Estimating exercise burn

Options
fmbomzo
fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
What is the most accurate way to estimate calories burned from exercise without an HRM? I use a combination of MFP and Livestrong to estimate calories burned based on the type of workout, duration and my weight. If I do machine exercises, I use the number from the machine but I allow it to track my heart rate and I enter my weight when I start.

I'm just concerned that my exercise calories may be way off and therefore I may either be netting farther below or above my cut amount than I think.

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    When I didn't use an HRM, I did as you just mentioned. That is about all you can do without a good HRM. And all HRM's are not created equal...found that out the hard way. So, if you ever consider getting one, I hear the Polar FT7 is a good one.
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Thanks much!! I've heard so much about the HRM not being able to accurately measure interval routines. That is a large chunk of the exercise I do. I'll check out the Polar one though. I'm curious to see how much I do during a day anyway vs. my calculated TDEE as well.
  • trishadams
    trishadams Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Polar FT40 is also a good model.