Really nervous at doing this

Options
Elizabeth_M
Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
but I have been at a plateau for over 2 months now!

I did the fat to fit ratio and all that - put in lightly active as I am an SK teacher, and am on my feel for a large part of the day, plus I do JM's 30 DS right now, walks with the dogs and family, etc. Nothing crazy strenuous, though. Yet. Does that sound right??:ohwell:

My BMR came to 1973 calories. That seems like a crazy amount? I don't know, I guess it's hard to wrap your head around.

So if I set it at lightly active, I don't eat exercise calories, right?

Anything else I should know? lol

Thanks all :)

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    What is your BMR and TDEE? You are on your feet all day and you do the 30DS and walk your dogs daily...you sound more moderate to me.
  • Elizabeth_M
    Options
    Hi! Thanks for your reply. :)

My BMR came out to this:

Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1722
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1973
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2224
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2475
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2727

I used a TDEE calculator and found that my TDEE is 2054 (with light activity)

If I put moderate, then it is 2315.

I don't walk my dog every day (hubby does it, too :) ) but I am trying to do the 30DS or other DVD workout 5 times a week for sure.

Thank you for any help that you can give. :)
  • junebug523
    junebug523 Posts: 196
    Options
    I would still guess you are more moderate. If in doubt, it might not hurt to aim for the average between lightly active and moderately active. That's what I'm doing right now. I have a desk job, but I'm not sedentary...I walk my dog most days...I work out at the gym 4 times/week (3x heavy weights)...so I just calculated the average between light & moderate (which would be approx. 2098 for you). I feel that this gives me some wiggle room on certain days to go a little over, and not fret if I end up a little under.

That said...I'm only 2 weeks into this new workout routine, and I wouldn't be surprised if I change my calorie goal as time passes and I learn more about how my body is processing lifting heavy.

In the meantime, I feel terrific. :happy:

Good luck to you!
  • lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Your BMR should be the same no matter what your activity level is. Then you multiply your BMR by your "activity factor" to get your TDEE. So, something is goofy. :)
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    What is your hgt, wgt, age, and on avg weekly what exercise do you do and for how long?
  • Elizabeth_M
    Options
    Ugh, getting more confused. lol I plugged everything in...

Height - 5'6"
    Weight - 164
    Age - 38
    I am aiming for 5x a week of 30DS - 27 minutes and then I walk the dog sporadically, no set # of times.

I guess I could just know my base BMR to survive, and then add exercise calories (since it may change from day to day) and then eat them back?

Ok, just did that scooby site calculator and it came out with this (I still did light exercise lol)

BMR 1493
    TDEE 2053
    Daily calories 1745

So is 1745 what I should be eating? I set it at 15% calorie reduction.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Yes, eat 1745 every single day. You shouldn't burn enough to ever eat more if you are doing shred.

Keep us posted!
  • Elizabeth_M
    Options
    Thank you!!!! :)
  • Elizabeth_M
    Options
    Is there anyway that I can have a daily goal without exercise, then log the exercise and eat those calories?

From my understanding, if I eat the 1745 now, the exercise is factored into it. I kind of like logging calories burned and seeing it get tracked that way. I know that I can put 1 calorie burned, but that's not as satisfying.

Also, is there a certain net amount that I should eat then? Is it the BMR of 1493?

Thank you to anyone who can help! :)
  • witrixie2011
    witrixie2011 Posts: 224
    Options
    Here's what I did to keep it simple.

Ignore all of MPF fitness settings and use the custom settings to set how many calories you want to eat. (click on Goals - Change Goals - Custom - Continue - change calories & macros here - click on Change Goals at the bottom to save)

This is what my home screen looks like w/out exercise:
    Goal 2074
    Food 2066
    Exercise 0
    = Net 2066

After I exercise this afternoon this is what it will look like:

Goal 2074
    Food 2066
    Exercise 300
    = Net 1766

As long as my NET calories stays above my BMR I don't have to worry about anything.

Make sense?
  • Elizabeth_M
    Options
    Thank you - that's nice and simple. :) I appreciate your help!
  • Elizabeth_M
    Options
    Right now, just telling myself to stick with it.

My ticker on my profile might say 12 pounds lost, but before it said 15, and NOW it says 10. 10 pounds in almost 5 months. Sigh.

Getting really discouraged. :( Stick with it, stick with it, stick with it.