I anyone else happier on Keto?

Options
Depression has always been a problem for me. Since I started Keto a few days ago, I've felt a lot happier in general.

Replies

• missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful news. Makes you wonder how many of us have lived under the fog of carbs...
  • SmartWhatever
    SmartWhatever Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I feel great in keto. I have more energy, feel more aware and just feel so much better in general. All this adds up to happy for me!
  • jehaines1
    jehaines1 Posts: 4
    Options
    I know I enjoy it. There is nothing more pleasing than having my coworkers tell me my "bacon and egg diet" is going to kill me. Then I show them my blood work. And see their face when my good cholesterol went up and the bad dropped big time. Everyone thinks i took meds. I just laugh.

Keto isn't a diet. It is the way our bodies were supposed to operate if you ask me. That's why it feels right.
  • cowboy_bob
    cowboy_bob Posts: 2
    Options
    First few days were like detoxing from carbs, but after almost 2 weeks I'm shocked by how great I feel everyday.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I am on day 13 of Keto :)

I dont like to admit this but since the age of 11 I have had crushing depression and all of my adulthood (Im 30). The first week on Keto I felt sluggish a tad irritated etc nothing not normal in my book lol! but then one day I woke up and wasnt depressed!? Like the first time in my adulthood I woke up and felt normal and good.. I thought Maybe it was just "a rare good day" But then the next day I woke up same thing happen! Im convinced now that since I had a "good week" It has to be the diet lol!

Now people are asking me what is going on with me lol like... why are you so happy?! I dont know the hows or whys of it but i think carbs/sugars made me depressed :/ if anyone knows why please explain! Im very intrested in this.
  • laurieblair2012
    Options
    Excerpt from a Psychology Today article...

"Carbohydrates are the classic feel-good food. Carbohydrate-rich foods enable the mood-enhancing amino acid tryptophan to enter the brain, where it's used to produce the neurotransmitter serotonin. However, if you eat carbohydrates that produce a short surge of glucose in your bloodstream (think carb foods made from white sugar, white flour, white rice, etc.) you'll get a short-lived sugar high and then get hit with a mood-wrecking crash. For a consistent positive mood, choose whole grain, high fiber carbohydrate sources with lasting power."

Entire article: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/prescriptions-life/200907/how-food-can-improve-your-mood-delicious-ways-prevent-depression
  • celebrity328
    Options
    That is so true! Thank you so much :)

I started to notice this trend where I be fine for half the day then end up in a foul mood by night.. I really think it was the sugar i was consuming (alot lol) Ive noticed such a huge change Im not going back :)!
  • kkmulholland
    Options
    YES! Way happier on keto. I think it's two things: the energy is so much better in that I'm not battling the "carb-coma" every day and just the overall freedom from cravings. It's amazing to drive by fast food restaurants and not look at them longingly. There is only so much "will-power" a person has and on any other plan, I could only go a few days before giving in to cravings and wrecking any progress I made. Keto may not be for everyone but I truly believe it's the best plan for me.
  • piriz81
    piriz81 Posts: 6
    Options
    Before Keto, I never would've imagined that a change in diet would impact my life this much. In addition to being happier since starting Keto in Jan, I've noticed that I'm mentally sharper, more energetic, productive & optimistic on Keto. Much the same for my wife as well - and as a bonus helps with her PCOS.
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I'm positve a keto diet is why my blood sugar is normal now after 8 years of type 2. So much so that my doc took me off my meds 3 weeks ago!
  • pedalynn
    pedalynn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Two weeks in... seriously Happy. I feel friggin superhuman.
    I take prozac daily and am wondering if I will be able to drop it soon.

Also, I'm usually crippled mood-wise with PMS.
    This week- No mood swings at all. Amazing.
    Want to stay on this plan for the Mind as well as the body benefits!

Feel free to add me. :)
  • celebrity328
    Options
    I was on Prozac for years and just stop taking them because they caused weight gain etc... I got put on Welbutrin because it had less side effects etc.

I can say that before I started Keto I had some serious mood swings/crushing depresison and after 3 days GONE. I have had moments in the last couple of weeks where I was depressed but nothing like where I was before Keto.. not even close! Im not suggesting you get off medication etc yet maybe talk to your doctor before doing that :) But Im really glad that its working for you and keep up the good work!
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    utterly joyful, clear headed, energetic :) I love Life~!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i always wonder how people hate being in ketosis or said it didn't work for them.. then i'm like, well they probably never ate correctly.
  • TheyCallMeTaterSalad
    Options
    Yes!!! I am so much happier & nicer. I have never felt better in my life, and I don't feel like committing murder now due to PMS. LOL
  • danielg810
    danielg810 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Everydays different for me! sometimes I go too long on keto and i have a bad day, other days I just kick *kitten* n take names NBD.
    One day on keto I found out was horrible and its becasue i took primrose oil thinking it was an omega 3 LOL never doing that again!
  • emisu2
    emisu2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yes, most definitely!!
  • dovek11
    dovek11 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am Celiac (gluten kills me, literally). Didn't find out until age 50! Struggled all my life with health issues and crushing depression, bouts of paranoia and anxiety. Constant, never ending brain fog. I actually have no memory of several years of my life, which I now know was gluten.
    I spent my life feeling like my mind was peeking thru one slat of mini blinds. Thats all the light that shined in me.
    Even tho gluten was poisoning me, I had horrid withdraws for 3 days, and then it was like someone yanked up those mini blinds and the daylight shone on me. My mind was clearer (and continues to improve), and I have such a bubbly cheerful personality! I always KNEW I was a happy person!!!! When the gluten blanket came off, the real me shone through.
    I am an overweight celiac, and I found the Keto diet to be the only way to achieve weight loss for my body. My body doesn't like carbs in general I guess!!!!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    So far yes, and the day something nearly knocked me out of Keto, I was really cranky. But the heat still makes me rage, so it's not a cure all, or not for me.
  • girlcube
    girlcube Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I feel happier, or at least on a more even keel. Also celebrating a bit of a fwoosh because the scale was down 3 lbs this morning after not budging for a week.