Muscles, Y U NO HURT?

Options
Misiaxcore
Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
So I feel this is a rather silly question, but the forums and Google haven't adequately addressed my concern.

After NOT working out for a month at all, I started doing this program and my muscles haven't had the usual soreness that happens when I start a new workout regime.

I started this program before in January for two weeks, after completing Ripped in 30 and doing a few weeks of Insanity, and holy lasagna my muscles REALLY hurt then! The hurt that limits movement xD

I'm wondering why they don't hurt now ;( My hamstrings felt a little tight after the first workout, and after the second workout my triceps were sore, but not the sore I felt before and usually expect.

I started with heavier weights now than back then, too. Some exercises I struggle to get my 15 reps in (sometimes I can't even complete 15).

My protein intake is also a lot lower now than it was back then =/

This just doesn't make sense to me :grumble:

Could it be that my form is totally off? Should I try to lift heavier? Or is this really not a problem at all?

I never seriously started a heavy lifting program before, so sorry if this is a really dumb question. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    The same thing is happening with me. No DOMS during Stage 1, which I thought was unusual, since every other time I started a program, I was so sore I could hardly walk! I just started Stage 2 and have very minimal soreness/tightness. I know I'm lifting heavy enough because, like you, I'm struggling with the last few reps. I have no idea why I'm not experiencing the usual discomfort.
  • scubacat
    scubacat Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in thoughts on this as well
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I just completed stage 1 week 1 and I feel the same way...
  • Misiaxcore
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one :tongue:

I just really really hope I'm not wasting my time. I'm stuck with the "no pain, no gain" mentality :embarassed:
  • oonga
    oonga Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Maybe you guys are really well conditioned?

I have no clue sorry,just that popped into my mind, so thought i would share LOL
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i rarely got DOMS in stage 1 but stage 2 it's pretty much been constant. deadlifts+ split squat combo kills my hamstrings and hips.. front squat push press DOMinates my shoulders and hips.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I'm now on stage 3 and I still haven't had much in the way of DOMS. If I'm honest, think I could lift heavier for some exercises. But for others I've definitely been working to the point of failure. No idea why some people are getting it and others not - strange, isn't it?
  • nickm21
    nickm21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Same here I have only done the first 2 stage one work outs, but no real soreness.
  • CharleneExtreme
    Options
    Phew! Its not just me....
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    As someone having a huge case of doms doms doms, I have to say I am jealous.
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I wished I wasn't sore!

My two cents? As long as you are lifting as heavy as you can, you should be fine, especially if lifting to fatigue. Just don't cheat yourself out of DOMS if you are not pushing it at hard as you can. If (for example) the swiss crunches are too easy, add weights or increase your reps a bit more.

Also, be fastidious about a good warm up and keeping the minimal rest periods. Go at it hard and fast and do the exercises in order. That's how they were designed to work.

Good luck!
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    What are DOM's? Sorry.. I know stupid question.
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    DOMS = delayed onset muscle soreness
  • Misiaxcore
    Options
    Yup. No idea what's wrong with my muscles. Increased the weights for my squats by 20lbs in one go. Nothing...

At least I know I'm getting stronger, which is what counts. I tried lifting that weight near the beginning of stage 1 and almost fell over xD

ETA: Maybe if I was able to increase by that much, I'm not lifting to my full potential ? :huh: But then that doesn't explain why my muscles don't hurt from exercises that I struggle to get all the reps in. -sigh-
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I haven't started the program yet (waiting for my book to arrive from Amazon) - but I do Crossfit and lift heavy...for me it really depends on what I am doing - some days we can do a bunch of lifts and I am fine - another day - same lift load and OMG (right now recovering from many a thruster from doing the Fran WOD). If I make sure I really stretch before and after the muscle soreness is lessened...
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Just finished stage 3 and should have started stage 4 today. But I have yet to feel any soreness and yes I lift as heavy as I can for the amount of reps specified so I dont know much else to do. I posted a similar topic a few days ago and really didnt get an answer except maybe my form is off. I think it was okay so thinking NR isnt for me, I dont know. But other programs like Supreme90 or bob harpers DVDs really get me the feel I want the next day or two soooo....

Thankyou for posting so you can get answers and so I know I'm not insane. :)
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Just finished stage 3 and should have started stage 4 today. But I have yet to feel any soreness and yes I lift as heavy as I can for the amount of reps specified so I dont know much else to do. I posted a similar topic a few days ago and really didnt get an answer except maybe my form is off. I think it was okay so thinking NR isnt for me, I dont know. But other programs like Supreme90 or bob harpers DVDs really get me the feel I want the next day or two soooo....

I don't think you should stop simply because you don't get DOMS - it doesn't have to mean you aren't developing muscle mass.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options

I don't think you should stop simply because you don't get DOMS - it doesn't have to mean you aren't developing muscle mass.

I keep hearing though that your muscles need to heal and this builds muscle but nothing ever is sore so nothing is healing. Is this not true?
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I didn't get anything until 3 sets...and then only the first time I did it. No idea why though"!!