More Weight Gain

Options
I am just getting ready for my morning weight training but I am totally discouraged. I just gained another 1 1/2 pounds. That is a total of 11.5 lbs. in just over 3 weeks. My inches are bigger too. I was prepared at the beginning but not this far in. Almost 2 inches bigger in the waist and 2 in the hips and more in the upper abs! I seem to be getting bigger every minute!

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hey there, is there any way you can open your diary? What are your numbers (BMR, TDEE, Cut value) and your workout routine?

It is rare that I hear someone gaining inches, so I would like to see the overall picture. Fill me in as much as possible.
  • msesheta
    msesheta Posts: 29
    Options
    I think the diary is open now. My waist has gone from 33 to 36, my abs are up 1.5 inches, my hips 1 inch. I know I have trouble with sodium but I am honestly getting fatter. Even my friends asked me about it! 11.5 pounds? Seriously?
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I have gained 9lbs since March but my measurements have actually gone down. My question is, should my weight keep going up? I feel like a big solid 200 pounder! All clothes still fit great and ppl think I'm getting smaller. My measurements didn't change at all in April, but I know why. I have reset my cals at 2155 which is 15% less than my TDEE so we will see what happens..........
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    I think the diary is open now. My waist has gone from 33 to 36, my abs are up 1.5 inches, my hips 1 inch. I know I have trouble with sodium but I am honestly getting fatter. Even my friends asked me about it! 11.5 pounds? Seriously?

What is your BMR? I see your value for eating is 1790 and on some workout days you are over 2000, but your burn is not usually over 500, so just curious as to what your BMR is, we state if your TDEE is calculated correctly you shouldn't have to eat back additional calories unless you are under BMR.

Otherwise you eat pretty clean and do a good job with your protein.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    I have gained 9lbs since March but my measurements have actually gone down. My question is, should my weight keep going up? I feel like a big solid 200 pounder! All clothes still fit great and ppl think I'm getting smaller. My measurements didn't change at all in April, but I know why. I have reset my cals at 2155 which is 15% less than my TDEE so we will see what happens..........

Well, I know you are doing some serious lifting, so you are gaining lean muscle mass for sure. Ok, eat your 2155 consistently and remember you don't need to eat back exercise cals unless your burn puts you under BMR.
  • msesheta
    Options
    My BMR is 1397 and my TDEE is 1912 with 15% equalling 1626 but I was told that might be too low so I was shooting for closer to the TDEE. I did eat too much one day . I don't normally eat back the calories. I lift every other day and walk every day for 40 to 60 minutes.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Ok, those numbers do seem pretty low...the diff between your cut and bmr is 383, so let's try real hard for the next two weeks to not eat back any calories unless over 383 has been burned.

Secondly, take a look at the hypothyroidism video, just to see if you exhibit any of the symptoms, it may be something to look at with your dr.

And of course follow up here, so let me know what is happening.
  • msesheta
    Options
    Thanks, I go to see him next week but most doctors don't like to tell you it is your thyroid :(
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Thanks, I go to see him next week but most doctors don't like to tell you it is your thyroid :(

Def watch my video on that one...so you are armed with some good info to question him on.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Hi :smile:

Sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time. I know it can be frustrating :frown:

Taking a browse through your diary for the past couple of weeks I do see a few things, that I might look into before that doctor visit, (if you wanted to trouble shoot on your own):

1) your sodium- it is through.the.roof, babe. like every day. I know we hear about it all the time, but I would not underestimate it. Especially in the case of how high yours is. It's also putting you at really high risk for blood pressure issues. To further compound that....

2) your water. because most people don't log their water, I typically can't make this type of observation, but since yours is logged, I noticed that it's VERY low, especially considering the amount of sodium you take in. Now, I understand that it's possible that maybe you didn't finish logging the water on some of those days, because I often don't log my water (or forget as the day progresses), but with the amount of sodium that you're taking in, you should be chugging like 2 gallons of water per day, lol

3) your fiber. While it seems that you have no problems hitting your carbs each day (and often being slightly over), you are under on fiber, which typically means that your carb sources need to be monitored a bit more closely, and make sure you are getting some good fibrous carbs in there as well. If you are eating more carbs than you were previously used to, then your body retains water as it gets used to processing higher amounts of carbs, which can take a few weeks to pan out. This is also where that water comes into play. Combining some good fiber to bind things up, with lots of water to push them out, as well as flush out the excess water, goes much further than people give it credit for.

I would be very interested to see how just incorporating those adjustments would affect your inches. :flowerforyou:

~Kiki
  • msesheta
    Options
    Thank you very much! I will certainly work on these issues. I quite often forget to log the rest of my water and it is usually about 6 or 7 glasses a day. It should be more. The sodium I am having a really hard time with and will work extra hard. The pre-packaged frozen entrees are easy portion control for me but high in sodium. I will figure out how to add extra fibre too.
    Thanks again!