Nutritionists talks set point theory correct?

Options
believeandtry
believeandtry Posts: 64 Member
Basically, she said the body has a preferred weight it tries to maintain.

You see I have lost some weight and couldn't lose anymore (it has been about a year). I was stuck at the 145#, eating 1500 regardless of exercise. And my nutritionist said maybe this is your set point weight. Since discovering this group, I have not gone to see my nutritionist, but I have stuck to eating 1800 for the past 3.5 weeks and my scale this register a 2.2 lb gain the last time I checked (I freaked out but am going to wait it out). I am wondering will eating more help me break out of this set point weight or will I eventually always go back to 145?

Weight: 145 (147.2 last time i checked; which was last Sat 4/28/2012)
Height:5'6"
exercise: 3-5 times a week of Crossfit

#1 I am hoping my initial gain is not a gain at all but my body adjusting and CROSSING my fingers adn HOLDING my breath that it will come down...right?
#2 can i get to my goal weight of 125-130#? is there a true set point weight?

Thoughts? Opinions?

Replies

• GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I had a goal at ww of 66kg and got there and for 18 months I have been stuck at 66.6kg...the devils number...lol. So I'm hoping eating more and giving my body more rest will help . But I am going to concentrate on cms and body fat.

So I totally know what you mean:sad: :laugh:
  • believeandtry
    Options
    I know! it's so frustrating :( but reset mode is a work in process right now... lets give it some time!

anyone else? thoughts?
  • believeandtry
    Options
    anyone else?????
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I beleive I have read your set point can be changed. If you stay at a certain weight long enough your body resets to that weight. As far as I read.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I would need to do some research on this one, but I would think that there is a natural weight for each person. I also think that we focus on numbers so much and really through heavy lifting we can obtain a goal size and carry a high number bec of lean muscle tissue.

Are you taking measurements? Does crossfit incorporate strength training?
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Basically, she said the body has a preferred weight it tries to maintain.

You see I have lost some weight and couldn't lose anymore (it has been about a year). I was stuck at the 145#, eating 1500 regardless of exercise. And my nutritionist said maybe this is your set point weight. Since discovering this group, I have not gone to see my nutritionist, but I have stuck to eating 1800 for the past 3.5 weeks and my scale this register a 2.2 lb gain the last time I checked (I freaked out but am going to wait it out). I am wondering will eating more help me break out of this set point weight or will I eventually always go back to 145?

Weight: 145 (147.2 last time i checked; which was last Sat 4/28/2012)
    Height:5'6"
    exercise: 3-5 times a week of Crossfit

#1 I am hoping my initial gain is not a gain at all but my body adjusting and CROSSING my fingers adn HOLDING my breath that it will come down...right?
    #2 can i get to my goal weight of 125-130#? is there a true set point weight?

Thoughts? Opinions?

At 5'6 125-130 seems like too low of a goal. Im 5'2 and 130 and I look and feel great. Thats not to say its not attainable, but definately hard work to get there.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Just for a little perspective, I put up this picture. I am 5' 7.75" 156ish pounds (just depends on water weight...154ish who knows...lol). And no one ever guesses my weight. I wear size 4 and 6's...working to get off a wee bit of fat to get into all my 4's.

If we could focus more on building lean muscle mass, it takes up less space and burns off fat, so you really don't care what the scale says. 140 used to be my dream wgt, but when I was that weight I was way more fleshy and still fit only 4/6's... and hear I am way heavier and almost that same size...

Hope this helps.