well, THAT was a waste of time!

Options
This is more of a release: my work out partner and I decided to try out a trainer at Lifetime. So, he's super nice and all, but it was 2 hours of TALKING!!!!! Seriously???? I did not pack up my 4 kids and put them in the childcare area so I could TALK for 2 hours and I wouldn't get in a lick of a workout!!!!!! :explode:

I get that somehow knowing the DETAILS of my day to day activity/family background/nutrition is VITAL to you teaching me how to lift some free weights...:grumble: I'm so ticked...we explained we are SAHM who homeschool and we basically live by the clock...every minute it accounted for so we want to make EVERY second count! To take me through all the "testing" you can do at Lifetime to show me "how I tick internally" before we work on the outside, was NOT on my agenda for my time at the gym today. JUST.SHOW.ME.HOW.TO.LIFT.WEIGHTS. Period.

I did NOT need you to take me through the self explanatory machines...I can read a picture.

2 hours. sitting on my butt. in my work out clothes. WASTE. :mad:

And now I ate leftover birthday cake....:noway:

Oy.

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I have tried personal trainers a few time, but to be honest the only thing my trainers have been good for is motivation. Everything else was always conflicting information.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I love you Mom!:flowerforyou:

That was so well-written, I felt like I was right next to you!

As you know, here on EM2WL we are a family. And if someone pisses off one member of the family, we are ALL pissed!!

Now, tell us exactly where this Trainer works and we will ALL meet and "take care of him" for you.

There, now don't you feel MUCH better!
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    ^^^^^ This^^^^^ :heart:
  • mom24littleones
    Options
    I love you Mom!:flowerforyou:

That was so well-written, I felt like I was right next to you!

As you know, here on EM2WL we are a family. And if someone pisses off one member of the family, we are ALL pissed!!

Now, tell us exactly where this Trainer works and we will ALL meet and "take care of him" for you.

There, now don't you feel MUCH better!

:heart: A response after my own heart :flowerforyou:

I feel much better...and I'd do the same for you...don't mess with my people :smooched:
    (and so people know, I'm Megan...but you CAN call me Mom if you like :wink: )
  • ashley67203
    ashley67203 Posts: 95
    Options
    This is why I love workout videos. They don't charge by the hour and they don't give a flip about my feelings. :)
  • mom24littleones
    Options
    This is why I love workout videos. They don't charge by the hour and they don't give a flip about my feelings. :)

I can SO see that now...as I was sitting there I was thinking "a video can teach me what I want without all this talk and for the cost of $19.99"...I hate knowing I wasted 2 of my only hours to work out :(
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i'm sorry you had such a disappointing experience!! was it your "complimentary meeting with a personal trainer?"

i met with a personal trainer at LTF last month and i loved sitting and talking to her for an hour. i have 5 small kids, i'm a single parent, and i'm a homeschooler too. so, i completely understand your every minute is accounted for!!

my kids LOVE the childcare, so it's a huge treat for them to go :-) we live 40 min away so it's a hike, but i was grateful that she (the personal trainer) took the time to find out about ME. i have issues with food, and i have goals that are very specific. i wanted to know if SHE could help me in both of those arenas. i also wanted to know what HER experiences were and background was. i feel that anyone can teach you how to lift a certain way, but i want someone that understands my issues. turns out she does! and she totally kicked my butt during our first hour session!!!!

maybe meet with someone else and be very clear that you just want to learn how to lift weights and which exercises to do.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    The reason he didn't show you anything is because he wanted you to have to come back. Personal training is a business.

As you said though.. a 19.99 DVD may be the way to go.
  • mom24littleones
    Options
    i'm sorry you had such a disappointing experience!! was it your "complimentary meeting with a personal trainer?"

i met with a personal trainer at LTF last month and i loved sitting and talking to her for an hour. i have 5 small kids, i'm a single parent, and i'm a homeschooler too. so, i completely understand your every minute is accounted for!!

my kids LOVE the childcare, so it's a huge treat for them to go :-) we live 40 min away so it's a hike, but i was grateful that she (the personal trainer) took the time to find out about ME. i have issues with food, and i have goals that are very specific. i wanted to know if SHE could help me in both of those arenas. i also wanted to know what HER experiences were and background was. i feel that anyone can teach you how to lift a certain way, but i want someone that understands my issues. turns out she does! and she totally kicked my butt during our first hour session!!!!

maybe meet with someone else and be very clear that you just want to learn how to lift weights and which exercises to do.
    WOW! 5 kids, homeschooling as well, and a single Mom, plus you drive 40 minutes one way to work out??? Truly, God bless you...that is amazing, challenging and inspiring!

