carb cravings and replacements for carbs ect

Options
mfisher16508
mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
Every few days of so it seems I crave carbs, crunchy carbs, a few days back I had a few cheetos at work, they sit well with me, but they are not healthy....so my question is this:

1. do any of you order from that bariatric advantage catalog, if so what and did you like what you got, was it worth the price.
2. are there any low carb subs out there for chips or pretzels or something I can dip into hummus?

I tried pita chips, but again, high in carbs and they didnt sit well with me, too heavy, I dont miss bread, and I cant wait till I can eat lettuce and have lettuce wraps with tuna or fish or whatever....

Mary

Replies

• Scribetoo
    Scribetoo Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hi Mary!

If you're still on food restrictions (for lettuce, etc, as you mentioned), I think you want to examine if the craving is a head craving.

I crave loud, carby, crunchy foods when I'm feeling aggression -- anger, frustration, stress, etc..

Early on, when I was having cravings for things that weren't so good for me, I started to look at what I was feeling when I had the craving.. to see if I could find a pattern (and naturally, I did.. hello? Emotional Eaters Anonymous? lol).. so when I started having that craving, I had to replace the mechanism I was using to deal with the emotion (the carby, crunchy food) with a better mechanism. I'd get up from my desk and walk around the perimeter of our floor.. get a big, cold glass of water, pop a stick of gum in my mouth.. blog in my journal.. whatever.. just picked a replacement mechanism and every time I had THAT craving, I would go do THAT thing.. to get my body used to having that as a response to the trigger. Often, I also had to remove the offending food from my view or have one of my co-workers put it where I didn't know where to find it.

My work waited til I got back to my desk. No planets collided. All was right with the world. Eventually I found better solutions.

You're never going to replace carbs or the need for them. Let's face it you still NEED them for proper, well-rounded nutrition.. so maybe when you have the crunchy craving and it's NOT head hunger, baked Kale might be a solution for you.. but only after you can have leafies again.. and if you MUST have a carb... find a whole grain carb.. (I don't think sun chips count as "whole grain" but rice cakes might..)

You're still on your "honeymoon" -- use your time wisely! :flowerforyou:

Stef
  • tessanne10
    tessanne10 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Try snackergy potato zippers there are also bariatric chips that are ranch, barbecue flavor that are good. My favorite is special k cracker crisps in sea salt. I have made a couple of those and it curbs the cravings for the really bad stuff out there. I stay a way from regular chips, popcorn, etc.
    Healthwise has some really good protein bars out there too. My favorite protein bars are OH Yeah! They are 190 calories, but have 17 grams of protein and curb my craving for sugary stuff. There are only 4 carbs in them too!
    I try to concentrate on the protein before I eat anything, I'm finding that if there really isn't any protein in it I don't want it.
  • mfisher16508
    mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Stef and tess, thank you....I do believe Stef you are correct....its more in my head then anything, so I plan on blogging on here or walking around the block. I tend to get the munchies at work (3rd shift) and that makes things ruff, I tend to go to the chicken broth and add a 2 pack of saltines to it, that feeds the craving....something about being at work makes me want to eat, I guess because that was always how I did things, we would have treat nights and now I cant do that, so in turn me and my coworkers dont do it.

tonight I am making spaghettie squast with fat free cottage, some sauce and shredded mozzarella on top, cant wait to try the squash itself...I hope I like it, cause it has sooo many possibilities.

how is the taste of red snapper fish, anyone know???
  • Scribetoo
    Scribetoo Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    You'll LOVE spaghetti squash!! I adore it!

As for red snapper.. it's really light flavored.. I like it and I'm not much of a fish eater. It's meaty and not fishy tasting.. so it holds up well to the seasonings you put on it.. I like it seared in olive oil with shallots, dill and garlic.
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I find the more carbs I have, the more I crave. Now that I've reduced the carbs, I don't have nearly as many cravings. When I do crave, I let myself have a little bit. The substitute snacks never really do it for me. I also drink lots of water when my stomach gets that achy, hollow feeling. It's not great, but it seems to work for me.