My hands get tired

rmhand
rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
I have to ask my fellow ladies that love to lift... Do your hands/arms get tired?
When I do things like lunges while holding dumbbells my hand and arms get tired. I want to add more weight to work my leg muscles better but I'm not sure if my arms can handle it. I usually hold 2 15lb dumbbells so I'm adding 30lbs to my lunges and I want to increase it.
Also when I hold the barbell on the back of my shoulders for squats and back exercises (good mornings) my arms and shoulders feel tired from holding it.
Not to mention I have a heck of a time taking the barbell from in front of me to up and over my head, again an arm strength issue.
I need some tips and tricks on how to handle the weights.

Just to clarify I use the short barbells that already have weights on them because the barbell at the squat rack is still a little too heavy. Also I do not lift with a partner, I just haven't found the right person with similar goals.

Thanks!

Replies

• deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Your hands and arms get tired because your grip is not strong for heavier weights. Keep up with the dumbbells and your grip strength will increase. Also, do farmer's walks-hold a DBs or KBs or plates with both or just one and walk around the gym-go as heavy on the weight as you can and go as long as you can. If you have a squat rack/power rack in the gym you can use it to get the bar on your back instead of lifting it overhead. You can use the bar for lunges. As you get stronger you will not feel the weight of the bar on your shoulders so much. You can see if there is a pad for the bar or put a towel on your back under the bar. I hope this helps!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Your hands and arms get tired because your grip is not strong for heavier weights. Keep up with the dumbbells and your grip strength will increase. Also, do farmer's walks-hold a DBs or KBs or plates with both or just one and walk around the gym-go as heavy on the weight as you can and go as long as you can. If you have a squat rack/power rack in the gym you can use it to get the bar on your back instead of lifting it overhead. You can use the bar for lunges. As you get stronger you will not feel the weight of the bar on your shoulders so much. You can see if there is a pad for the bar or put a towel on your back under the bar. I hope this helps!

This. At first my weakest link was my grip but it got better with time :)
  • rmhand
    Thanks! I guess I will just keep at it!
  • jamface11
    jamface11 Posts: 87
    I'm having the trouble of getting weights onto my back for squats, looks like i'll have to migrate to the mens section...

At what weights should you start looking for a spotter?
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    I personally always have a spotter because I train in a group. However if I were by myself I would grab someone once I started getting beyond about 80% of my 1repmax.

As for lifting the bar up. If you are truly 'lifting heavy' for a backsquat then you simply won't be able to lift it over. Even using the most efficient/powerful method of getting it up and over (clean&jerk)... you should be squatting much more than that :)

Definately time to get near a squat rack :)

ETA - to the OP, its all just time and effort I am afraid, you will get used to it... the advice about farmers walks with kbs is good too.
    Also if you're having trouble gripping the bar for a dealift, try alternating hands, i.e one knucles forward and one underhand... this helps me grip once I get really heavy.. not helpful for other lifts though :)
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    I agree with Natalia about the spotter. Also if you go to the gym by yourself and don't have a buddy, you can use the power rack for squats and raise the safety rods to where they almost touch the bar when you do squat and you are all the way down. I workout alone and that's what I do. But if I go to the gym with hubby , then I'll ask him to spot me and try a heavier weight on the squat.
  • rmhand
    Thanks ladies. I will check out the squat rack if there is one that is not in use.