training questions

Options
kensky
kensky Posts: 472 Member
Forgive me, I feel like I can't stop talking about the first powerlifting competition I signed up for that's taking place in late July.

Currently, I do a 5x5 routine (stronglifts) and I'm wondering if there is something better. Before Stronglifts, I did a bit of Starting Strength before giving up on teaching myself power cleans. Before that I did a long run of New Rules of Lifting for Women. I am finding that the last few sets of my 5x5 for things like squats and bench (nevermind the dreaded OHP) are becoming laughably horrible. I am hesitant to up my weights on this program if I fail the last reps of the 4th or 5th set. But I *do* want to up my weight...very much! Is there a better program for new powerlifters? I am a 37 year old 129 lber who can consistently squat 105 with good form for 5 sets of 5. Same goes for 5 sets of 70 lb bench and 1 set of 5 reps on a 135 deadlift.

I don't wrap or belt anything. Would this help my numbers?

I eat at about 200 cal deficit thinking I may try to get down to the lower weight class before July. Would bumping up my calories to my TDEE (2000ish) make a noticeable difference in my lifts?

Replies

• msue482
    msue482 Posts: 55
    Options
    I consider myself a "newbie" in powerlifting myself as I will be competing in my first meet next month.

Maybe try Wendler's 5-3-1? Don't be afraid to go up in numbers. You can obviously max higher if you are repping those weights by 5.
  • kensky
    Options
    I am going to have a 1RM max tomorrow and see how it flies. I hesitate to switch programs after only a few months on Stronglifts but I do think that I need to shift gears from time to time...at least in order to reassure myself that I am progressing enough to achieve my (humble) goals.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I use to set myself up to peak when meet time came around.
  • kensky
    Options
    Say, Zilla, what do you mean by this exactly. I mean, this sounds like something I'd aim to do but...how?
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    I'm kinda different, I stay under 6 reps most of the time. I have no light or medium days. I do a lot of lockouts,chains,forced reps and negatives throughout the year. But I make sure that I bring it all together for the meet. Usually after a month and a half of lockouts I would start back on the flat bench and work my way up to my new max in about a month and a half. So its a 3 month cycle. Regular routines I warm up then do a couple sets with what I call get the feel of the heavy for a rep. Usually less than a 100 lbs. from my max. Then I'll do my new max, drop 20 lbs.do 2 reps drop 20 more and do 4 drop 20 more and do 6. I don't pyramid because you will burn out before you get to the heavy weight. But coming off of say the lockouts I would start back benching with sets of 10 and every workout drop 2 reps in my sets while adding adding more weight. Lockouts are tough on the joints but great for gaining strength. Squats too, lockouts would be like partial squats with weight above your max rep. But all this has to time just right for a meet. 3 to 4 meets a year max for me. I hope to start back in the meets this fall after a 10 year lay off.
  • kensky
    Options
    Oh, okay. See, I'm just doing stronglifts 5x5 with the odd day dedicated to seeing what my latest 1RM is. I'm finding out this is not the ideal powerlifting training protocol but I am thinking I will stick with it until the meet in late July. I will get more into partials and lockouts I'm sure when I can safely no longer be called a newbie lifter. Bear in mind, my big goal for this competition is that I break 500 (certainly 400 oh please god) and otherwise not embarrass myself.
  • rdzilla
    rdzilla Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Training fives is good for a base of where your max strength might be. But usually about 1.5 to 2 months out from a competition you'll want to be doing all one rep maxes, forced reps and facilitated reps (I prefer bands) so your body has time to adjust to such heavy weights. You could take your max today doing a 1 rep and two months from now, after working on single reps, it'll be much, much higher because your body starts to get more comfortable and trained to facilitate the heavier weight.

