Can someone help me with my calories?

Options
Mommy_Time
Mommy_Time Posts: 256 Member
OK my numbers are as follows.

Harris-Benedict Formula BMR is 1616..........Katch-McArdle Formula BMR is 1411..........sedentary is 1726.....light is 1977.....moderately is 2229......very is 2481......and extremely is 2732

I am a mom to 5 and never get time to sit down and will be starting insanity in about 5 days. Is it best me do the lowest which is 1411 since mine is 1200 now and just eat back my calories burned when I start Insanity?

I am so confused with all the different numbers and which one will be best for me.

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Harris-Benedict Formula BMR is 1616..........Katch-McArdle Formula BMR is 1411..........sedentary is 1726.....light is 1977.....moderately is 2229......very is 2481......and extremely is 2732

I am a mom to 5 and never get time to sit down and will be starting insanity in about 5 days. Is it best me do the lowest which is 1411 since mine is 1200 now and just eat back my calories burned when I start Insanity?

I am so confused with all the different numbers and which one will be best for me.

Ok, you based your TDEE numbers of the McArdle formula, I believe. We usually tell people to choose their activity level and calc their cut, based on being a busy mom, I would say go with the Moderate and subtract 15% from that and eat it daily. When you start insanity, you want to make sure on those days you net at least your BMR.

See, it is all about avgs, remember BMR is what you need to survive if you were in acoma. The minute you get out of bed you are burning calories. I know what it is to be a mom of 4 and I don't stop moving...so eating just BMR is still not enough for you. If you are just eating 1200 today, your body will thank you for the addl cals. You will probably be around 1900 daily when you do the calc. Enjoy it and when you start insanity, if you burn over 500 then start eating the excess over the 500. So you burn 600 then you eat 2000 that day.
  • knowak82
    knowak82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

Ok, you based your TDEE numbers of the McArdle formula, I believe. We usually tell people to choose their activity level and calc their cut, based on being a busy mom, I would say go with the Moderate and subtract 15% from that and eat it daily. When you start insanity, you want to make sure on those days you net at least your BMR.

See, it is all about avgs, remember BMR is what you need to survive if you were in acoma. The minute you get out of bed you are burning calories. I know what it is to be a mom of 4 and I don't stop moving...so eating just BMR is still not enough for you. If you are just eating 1200 today, your body will thank you for the addl cals. You will probably be around 1900 daily when you do the calc. Enjoy it and when you start insanity, if you burn over 500 then start eating the excess over the 500. So you burn 600 then you eat 2000 that day.

Listen to Lucia...she knows what she's talking about! Based on your number given for "moderately active", you should eat 2229-335 (your 15% "cut), or 1894 calories every day. You don't have to eat back your excercise calories UNLESS, if after you excercise, your NET calories are below your BMR (1411). Then you need to eat enough to NET your BMR...

You haven't been at it for too long, so I don't think your body is too used to the 1200 calories just yet--you should just up your calories all at once to the 1894 a day and go for it!!!

If you need help figuring out how to change your calorie settings in MFP or anything, let me know, I would be more than happy to help!

Good luck, you can do it :flowerforyou:
  • Mommy_Time
    Options
    Listen to Lucia...she knows what she's talking about! Based on your number given for "moderately active", you should eat 2229-335 (your 15% "cut), or 1894 calories every day. You don't have to eat back your excercise calories UNLESS, if after you excercise, your NET calories are below your BMR (1411). Then you need to eat enough to NET your BMR...

You haven't been at it for too long, so I don't think your body is too used to the 1200 calories just yet--you should just up your calories all at once to the 1894 a day and go for it!!!

If you need help figuring out how to change your calorie settings in MFP or anything, let me know, I would be more than happy to help!

Yes please let me know how to change them as I feel 1200 is not enough for me just doing my normal stuff for the kids. And I don't eat bad foods or even try to if I can fit them in so I feel I am doing really good so far.
  • Mommy_Time
    Options

Thank u so much for helping me :)
  • Mommy_Time
    Options
    Ok, you based your TDEE numbers of the McArdle formula, I believe.

I didn't base it on either. It gave me a paragraph for both formulas with the BMRs than at the bottom says 'how many calories should I eat' it doesn't say it went with either of the formulas.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Ok, your numbers are pretty close to mine. Like I mentioned above, you want to eat 1900 daily and if you burn in a day over the 500 then you need to eat the excess over the 500. Hope this helps!
  • Mommy_Time
    Options
    Ok, your numbers are pretty close to mine. Like I mentioned above, you want to eat 1900 daily and if you burn in a day over the 500 then you need to eat the excess over the 500. Hope this helps!

ok thanks i wanted to make sure i did it all right since it didn't say it used which formula:)
  • knowak82
    knowak82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

Yes please let me know how to change them as I feel 1200 is not enough for me just doing my normal stuff for the kids. And I don't eat bad foods or even try to if I can fit them in so I feel I am doing really good so far.

Under the "My Home" tab click on "Goals"
    Then click "Change Goals" at the bottom
    Do "Custom"
    This is where you can pretty much change anything you want...I changed my total calories to my cut value (for you it would be 1894), then I changed my carb ratio to 40%, my fat ratio to 30%, and my protein ratio to 30%.

And don't be afraid to eat sources of fat! Your body needs it to function properly...just pick foods that have "good" fat--avocado, nuts, stuff like that--those types of foods are also generally more calorie dense, so they will also help you reach your daily calorie goals...

You can do it--dive off the deep end and go for it :drinker:

You have to give it a little time, but it will be worth it in the long run!!!