Now that I'm almost ready for weights, what is YOUR routine?

Options
Just so this doesn't get lost in the other thread, I'd love to hear your general work out routine. Going from an all cardio mindset/class mindset, to lifting weights and working particular parts of my body (which will eventually effect the WHOLE body), I just don't know where to begin.

So, how many days do you work out a week? What is your routine? How often weights? When do you do cardio? When, and what is, rest days? Resting from weights or resting period???

THANK you, THANK you!!:smooched:

Replies

• jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I do P90X: 3 days lifting/strength, 2 - 3 days cardio (plyometrics/kickboxing/cardioX) I do weights and cardio on alternate days.
    I walk the dog everyday for an hour as well, so this puts my cardio up a bit more than required, but it has to be done! :smile:
    I get one 'rest' day from heavy workouts and just walk the dog that day.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    If you have droid or iphone...get JEFIT app downloaded today! It has a starting lifting routine and a nice db of moves you can add to your workout or build a new one with....it tracks your weights, it times your rest period, and then next lift you know what you did the last time and can go up in weights.

A good starting book is New Rules of Lifting Weights for Women. You can plug into JEFIT each of the routines and forgot to mention the BEST part if you download the app and the additional ..oh I forget what it is called...but it will give you the demonstration of the exercise...LOVE IT!
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    If you have droid or iphone...get JEFIT app downloaded today! It has a starting lifting routine and a nice db of moves you can add to your workout or build a new one with....it tracks your weights, it times your rest period, and then next lift you know what you did the last time and can go up in weights.

A good starting book is New Rules of Lifting Weights for Women. You can plug into JEFIT each of the routines and forgot to mention the BEST part if you download the app and the additional ..oh I forget what it is called...but it will give you the demonstration of the exercise...LOVE IT!

Downloading.....Now!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

Downloading.....Now!

Me too! I have the book and love it, the app would be a great bonus!
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options

Downloading.....Now!

Me too!!!! I saw someone refer to looking at an app for NROLFW, but I couldn't find it. Many thanks!!
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I think a good starting place would be New Rules of Lifting for Women. There are also alot of free apps out there. Bodybuilding.com is another good source of info. Jamie Eason's Live Fit trainer is a good program if you have access to a gym.
    I prefer to work out at home as I have alot of little ones and there seem to be frequent interruptions to my schedule. Working out at home has allowed me to be much more consistent in my workouts. Bottom line: Do what works for you!!!
    I started doing p90x but have been turned on to Cathe Friedrich videos in the last year. http//: cathe.com
    She is the best! I just finished doing her STS program. (dont worry I dont get paid anything for my endorsement, :P). I was amazed at how much stronger I got at the end. If you have the extra funds it is definitely worth the investment. You can either buy the DVD package or get a downloadable form that you can download to a smart phone/ipad/ipod/etc.
  • trosewine
    trosewine Posts: 88
    Options
    Check out this recent thread from this group, too!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/577923-is-lifting-heavy-a-must
  • nikkijoshua
    nikkijoshua Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I think a good starting place would be New Rules of Lifting for Women. There are also alot of free apps out there. Bodybuilding.com is another good source of info. Jamie Eason's Live Fit trainer is a good program if you have access to a gym.
    I prefer to work out at home as I have alot of little ones and there seem to be frequent interruptions to my schedule. Working out at home has allowed me to be much more consistent in my workouts. Bottom line: Do what works for you!!!
    I started doing p90x but have been turned on to Cathe Friedrich videos in the last year. http//: cathe.com
    She is the best! I just finished doing her STS program. (dont worry I dont get paid anything for my endorsement, :P). I was amazed at how much stronger I got at the end. If you have the extra funds it is definitely worth the investment. You can either buy the DVD package or get a downloadable form that you can download to a smart phone/ipad/ipod/etc.

Another endorsement for Cathe Friedrich from me. She's awesome!
  • mommynmotion
    mommynmotion Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I agree! Cathe's STS is great!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    So, how many days do you work out a week? What is your routine?
    How often weights? When do you do cardio? When, and what is, rest days? Resting from weights or resting period???

THANK you, THANK you!!:smooched:

I do stronglifts 3 days a week (M, W, F). When I do stronglifts I throw in some "accessory lifts" to work on some smaller, specific muscles and a little ab work.

I do this on my break at work. Typically it takes me about 40-45 minutes...I'm in the weight room all by myself. I teach and coach so I'm usually our facility at our school.

I run usually 1 day a week (whenever my schedule works to fit it in with my husband beind able to watch my son). It's usually 5+ miles. I am going to be running a little more when I get off for summer break.

I try to walk or hike with my son on the 5th day of working out. I hike with him on my back (in a carrier) so that's 30 lbs back there and it's tough! :)

Other than the Monday, Wednesday, Friday lifting routine, my cardio is whenever I can fit it in.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I see that the amount of weight you're each using is based on what an individual can handle BUT.....

could any of you give us an idea of what you're lifting??

I could really use a clearer expanation of "heavy" lifting since it would help me decide WHERE I'm going to do these workouts.
    (I don't see me buying 40, 50 or more pound weights for a home workout~ I'll use the gym)

• 12by311
    Options
    Right now these are my workout lifts (not maxes, with good form):

Squats: 125
    Bench: 110 (however, this is a smith machine because I lift alone and done have a spotter)
    Deadlift: 80
    Curls: 20
    Tri-extension: 30

Machine work varies....lat pulldown and things like that are around 90-100 lbs. Leg extension 80 lbs (plates). Hamstring Curl 120 lbs. Leg presses 180 (plates).
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Right now these are my workout lifts (not maxes, with good form):

Squats: 125
    Bench: 110 (however, this is a smith machine because I lift alone and done have a spotter)
    Deadlift: 80
    Curls: 20
    Tri-extension: 30

Machine work varies....lat pulldown and things like that are around 90-100 lbs. Leg extension 80 lbs (plates). Hamstring Curl 120 lbs. Leg presses 180 (plates).

THANK YOU for the actual numbers!! Just wanted to get an idea of where I MIGHT be some day!!

Your hamstring curls are very impressive~ the most I ever, ever, EVER did was 80 pds!!! Would LOVE to beat that some day!!
  • 12by311
    Options
    You are welcome.

My ham curls are on a machine (no plates) so it does make a difference in the weight used.
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    So I am a whole lot weaker than 12by311 but here is what I am doing and I only use Dumbells cause I don't have a gym membership

Also the fact that I am doing a program and insists that you lift very slow and deliberate using no momentum could also be why I am at a lower weight (though this could just be my mind trying to make up for me being weak) :laugh:

Squats - 50lbs (2 -25lb DB)
    Curls - 15lbs
    bench - 30lbs (2- 15lbs DB)
    Deadlift - 50lbs (2 - 25lb DB)
    Tricep extension - 10lbs
    Chest fly 10lbs
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I'm doing NROL4W 3 days per week, LIGHT recovery cardio and stretching 2 days per week, moderate cardio 1 day and a real rest day once per week.