I'm with Zilla on just about 100% of what he said. My training is a little different but, on a whole, his post was right on. Love that you have a goal in mind for your first competition. Think hitting 500 is an awesome goal and wish you the best of luck.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    5X5 is good for gaining strength but if you don't become accustomed to lower reps and especially singles you will be in unfamiliar territory when you get to the meet and won't know where to begin for lifts.
  • kensky
    Options
    I am excited to find this beginner powerlifting routine. The whole article was super helpful esp. in terms of stuff like "peaking". I am psyched that I have the time to make this happen before the meet.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dennis6.htm
  • kensky
    Options
    I only just found out that my upcoming meet (6 weeks away) is a push-pull event. This kinda sucks as my squats are not that cruddy....not like my 80 lb. (at 132) bench.

Keeping in mind that I've "just" been training since October, would there be any tweaks/tips you think I should use to really focus on my bench and deads?

So far, I am leaning toward still having a squat/bench/dead day with assistance exercises (like skullcrushers on bench day, RDL on deadlift day...that sort of thing) since the squat will help with my deadlift. Plus, contest or no I want to keep gaining on my squat goals.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I think if you're still progressing linearly then stick with the 5x5 for now.
    Once you've exhausted the quick and easy gains, look into 5/3/1.
    It's simple and it's worked well for me so far.

A belt will possibly help you lift more depending on if you're using it properly. You may be holding yourself back by not using one, just depends.

I suck with knee wraps, but a lot of people can get 10-20 pounds out of them.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Knee wraps along with lift suits will help your numbers. but you have to get used to training in them. The suits are a pain to get on. You need at least one other person to put the suit on and one person experienced in knee wraps to do your knees correctly
  • kensky
    Options
    This is a raw meet. I know that lift suits/bench shirts are not allowed. Not sure about knee wraps but since I don't train with them (or a belt) then I'll keep them off for now. The plan, as of right now, is to lift in "bike" shorts and a teeshirt.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    If those bike shorts offer any form of compression I'd say they aren't allowed.
    Most meets require singlets, allow belts along with wrist and knee wraps.

Id definitely reccommend learning to use a belt.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    PM UDail and he can tell you what is allowed in the raw division. I read on one federation that for raw you could use Neoprene knee supports and a certain belt. Udail is a judge and in this group so he can help I'm sure. I think you need to read the rules in what ever federation you are entered in. They should have that info online. Also the people in this group are active and can tell you which Federation is better.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    Yep. You'd just have to tell us what fed it is.
    And take some time to go over the rules of your federation. In my opinion, you want to take advantage of every opportunity you have to add pounds to your lifts. (learning to use a belt, knee sleeves, etc) if you have the time.

Raw typically means, wear a singlet, wrist wraps, knee wraps, and a belt.
    Underwear under the singlet, (not compression/supportive underwear)

You also want to know the rules and pay close attention to the commands for each lift.
    My 1st and 2nd squat attemps got red lights in my first meet because I didn't wait for the rack command.
    You don't want to bomb out on your first meet because you didn't take the time to read the rules.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Yep. You'd just have to tell us what fed it is.
    And take some time to go over the rules of your federation. In my opinion, you want to take advantage of every opportunity you have to add pounds to your lifts. (learning to use a belt, knee sleeves, etc) if you have the time.

Raw typically means, wear a singlet, wrist wraps, knee wraps, and a belt.
    Underwear under the singlet, (not compression/supportive underwear)

You also want to know the rules and pay close attention to the commands for each lift.
    My 1st and 2nd squat attemps got red lights in my first meet because I didn't wait for the rack command.
    You don't want to bomb out on your first meet because you didn't take the time to read the rules.

This^^

Practice your lifts with someone doing the comp calls for you, it can really psyche you out in your first comp. In particular I found that even though I don't bounce my bench, holding at the bottom for the call was really hard.
  • kensky
    Options
    On the SMSG site they mention bike shorts being allowed. I may find a singlet just in case. I do know that the event is "unsanctioned" so I take that to mean they are not affiliated with any other group/fed besides themselves. That is a guess. Another thing I know (recently found out) is that these games are where this lifter ---> http://www.sweatpit.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=becky got her start.