"Anti-Inflammation Diet"

Options
VeganInTraining
VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
I have been a part of this group for a while but have not been very active. I have been eating relatively clean in that I hardly ever eat anything from a package, but wheat and sugar have definitely been a decent amount of my diet.

Well, after 2 spinal surgeries and messed up shoulders I have been looking at dietary solutions to my ailment. Today marks the first day of "The Anti-Inflammation Diet" as written by Jessica K. Black. Basically it's limited oils, nothing hydrogenated, nothing fried, no processed sugar, no flour (even wheat), no caffeine and no dairy. She also recommends eating as organically as possible. I imagine the next few days are going to be pretty difficult but I am dedicated. I need to be out of pain and if this may help then I'm willing to try it.

So basically I'm just posting here to tell you all what I'm up too and to get a little support. I'm sure this weekend is pretty much going to feel like going through detox. (which is pretty much what will be happening)

Replies

• kami89
    kami89 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So with this new change in diet, what will your daily foods look like? I am just curious, as I too have back problems. L3-5 and S1. Back issues are a terrible terrible thing. I hope this helps, and I will be following you to see how you feel!! Good luck!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    How has it been going? Are you sticking to it? Finding any unexpected benefits or challenges?
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    Though I don't eat any of the stuff mentioned in the diet in mass, it has proved rather hard to give it all up at once. So I'm starting with dairy and then next week will add in something else. With the "no dairy" I'm also trying to limit fried foods and wheat. If nothing else, this has made me very aware of what I'm putting in my body and the foods I used to mindlessly eat before. I REALLY hope it helps my shoulder but either way I think it will be great for my health
  • alwaysmoody
    alwaysmoody Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I will be following this too. I had back surgery last Sept and I'm still having a lot of pain in my lower back, left butt cheek (lol) and left leg. The Dr said to lose weight. Well, I lost almost 40 lbs. and still having pain! I will do anything to stop the pain.
  • heidienglund
    heidienglund Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I had a lot of inflamation in my back because of Multiple Sclerosis, as soon as I was diagnosed I went off of hydrogenated anything. Then I went gluten free. It was easy because there are so many substitutes out there for everything. Now I am practicing clean eating as best I can. I still have half as much dairy, and about half the sugar I used to, so I am making progress on those things. what you need to find are the substitutes you can live with. I like almond milk, and coconut milk. I also like Udi's gluten free bread, and Lundberg gluten free pasta. It is a process changing the way you eat, do it one step at a time, and the change will stick. I really feel a lot better, so I am inspired to keep my changes!! good luck!
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    Hi there! I had a lot of inflamation in my back because of Multiple Sclerosis, as soon as I was diagnosed I went off of hydrogenated anything. Then I went gluten free. It was easy because there are so many substitutes out there for everything. Now I am practicing clean eating as best I can. I still have half as much dairy, and about half the sugar I used to, so I am making progress on those things. what you need to find are the substitutes you can live with. I like almond milk, and coconut milk. I also like Udi's gluten free bread, and Lundberg gluten free pasta. It is a process changing the way you eat, do it one step at a time, and the change will stick. I really feel a lot better, so I am inspired to keep my changes!! good luck!

So, am I correct to presume that changing your diet helped? I have been close to dairy free for a week now and I can't comment on how I'm feeling. I got a cortisone injection and while I feel great now, I can't tell if it's from the injection or the diet change. Guess we'll see in a few weeks
  • cita175
    cita175 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    So with this new change in diet, what will your daily foods look like? I am just curious, as I too have back problems. L3-5 and S1. Back issues are a terrible terrible thing. I hope this helps, and I will be following you to see how you feel!! Good luck!

Hi, same problems as you! Have you cut out dairy?
  • heidienglund
    heidienglund Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You know with all the things we do to feel better it is hard to tell what exactly works, but I am convinced that so far all the changes I have made; diet, exercise, meds; have made me feel incredibly better. There are challenges with eating with other people, or eating out, and it's up to me to stick with what I know is the best for me. Indian food is my next trick; they use tumeric, which also helps with inflamation, and they cook lots of veggies, eat good rice, and the flavors are awesome. I got a gluten free, chemical free, dinner kit at the store so I can make a whole dinner cleanly!!! yay! I hope you are feeling better!
  • cita175
    cita175 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks.
  • paledi
    paledi Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I will be following you as I also have pain issues from degenerative joint disease. Keep posting and good luck!
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the way we should all be eating :happy:
    You could try eating some turmeric as well, it has powerful antiinflammatory properties.