a routine for maintenance?

Options
FoxyMcDeadlift
FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
Hi guys,

Im not looking to do any serious racing for now, and want to focus on weightlifting for awhile, but i want to build a maintenance routine around my training. so that i'd be ready to train up to a half or full fairly easily from it

I will be lifting Mon (Legs) WEds (chest) Fri (legs) and would like to run on my rest days. So i was thinking

Mon - Legs
Tues - base mileage, 5 miles - 10k
Weds - Chest
Thurs - Speedwork.
Fri - Back
Sat: Base mileage
Sun: LSR probably 7-12 miles

How does that sound? I had previously used Hal Higdons Spring training and quite liked it, should i just do one of them again?

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51268/Spring-Running-Training-Program

Thanks

Replies

• bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i think that your plan looks great, and that it should keep your running at a really good level. although, aren't you ever going to have a day off?
  • _kimberly
    _kimberly Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You might want to check out Runner's World "Run Less Run Faster." Only run 3 days a week (also doing bricks/triathlon training- or in your case, lifting) Also training for Boston Qualifying times.

Runner's World Run Less Run Faster: Become A Faster, Stronger Runner With The Revolutionary FIRST Training Program.
    Bill Pierce, Scott Murr, and Ray Moss.

This program has scheduled day(s) off for recovery.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Looks like a solid maintenance plan to me.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do the speedwork until 4 weeks after the marathon. Keep it nice and easy until then.

After, you want to ask you self "What kind of speed work do I want to do and for what purpose?"

You can really only effectively build speed for about 6 weeks before you flatten out. Then you have to use it. If it were me, I would add another day of running and not have a 'speed work day" per se, but on that day, do some strides one week, do so fartlek stuff another week, do a tempo run (important!). Keep your mileage up so you ready to roll into race training when the time comes.