Yes, it was our introductory session. As my friend and I talked, we realized it was all expectation...I expected to get some workout in AND I did NOT expect to spend the entire 2 hour childcare time limit ONLY talking... as I thought about it today, I had the thoughts you mentioned: I would have liked to have known a little bit more about him and if he thought he could do for us what we want...your session sounds a lot more like what I would have liked. He didn't really talk about the nitty gritty of what we wanted...instead of spending 20 minutes talking about nutrition (which we both know pretty well) AND all the testing Lifetime offers (at a hefty fee), I would have much more preferred talking about weight lifting and his view on it, etc...

I am sure he can be helpful, I just wasn't thrilled with that appt. since it wasn't what I was expecting :ohwell:

We will probably do at least 1 session with him...but if he doesn't take us through the free weights, as we have asked multiple times now, then I won't re new...I'll just pay for Kiki to fly here and teach me :wink:
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    we love LTF! it's the best money i spend each month!! we were there last night and i sat in the hot tub for 20 min then ran for a bit. the kids get to play, run, use the computers, climb, etc. it's a great way to spend 2 hrs and totally worth the drive. we do family swim at least once a week. and after the outdoor pool opens up, we are there every day! i use the spa for my hair, nails, and massages!!!

if you aren't crazy about that guy, interview another one!! i did one of their TEAM things last summer and i wasn't impressed with the trainer that ran that. but, i had met another trainer who did another TEAM class. she does things differently and has the most amazing butt i have ever seen on a women!!! so, based off of her body i knew i wanted to talk to her. i got her name, left my name and number and ask that she called me.

i think some women can understand women's stuff better than guys can. i told her i wanted to lift weights. well, we didn't do free weights the whole time, but OH MY GOSH!!! i'm not kidding she really did kick my butt. i had finished 90 days of p90x so, i was used to using weights. i was not at all prepared for her though! by the end of the hour, i was dripping in sweat, red faced, nauseous...... i could barely walk down the stairs and the first thing i did was grab a protein shake because i was shaking so badly and thought i was gonna pass out!!! LOL i hurt for FIVE days after that!!!! it was HARD to take care of my kids and house that week!!!!

i think, like with lots of other things in this world, there are good trainers and not so good trainers. if you want to work with one, keep looking til you find the one you like :-)

i did NOT do the introductory meeting with the PT. i knew how to work the machines, wasn't interested in the testing, and didn't really need any assistance in my work outs. so, i never signed up for that. maybe since you got that out of the way things can/ will be different :-)
  • mom24littleones
    Options
    we love LTF! it's the best money i spend each month!! we were there last night and i sat in the hot tub for 20 min then ran for a bit. the kids get to play, run, use the computers, climb, etc. it's a great way to spend 2 hrs and totally worth the drive. we do family swim at least once a week. and after the outdoor pool opens up, we are there every day! i use the spa for my hair, nails, and massages!!!

if you aren't crazy about that guy, interview another one!! i did one of their TEAM things last summer and i wasn't impressed with the trainer that ran that. but, i had met another trainer who did another TEAM class. she does things differently and has the most amazing butt i have ever seen on a women!!! so, based off of her body i knew i wanted to talk to her. i got her name, left my name and number and ask that she called me.

i think some women can understand women's stuff better than guys can. i told her i wanted to lift weights. well, we didn't do free weights the whole time, but OH MY GOSH!!! i'm not kidding she really did kick my butt. i had finished 90 days of p90x so, i was used to using weights. i was not at all prepared for her though! by the end of the hour, i was dripping in sweat, red faced, nauseous...... i could barely walk down the stairs and the first thing i did was grab a protein shake because i was shaking so badly and thought i was gonna pass out!!! LOL i hurt for FIVE days after that!!!! it was HARD to take care of my kids and house that week!!!!

i think, like with lots of other things in this world, there are good trainers and not so good trainers. if you want to work with one, keep looking til you find the one you like :-)

i did NOT do the introductory meeting with the PT. i knew how to work the machines, wasn't interested in the testing, and didn't really need any assistance in my work outs. so, i never signed up for that. maybe since you got that out of the way things can/ will be different :-)
    I agree! We love LTF as well...I think my oldest (10) gets a little bit bored in the childcare, especially if they don't have the back gym area open, BUT, I try to always go when there is a swim time after...like you, when the outdoor pool opens, we are there ALL.THE.TIME. :happy:

I think I am going to sign on for 1 week with this guy...I am sure he knows what he's doing. If I'm not thrilled with the session than I will just take the barbell class (which I LOVE) and use what I learn in there out in the weight room...

So, are you still using that trainer? have you seen a difference?