strategy help

Options
oonga
oonga Posts: 336 Member
Hi Guys,

I am doing my first fun run ever, there will be 8000 people doing it, they have closed entries for it and had allowed 4000 people per wave, with 2 waves.

I know its not a HM seeing as its only 8km LOL

But i am wondering if those of you who have done fun runs could help please :)

My original strategy was to run hard a good tempo speed for the first 3km or so.

Then taper off somewhat, still go a decent speed somewhere between a tempo run and long run for about 2-3km?

Then km 6 & 7 back to a faster tempo run, then all out sprint for the last km.

Seeing as there will be so many people, am i better off changing that strategy??

I guess i won't really be able to go too fast for the first few km amongst the crowds??

Any ideas please :D

Replies

• Meegz84
    Meegz84 Posts: 74
    Options
    Geeeez girl your going to tire yourself out from the get go?! And if you can sprint a whole km I'll be amazed ;-) Is this for the Mothers Day Classic? I still need to register tomorrow :) I plan on going at a nice steady pace.. I'll pick it up near the end :)
  • oonga
    Options
    well i figure if i can do a tempo run for 7km i should be ok to run at a fast pace for most of it, considering i will be on adrenalin as well LOL
    which is also why i figure if i taper off the speed for some of it, i should be able to finish strong?

Yes its for the mothers day classic, you better enter soon. The melbourne online registrations closed last night early, due to overwhelming response :)
  • oonga
    Options
    no ideas / feedback from some of our seasoned / experienced runners? :smile:
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Anybody? I'm curious to hear from people who are experienced. I'm a newbie, so no advice oonga...sorry!
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Don't go out too fast. I would recommend starting slower and make up the time over the remainder of the race. I took this from a smartpacing website.
    http://www.smartpacing.com/index.php?page=smartpacing

During the warm-up, the body goes from inefficient fuel burning (converting oxygen, sugar/fat, electrolytes to energy) and waste removal (getting rid of lactic acid and built up heat) machine to a more efficient one. If you push too hard (even doing even pace), they risk using an inordinate amount of stored glycogen while accumulating an inordinate amount of lactic acid & hydrogen ions - a recipe for fatigue and ‘heavy legs’ for the final few miles of the race.
  • oonga
    Options
    WOW Jdelot! THANK YOU!! that is fantastic information!!!
    Just what i needed to hear pre race day :)

I feel much better now about just using the first few km as a warm up then easing into it! I love the scientific explanation in layman's terms!! I will be sure to not let the excitement and not wanting to be left behind at the start get to me!!

I love that article and how everyone knows you start slow, but most people forget it on the day LOL

Looking like rain here tomorrow, thankfully i have trained in rain and hail and thunder as well :)

A friend who has done 2 different 5km runs said so many people run all out for the first 2 km then start walking!
    The information you provided explains why!

Thanks again! :bigsmile: