Another "am I understanding this right" post

Options
cherrybomb_77
cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
I posted in one of the stickied threads, but I didn't get a response so I figured I'd copy paste here to make sure it was seen!

Okay, I've spent the last few days reading through all the stuff on TDEE and BMR on the forums. PLEASE tell me if I have this right, because every time I think I do, I read something that totally confuses me again.

Here are my stats-

TDEE-15% is 2340
BMR (according to MFP) is 1746

So, you're saying I should be eating 2340 every day, and not eating back any exercise calories unless I burn more than 594 exercising? (TDEE-15%-BMR=594). So if I burned say, 826 calories one day for exercise, I should eat back 232? I calculated my TDEE assuming my normal fitness level (exercising 3-5x a week), so what if for a week or two I only work out twice, say because I'm sick or something? Honestly I'm pretty terrified to eat that much, I don't know if I can get through the mental block! I just upped my calories to 1610 from 1360, 2340 seems like a ton.

Also, I should be eating 2340 even on days I don't exercise? But make sure I net at least my BMR on days I do exercise? Yes? And recalculate every 5 pounds, or if my regular exercise changes?

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Sorry your question was missed...we try hard to keep up and there are some more fab people that help out tremendously too...

Glad you posted here.

Ok, you are on point...Yes to all your questions:smile:

I know it seems like a lot, if you want, bump up slowly but remember your body will go through an adjustment each time. I am a jump head in first, think later person, but I know it is hard to think that eating this much can be "real". But the answer is YEP...many of us are walking proof that it is so. So much better than starving...

The only thing is to make sure you read the What to expect when upping...also maybe check out some of the videos too. They will help. This is not a drop weight quick fad of any kind...it is a life long journey that is maintainable...fueling your body, lifting weights, with moderate cardio equals lean muscle mass increase, inches decrease, fat loss, and downward movement on the scale. I would say put the scale away and take measurements and watch your body transform in the mirror.:flowerforyou:
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh, no problem, I just know that stickied threads don't "bump" like new threads do, so I figured I should just make a new one!

I was doing 1200 and moved up to 1380, then up to 1610 and just went up to my BMR (1746). So I think I'm going to make sure I'm netting that for a week or two while I adjust, it's a big difference going from so little food to what feels like a lot! I did read through the "What to expect" thread, so I'm trying to prepare myself for that. I have a very unhealthy attachment to the scale and the number on the scale, so I'm trying to work through that.

Thank you! And thanks for the stickied threads, I feel like I understand it all so much better now.