Keto help?

Options
Hello everyone! I've been a keto member for about three months I'd like to say.
I dropped 16 lbs in two weeks quick, hit a plateau for about a month, gained two pounds, did some IF for three days, began dropping again (went 4 lbs in 2 days), lost another 3 in about a week and a half, and then gained two again. I've seem to be stuck in this awkward weight frame for a good portion of the diet, and I'm not sure what exactly I'm doing wrong.

My macros have been perfect, I usually keep my carbs under 10g anyways. My body fat percentage is large, so its not that I'm hitting my plateau because I'm getting to the last 10 lbs or something (I have a good 25-40 lbs to be in a healthy range.)

I'm really not sure what I should do anymore. :\ I'm starting to lose hope which is sad since Keto has been the only diet that has ever worked for me. But now it seems like I'm just stuck. Any ideas or helpful tips?

Replies

• SmartWhatever
    SmartWhatever Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been in Keto for about 3 months also! I too, had a huge loss in the first weeks, then it slowed. Although I haven't had any gains, I was the same weight for nearly 3 weeks at one point. I'm not sure if you're exercising at all but when I started doing lots of cardio I found that I lose about 2-4 lbs consistantly now. Do you keep track of your calories? I know some say you don't really have too, but I have found it makes a difference. Don't give up and good luck!
  • RustyDogma
    RustyDogma Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    . My body fat percentage is large, so its not that I'm hitting my plateau because I'm getting to the last 10 lbs or something (I have a good 25-40 lbs to be in a healthy range.)

Plateaus can happen at any time, and can sometimes last 2 to 3 months. I don't even consider it a plateau until it's been a month with no loss, as women tend to stay steady for long periods, and then lose a lot in a whoosh.

Caloric deficit does matter when you are as close as you are to healthy weight.

Count your calories and try a different exercise, eating daily 16/8 IF, or a cheat day to try to kickstart.. otherwise, as long as you are truly watching your calories, and keto is working for you (keeping you satiated), you will lose the weight.

Also, just a suggestion. There's no reason to go down to 10g of carbs. 10g of carbs means you are not eating enough veggies. You should try to get 20g from veggies (preferably green leafy ones) every day. Most folks after being on keto for a few months can go as high as 50-75g and still stay in ketosis (I tested it by trial and error and can go up to 40g, although at my calorie deficit it's easier to keep my macros at 25-30g). There's no advantage to going lower carb than it takes to stay in ketosis as long as you follow your macros and get most of your carbs from veggies.
  • Athigailwilliams
    Options
    Ah I should have clarified - I usually don't count my vegetable intake in my carb intake. I usually have at least a salad a day, and I mainly stick to green vegetables (i think I'm going to turn INTO an asparagus omnomnom)

As for working out, I do work out 3-4 times a day, 20 minutes cardio and 40 minutes strength because I hope to one day be able to bench press a bear.

I do count my calories, I'm usually ranging in between 800-1200. (I know 800 is low but I tend to be busy sometimes since I have school days from 8am until 8 or 9pm)

Thank you!
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    you are way too low on the calories.

you should be 60% fats
    15% carbs

get your calories up to 1400 a day. I swear it works. And make sure you are getting your essential minerals in you daily. You have to feed your metabolism!
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Your calories are WAY too low. WAY, WAY, too low. I would up them to 1400-1700, depending on how long you are working out and the intensity.