Newbie - on Metformin

Options
missrat
missrat Posts: 37 Member
Hi, I'm Ann, aged 66, from the UK, and have been diagnosed as having Type 2 diabetes for almost a year, having a strong family history. of it. I also have hypertension and raised cholesterol. My glucose levels and HbA1C have been good on Metformin, but I'd prefer better blood pressure control - my antidepressants have raised it. My GP seems less bothered than I am!

I need to get down from 12st 11lb (was 13st 8lb) to about 9st 7lb-10st, and particularly to reduce my waist measurement. Exercise is rather limited by arthritis and back pain. I want to resume swimming, but it's hard to fit in when the pool isn't too full.

I try to avoid red meat, and am moving towards vegetarianism.

Any tips welcome.

Replies

• Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Hi Ann, Kurt here from the USA-Wisconsin. I'm type 2, been for a few years. I used to be on metformin but the side effects were bad enough my endocrinologist changed my meds to glipizide and victoza. Slowly working the weight off here myself, hoping to get off the meds totally over time.

I was reading where there are some good light impact activities such as water aerobics that might work for you.

I dumped two doctors until I found one I like as they weren't listening to me. Good luck going forward
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Jackie & I've been on metformin for 2 years now. At first the side effect was terrible that I was in a near faint situation & I always feeling dizzy but then soon my body adapts to it.

As for exercise, I suggest to first consult with your doctor & a fitness professional to design a workout for you. Although walking is a great way to start with but definitely consult a professional considering your medical conditions.
  • NotThePest
    NotThePest Posts: 164
    Options
    I'm sixty and when I was diagnosed in 2001, I was a hot mess, also known as a HAM (Hot *kitten* Mess). I have arthrities also, spine, knees, fingers, wrists. When I began my walking exercises (Feb of 2006), I could only do 15 minutes of fast walking and it took me one hour to recover. Everything hurt but I pushed on because I didn't want to go out like I was (meaning die), broke down, etc. A couple of years before I turned 50, I bent down to get something that had rolled under a table and couldn't get up. I'm just telling you the state that I was in.

I can now do higher impact exercises (after getting joint strengthening exercises for my knees and wrist from a physical therapist. I have become an Exergamer (using video games to workout). Two years ago when my knees became unbearable, I got hold of a Wii, with the Wii Fit Plus (The Wii was a premium for switching phone providers), which helped greatly with my balance and core. I moved on the Walk It Out (in England, Step to the Beat), all the EA Sports Active games, Just Dance, Zumba, etc. I can now do an exercise session for up to 2,5/3 hours and my arthritis, believe it or not, doesn't bother me after doing sessions. In fact, when I take a rest day or go on vacation, the pain and stiffness comes back. It takes great faith to begin an exercise program when your joints hurt. Also, there are Sit and Get Fit exercise programs (DVDs and @ the YMWCA and/or YMWHAs).

At first diagnoses, my A1c was 11.9 now I usually keep a 5.6 and I manage that number using my exercises. Good luck to you, you can do it. By the way I'm on Metformin, I have a very overactive liver that kicks out glucose at the drop of a hat. That is down from the four I was originally placed on. :happy:
  • Lefty634
    Lefty634 Posts: 56
    Options
    Can you do like a recumbant bike or a NUstep both are sitting and easier on joints just go slow and use up the sugar in your system and blood pressure will follow.
  • glenner
    glenner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Did your dr. mention Syndrome X or Metabolic Syndrome (same thing, just different name)? My dr. told me that is what I have- it's when you have high blood pressure, high cholestrol and diabetes usually appearing around the same time. We carry fat in our tummy area. I am on Metformin (Glumetza which is time released so 3 pills at night), diamacron and Victoza. I want off diamacron because it causes weight gain but have to get my A1C down. I think I was around 8 last one but I have been doing better so I will see at the end of the month if i have improved.
  • LeannSz
    LeannSz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm sixty and when I was diagnosed in 2001, I was a hot mess, also known as a HAM (Hot *kitten* Mess). I have arthrities also, spine, knees, fingers, wrists. When I began my walking exercises (Feb of 2006), I could only do 15 minutes of fast walking and it took me one hour to recover. Everything hurt but I pushed on because I didn't want to go out like I was (meaning die), broke down, etc. A couple of years before I turned 50, I bent down to get something that had rolled under a table and couldn't get up. I'm just telling you the state that I was in.

I can now do higher impact exercises (after getting joint strengthening exercises for my knees and wrist from a physical therapist. I have become an Exergamer (using video games to workout). Two years ago when my knees became unbearable, I got hold of a Wii, with the Wii Fit Plus (The Wii was a premium for switching phone providers), which helped greatly with my balance and core. I moved on the Walk It Out (in England, Step to the Beat), all the EA Sports Active games, Just Dance, Zumba, etc. I can now do an exercise session for up to 2,5/3 hours and my arthritis, believe it or not, doesn't bother me after doing sessions. In fact, when I take a rest day or go on vacation, the pain and stiffness comes back. It takes great faith to begin an exercise program when your joints hurt. Also, there are Sit and Get Fit exercise programs (DVDs and @ the YMWCA and/or YMWHAs).

At first diagnoses, my A1c was 11.9 now I usually keep a 5.6 and I manage that number using my exercises. Good luck to you, you can do it. By the way I'm on Metformin, I have a very overactive liver that kicks out glucose at the drop of a hat. That is down from the four I was originally placed on. :happy:

Wow I think that's awesome. I agree the best way is to start little by little and build up your workout. I would also recommend Leslie Sansom videos it's indoor walking you can start at a 15min gentle walk and work your way up to more advanced work outs.
  • scorpiomfs
    scorpiomfs Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have a bad back so excersise is not really an option for me either.What i did notice one day waas when i played my ipod even sitting in my chair i couldnt keep still. so now i put on my ipod and move be it in chair or standing up. I hear the key is to move your body this works for me..
  • scorpiomfs
    scorpiomfs Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    wow post 100.... billy idol dancing with my self is the best you cant help but move...
  • Kcunningham3300
    Options
    Hello everyone and good morning from New Mexico!
    I will be 63 in a couple of days I was JUST diagnosed with Type 2 -high cholesterol-and high blood pressure.
    I am on Metformin( 2 pills a day).
    i have so many questions I don't know where to start. I, like so many here. have osteoarthritis in most every joint.
    My numbers are always over 200 and I can't seem to find the right things to eat to lower it quickly.
    I haven't been active since I retired last year but bought a treadmill and hope that will help.
    I would love any advice or food suggestions to help me get started.

Oh and Dancing in the Dark by Bruce Springstein is what gets me moving altho Billy Idol is awesome as well!