Calories Burned Yoga

Options
2»

Replies

• earpies37
    Options
    Not to spoil the fun here, but HRM do not give an accurate calorie burn reading in hot yoga. The closest you will get will be to do the sequence in a non-heated room and see what the calorie burn is.

ill admit im curious why it wouldnt give an accurate reading. my hrm strap/watch combo was spot on about my heart rate(checked pulse manually a few times during class and it was tracking accurately).

at the end of class it reported 1066 calories burned but when i plugged the heart rate data into a bunch of different online calculators they all gave a more reasonable number of 800ish(I'm a 6'1" 180lb man for reference).
  • cinbthin
    cinbthin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Totally more than 200 calories. I do Sumits Hot Yoga, which is 90 min. in 105 degree room and I burn anywhere from 500- over 800 calories per session. I used to wear my heart rate monitor every time, but my battery needs changed in my strap now so have been without it for the last couple of months. Anyhow, it's an intense workout, and your heartrate definitely gets up there! Also, I don't agree one bit with the previous poster stating a heartrate monitor is inaccurate in a hot room, that makes no sense. That would be similar to saying if you run outside in Phoenix AZ when it's 100 degrees or over it isn't accurate. Your heartrate is based on how hard you're working and your heart is beating, and the heat may make it more difficult, but it doesn't make it inaccurate.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Not to spoil the fun here, but HRM do not give an accurate calorie burn reading in hot yoga. The closest you will get will be to do the sequence in a non-heated room and see what the calorie burn is.

ill admit im curious why it wouldnt give an accurate reading. my hrm strap/watch combo was spot on about my heart rate(checked pulse manually a few times during class and it was tracking accurately).

at the end of class it reported 1066 calories burned but when i plugged the heart rate data into a bunch of different online calculators they all gave a more reasonable number of 800ish(I'm a 6'1" 180lb man for reference).

The heat increases your heart rate because it is working to cool your body down. The extra amount of energy burned to increase your heart rate burns just a few more calories. You're not working your muscles any harder. If heat burned significantly more calories we could just sit in a sauna.

http://www.thatsfit.com/2010/06/15/fit-or-fiction-does-exercising-in-hot-weather-burn-more-calorie/
  • earpies37
    Options
    makes sense, i assumed that heart rate was heart rate so whether it got raised from exercise or a combo of exercise and heat that it burned the same number of calories. i dont suppose you know of a link to a study that shows the difference or whatnot as opposed to a random article do ya? would be an interesting read!

ive been meaning to take my HRM into an unheated vinyasa class to compare the results to the heated ones i usually do but havent gotten around to it yet. of course as a relatively recent smoker my lungs/heart are probably out of shape enough that unheated will likely push my body hard enough for a comparable caloric burn anyhoo :)
  • AmyBoogie
    AmyBoogie Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I noticed early on that the calories burned for yoga was off. I added my own exercise for Ashtanga based on a general calculation for activity and my weight/height/age. It's probably still a little off but I think I'll probably be ok as I'm not super concerned with accuracy. If I needed to be more accurate I would get an HRM and wear it during practice.

Unless you practice exactly the same every time, your calories burned would be different anyway so a general average would be best or wearing the HRM each time. I practice Ashtanga and even though it's a set series of poses done in the same sequence, I still manage a different practice. I get caught up in a thought and I skip a pose or 2. I decide consciously to skip a pose. I decide to add in a little extra inversion or balancing practice....It all changes the burn in my practice.
  • yoginimary
    Options
    makes sense, i assumed that heart rate was heart rate so whether it got raised from exercise or a combo of exercise and heat that it burned the same number of calories. i dont suppose you know of a link to a study that shows the difference or whatnot as opposed to a random article do ya? would be an interesting read!

ive been meaning to take my HRM into an unheated vinyasa class to compare the results to the heated ones i usually do but havent gotten around to it yet. of course as a relatively recent smoker my lungs/heart are probably out of shape enough that unheated will likely push my body hard enough for a comparable caloric burn anyhoo :)

That article was from the Huffington Post. I cannot find scientific study on-line, but here's what I found:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/371990-will-you-burn-more-calories-exercising-in-extreme-heat/

Oddly, there were just as many articles about exercising in the cold.

Here's an article about how your body burns calories:
    http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article folder/caloricexp.html

If you find a scientific study that shows one way or the other, I would be very interested to read it.
  • earpies37
    Options

That article was from the Huffington Post. I cannot find scientific study on-line, but here's what I found:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/371990-will-you-burn-more-calories-exercising-in-extreme-heat/

Oddly, there were just as many articles about exercising in the cold.

