What can I eat before an early morning workout?

Options
I'm going to be starting a new workout plan/90 day fitness challenge soon. It's M-F at 6 am. I normally take my 112 mcg of Levothyroxine around 6:30am and don't eat breakfast until around 8:00 am when I get to work.

I'm worried about being able to work out on an empty stomach. I will be getting up around 5:15 am and taking my thryroid meds immediately, but as you know can't eat right away... I'll need to leave my house around 5:30 to get there/be ready to go at 6am.

Any suggestions for something I could eat quickly in the car, etc, on the way to work out that won't interact with how the levothyroxine absorbs in my system and that would be good to help "fuel" my workout? Would it be better to just see how it goes on an empty stomach?

Thanks!
Jess

Replies

• tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I would not workout on an empty stomach -- but that's me. I would recommend changing the time you take your medication.
    Can you take your meds before you go to bed? Or save it until after the workout? You will want some sort of carbs before your workout -- maybe a smoothie with fruit, yogurt, banana, etc.

Terri
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest...I am weird. I have been working out on an mostly empty stomach. I take my medicine. Then run to the gym right away. I add some coconut water to my water and drink that. And eat immediately after. Most days I have more than enough energy for my workout, as long as I ate enough carbs he day before. If I wake up and I am about to eat my arm? Then I eat 1/3 to 1/2 of a lara bar on the way or when I get to the gym.
  • metzica
    metzica Posts: 24
    Options
    Thanks for the input ladies!
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I get up at 430 am to do Zumba for 45 minutes. i try and remember to take my meds when i get up (synthroid), but sometimes i forget and pop them after the workout, before i hop in the shower. by the time i get out of the shower, fiddle around with hairbrushing, lotioning, and change, i'm ready for my morning snack. I've personally not had a ton of problems working it this way.