Car Accident

Options
I was in a car accident back in November with my two little ones in the back seat. They made it out fine, meaning no broken bones, my youngest had major swelling and bruising to his face with a concussion (sp?) My older one just had seatbelt bruises. Me however, the driver, ended up with a fractured patella, transverse. Transverse means the bone was broken horizontally. The worst way you could fracture your patella, as if it was vertical I wouldnt have had to have surgery. But I did. And I was out 6 weeks in a leg cast. Two screws and some wire later and I started physical therapy, its almost over (they are trying to release me) I however dont have full range of motion, they tell me that just comes with time, so I am a sitting duck pretty much. I dont feel ready to be done with it. So they told me I can come once a week. Ugh. Anyways... I was 150 before the accident and made my way up to 175 (shoot me now) ugh I havent been this big since I was 9 months pregnant!! Like really??? 175??? Who does that? Im 5'3. And I am down to 170ish. This is not normal. Sooooooo my goal before my camping trip in July is to get down to 145. Please tell me I can do this?!!! I am able to do a brisk walk, I try to jog a little but I cant land correct with my right leg (injured leg) causing shooting pains, but I am getting better. Anyways... Thanks for reading!!

Replies

• Shoelips33
    Shoelips33 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have been through a lot and are persevering. Always remember that recovering from injury is not just a physical thing, but a mental recovery as well. Stay strong in spirit and optomism and know that with your determination your will be able to reach your goals. Life's challenges only solidify how strong you are as a person. Think of your recovery as an opportunity to try new and innovative ways to do the things you remember as once being easy. For example... perhaps jogging in a swimming pool would be the initial step before jogging on land? Just a suggestion. Good luck. And so fortunate to hear that your children were not hurt in the accident.
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    You can do this! Your injury sounds horrible, and I am happy to hear your children made it out ok. As said, exercise in the water can do amazing things, and take so much stress off of your bones. Take it easy, but keep moving, and it will take time. I have not suffered an injury like yours, but your range of motion WILL, indeed come back with time.