Thigh Chaffing

Options
justagirl2013
justagirl2013 Posts: 226 Member
I hesitate to post this, but I need help. I'll see my doctor if it does not get better.

Monday I cut grass for 3 hours, and then again yesterday for 2 hours. It's hot, and humid. I wore my regular cotton shorts that I always wear when I garden/cut grass. I've NEVER had chaffing when wearing these shorts, until this week. My thighs are huge too, hardly fitting into my jeans <sigh>

Maybe too graphic, but my inside thighs are a bloody mangled mess. I've doctored it up with neosporin and some peroxide. I was going to run tonight but I can't even walk without crying.

Is there anything to do for this? I'm hoping my thighs will shrink so this won't happen again in 2 weeks, but what can I do to prevent it? I've worn the same shorts for 2 years of push mowing this yard with no issues previously. Even cut it 4 other times this year! This baffles me!

Replies

• techmom29
    techmom29 Posts: 103
    Options
    I am sorry to hear about your pain! Youch! I used to get chaffing a lot when I waitressed for 12 hours and had to wear hose all the time.

First off, don't use peroxide. Just some mild soapy water to clean, rinse and let dry. Try to let as much air to the area as possible. So if you have to sit around in your undies, so be it.

To aid in healing you may want to consider diaper rash medications. I know it sounds weird but it should give you some relief. Look for a powder called Caldense It is in a pink bottle with a flip top (at least the last time I purchased it).

An anti-inflammatory would help with the pain, too. Ibuprofen is a good one if it doesn't bother your stomach.

HTH
  • cazsyl
    cazsyl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you live but in the UK you can get chaffing cream like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lanacane-Anti-Chafing-Gel/dp/B0015X8418/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336180672&sr=8-1

Maybe you'd be able to get some and hope it helps as it sounds very sore.
  • techmom29
    techmom29 Posts: 103
    Options
    Oh, and you could apply ice to help reduce the swelling. Just use a soft cloth in between so it doesn't touch the skin. Do intervals of on and off with the ice. Don't just leave it while you watch TV or go to bed.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Once its all healed, get some Body Glide - most running stores and sports places carry it - works wonders and you can put it on your thighs, bra line, under-arms, and feet to prevent chafing and blisters...
    I ran with it in summer, and walked all over Disney World in denim shorts that would get wet, dry, get rained on and so on -no chafing...
  • justagirl2013
    justagirl2013 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Y'all are 100% awesome!

I will definitely look into the body glide and lanacane! I can't do Ibuprofen (interacts with a med I am on) but I can definitely do some ice!

Thank you so much!
  • lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Eucerin Aquaphor healing ointment/skin protectant! You can put it on now to heal, and use it later similar to the body glide! (ETA they sell it at walmart, etc.)