Levels normal, but I still feel terrible

Options
Monkeyrhea
Monkeyrhea Posts: 39 Member
I was diagnosed hypo about 1 1/2 years ago. I am currently on 88mcg of levo and while I have managed to lose 12 pounds and keep the fatigue at bay I am still struggling with other symptoms. I went to my PCP last week and had my TSH and Free T-3 levels checked and they are apparently normal. I don't understand this!! I weigh 220 pounds yet I was wearing a scarf and winter coat to go for a walk when it was 70 outside. My hair is falling out like crazy. Last night I was wearing pants and t-shirt while wrapped up with a fleece blanket (my kiddos were just in undies) and I was covered in goose bumps and shivering so I took my temp...it was only 96.7!! Then there is the joint pain. I was up until 1am this morning because of the throbbing in my knees. Most nights it is in my knees and elbows. My doc agreed to refer me to an endo, but said that he doesn't think they will do anything differently. I feel like a crazy person and I just want to cry!!!

Has anyone been in a similar situation where your labs said one thing, but your body said another? How did you deal with it??

Replies

• SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I think you need to go to this website and read, read, read. You are not alone. Many practitioners do not understand how to properly treat hypo and many many people are left undiagnosed or undertreated as a result. I highly recommend reading the book too!

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/
  • bethanylaugh
    bethanylaugh Posts: 237
    Options
    agreed, agreed, AGREED!!!

Read that website front to back, read a few other things, and go into your doctor's office educated and ready.

I just switched to armour thyroid a few weeks ago after 8+ years of synthroid (or levothyroxine) and already feel better. I hope to educate my doctor enough on NP thyroid so I can eventually switch to that. But get off synthroid... and if your doctor says no, find a new one!
  • StacyJCrain
    StacyJCrain Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar stiuation. I went off my meds about 6 or7 months ago. Started feeling the way I did when I was first diagnosed as hypo so went to my pcp get back on the meds. The test results showed that my levels were normal so no meds for me. I do know that my gallbladder is functioning at a negative level so I'm not sure if its thats causing the symptoms or something else.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Don't accept labs of NORMAL if they are measuring only TSH! Go to stopthethyroidmadness.com and read about TSH and why it is useless in determining your metabolism.
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are both Hypo. His is due to the aging process I think. just developed a couple of years ago and he has been doing well since. My Hypo is due to having half of my thyroid removed. So the point I'm trying to make. My Husband saw his PCP today and had results from labs that were ordered by his Endo. I asked the PCP what the results showed. He said they were normal. T3, T4 and TSH. Fine, so we get home and he has a telephone call from the nurse at the Endo's office saying that his labs showed low and he is increasing his medication. ????????? Enough to drive you nuts.:explode:

My advice is find an Endo that will work with you and keep tabs on where you are with your labs as well as how you feel. It would be nice to be able to go to one Doctor and have them take care of everything but, unfortunately it ain't gonna happen. At least not often.

Hang in there. :flowerforyou: