HRM vs Machine vs MFP

justagirl2013
justagirl2013 Posts: 226 Member
So I decided to use an old HRM I had lying around to see if it would work at gym tonight. Here are my results, do I use them or not?

It's a Sportsline 915 Solo, very mixed reviews, but since I found it figured can't help but to use it.

Elliptical Trainer 20 minutes interval style
MFP- 276 calories
HRM- 357 calories
Machine: 102 calories
Difference : 81

Treadmill Couch 2 5k W3 D 2 28 minutes ( I did not get machine count on this one)
MFP: 199
HRM: 371
Difference 172

So, my question is, what do I use??? Do I keep with MFP's estimations or do I use the HRM? or what?

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    So I decided to use an old HRM I had lying around to see if it would work at gym tonight. Here are my results, do I use them or not?

It's a Sportsline 915 Solo, very mixed reviews, but since I found it figured can't help but to use it.

Elliptical Trainer 20 minutes interval style
    MFP- 276 calories
    HRM- 357 calories
    Machine: 102 calories
    Difference : 81

Treadmill Couch 2 5k W3 D 2 28 minutes ( I did not get machine count on this one)
    MFP: 199
    HRM: 371
    Difference 172

So, my question is, what do I use??? Do I keep with MFP's estimations or do I use the HRM? or what?

I found that mine ran. If you read reviews and they say it runs high then I would go with the lower ones.
  • justagirl2013
    justagirl2013 Posts: 226 Member
    Accuracy didn't seem to be an issue in the reviews, seemed most people that posted about the actual reading found it accurate. Reviews were more about it's easy to use and obtaining a reading (requires you to put your finger to the face for an instant reading...)

I think I'll keep using MFP's for now and keep track of what the HRM says too :) Maybe if I use it a few times it will give me more of a dependable rate? I really want a Polar Ft7 but I can't afford it right now.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Yes I hear the FT7 is pretty accurate. Ok I haven't researched in depth but I did read the hrms you place your finger on isn't very accurate bec it is not a constant monitoring of the heart so it only takes into consideration the heart rate at those intervals so it is averaging your hr to calc the cals.