Here's an article about how your body burns calories:
    http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article folder/caloricexp.html

If you find a scientific study that shows one way or the other, I would be very interested to read it.

interesting, in that huffpost article it talked a lot about vasodilation but didnt mention that it correlated to an increased heartrate, and in the one instant it mentioned any kind of correlation it was a negative one:

"for example, claim that saunas will burn calories by increasing your circulation; your body actually increases circulation by relaxing the muscles surrounding the blood vessels rather than by increasing your heart rate."

which indicates to me that while the heat would expand the blood vessels for radiating heat it wouldnt actually increase heart rate?
  • yoginimary
    Options

interesting, in that huffpost article it talked a lot about vasodilation but didnt mention that it correlated to an increased heartrate, and in the one instant it mentioned any kind of correlation it was a negative one:

"for example, claim that saunas will burn calories by increasing your circulation; your body actually increases circulation by relaxing the muscles surrounding the blood vessels rather than by increasing your heart rate."

which indicates to me that while the heat would expand the blood vessels for radiating heat it wouldnt actually increase heart rate?

good eye, I didn't catch that. I would agree with you - and the fact that heat increases HR. That was the livestrong article (not the huffington post, which was the first link I put up).
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    to get an accurate reading of calories burned you must determine the following:

A: find your max heart rate to determine how "fit" you are - the more fit you are the fewer calories you will burn
    or
    if you do not know your maximum heart rate you can guesstimate it by subracting your age from 220.
    my client has a maximum heart rate of 172

note that of the two options, the first is more accurate. The stress test max heart rate versus the estimated max heart rate can be a huge difference depending on how cardiovascularly fit you are. If you are not very fit and get winded after 2 minutes of intense exercise the guesstimation formula will be more accurate

B: Detrmine your resting heart rate - monitoring it in the am before eating or drinking, while in a sitting postion
    my client has a resting heart rate of 79

Next, use this formula to determine your heart rate reserve, that magic number you have to hit before you are actually burning any calories:
    HHR = A - B

So if you know your HHR, heart rate reserve, you can then honestly track calories burned as long as you are above that number.
    take your maximum heart rate, subtract your resting heart rate to get your HHR

172 - 79 = 93

This means that my client will not burn any exercise calories until she is above a heart rate of 93 bpm.

Once achieved, monitoring the heart rate range of 93 bpm low to 172 bpm high will help her figure out the intensity of the exercise and guesstimate the calories burned.

she can then determine her target heart rate from there.

Not everyone has the same calorie burn. Heart rate intensity per individual differs greatly. Only you can rely on a correct calorie burn by figuring out your Max and your Resting heart rates and using formulas that CPTs use for their clients.
  • earpies37
    Options
    oh yeah, i determined all that and whatnot.

my avg HR during the heated vinyasa yoga classes was 140 which is right in my ideal range of 120-160, i was in that range for 46 of the 60 minute class with a max HR peak of 182-186. i still want to check the numbers for the unheated variant(will post here once i have just for peoples' reference).

and i forget if i mentioned this before but my caloric burn numbers are for a 6'1" man, 180 lbs(now down to 172 in 10 days), 34 years old, recent smoker so my cardio isnt terribly fit.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options

my avg HR during the heated vinyasa yoga classes was 140 which is right in my ideal range of 120-160, i was in that range for 46 of the 60 minute class with a max HR peak of 182-186. i still want to check the numbers for the unheated variant(will post here once i have just for peoples' reference).

awesome! :drinker:

using the average heart rate acheived in those 46 minutes he can then go to an online calorie calculater, enter his information and get a really good estimate of the exercise calories he burned as long as he subtracted out the few he would not have burned if he did not exercise.

so, say you were at an average HR of 140bpm for 46 minutes, at your height and weight you will have burned......

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx
  • earpies37
    Options

awesome! :drinker:

using the average heart rate acheived in those 46 minutes he can then go to an online calorie calculater, enter his information and get a really good estimate of the exercise calories he burned as long as he subtracted out the few he would not have burned if he did not exercise.

so, say you were at an average HR of 140bpm for 46 minutes, at your height and weight you will have burned......

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

yup, my HRM said around 1060 calories burned each time, but that seemed a bit high to me so i plugged the info into a variety of online calculators and for my stats it came out to be around 800 calories per 60minutes on every calc! factoring in what i wouldve burned without the exercise it was about a 720 net.

pretty good imho, no-impact workout thats pretty comparable to the cardio standards of running/biking while using bodyweight exercises for muscle stimulation :)