I need help calculating how many calories I should consume

Options
NaurielR
NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
Hello everybody. I joined Mfp about a month ago, realizing that I needed to up my calorie intake (there were days where I would only consume 800-900 calories. Not good).

Since I've joined I've been eating at least 1200 (sometimes a bit less, and often times more on days when I run)

However, I don't think its enough, and I'd like the help of you more experienced people in figuring out how much is healthy for me to eat.

So here's a little about myself

Height: 4'11"
Weight: 119
Sex: Female
Exercise: 6 mile run 3X per week. 3 zumba classes per week. Walking to and from campus 5x per week (one round trip is probably 1.5 miles)

I calculated my BMR to be just about 1200 calories (using the program here on MFP). Other than the exercise I described, I am not very active.

I've been so conscious of restricting calories for such a long time that I need help getting myself back up to a healthy level. I want more energy, to feel powerful and strong. I want to be fit. I've just been in this low calorie rut for so long that I'm scared of upping my calorie levels. I need a bit of support and encouragement.

So, what do you EMTWL whizzes think is the best course to take?

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    OK..."Other than what I described, I'm not very active..." My dear, you are seriously active, so you can afford to eat more, just so you can put on some muscle...
    I have to ask, do you want to maintain or lose more - as you are already in the healthy weight range for your height?
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 1959 - That is, if you want to weigh 100lbs.... Your BMR is around 1347, so you need to eat more if you have any hopes of retaining some muscle...
    Please eat more - go to fat2fitradio.com if you want to see your numbers for yourself...
    Good luck!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    According to the scooby calculator you def need more food. You are doing 5-6hrs of strenous activity, your TDEE is 2312. If you are still looking to lose weight, then you should subtract the 15% from that.

Is there any way to cut back a little on all the cardio and add some strength training? I find that people usually want a more toned look, but the only way to get that is to lift weights.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!
    OK..."Other than what I described, I'm not very active..." My dear, you are seriously active, so you can afford to eat more, just so you can put on some muscle...

Haha, sorry, I wasn't trying to make it seem like I'm sedentary. If anyone tried to claim that I wasn't getting enough exercise, I'd be very tempted to punch them in the face and make them follow me for my entire run. Six miles is hard work! I only included that last bit because that's basically all the exercise i get. Its a good amount I know, but I don't have any other job or activity that really gets me active.
    Is there any way to cut back a little on all the cardio and add some strength training? I find that people usually want a more toned look, but the only way to get that is to lift weights.
    Well, here's the thing. I want the benefits of strength training. I want muscly biceps that can win arm wrestling contests and a stomach so tight I can wash my clothes on them if my washing machine ever breaks. I just don't have much motivation for it. Simply going to the gym and lifting/strength training is boring for me. With running, you're always going somewhere and seeing new things. With zumba, you're interacting with people around you and that group motivation keeps me excited. But I find it hard to do strength training
    Its going to be especially hard because I am graduating from college next week, meaning my membership to the university gym will expire. I don't know really how to strength train, especially without the help of machines and stuff. Do you have any advice? I was actually contemplating opening a new topic just so I could figure out the best way to incorporate more strength training.
    I have to ask, do you want to maintain or lose more - as you are already in the healthy weight range for your height?
    I want to lose a little bit more, probably only five or so pounds. However, I mostly want to lower my BMI and increase muscle. Its not so much a matter of weight as it is a matter of getting stronger. That's my main goal, which is why I came here. I've come to realize I'm not going to get any results by depriving myself this severely.
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 1959
    So you're saying I should be eating at around this level?

Sorry for the longish post, just trying to understand everything