Cardio

Options
MrsKosal
MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
How much Cardio are you doing and what type? I'm trying to change things up a little and not sure how to adjust my cardio. I do a class on M and W, that only burn about 250-300 calories per 45 min class. I'm thinking I should be burning more than that for my cardio. Any thoughts? I'm also adding in more strength training sessions with my husband training me at least 3 days per week.

Replies

• scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    i just started the c25k and I am cutting back on my cardio. the more you burn the more you may have to eat back. I have in the past did cardio for 60 to 90 minutes 5-6 days a week. imo that is too much for a non pro athlete. last nite i did 30mins of run/walking and burned about 300 calories which was perfect. i didnt have to eat a ton of workout calories back and i actually lost some scale weight even tho i ate a ton for dinner last nite.
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I was actually thinking about starting C25K as well. I've gotten so close to finishing in the past and always stopped mid way through. My husband seems to think that if I do all this strength training its going to make a big difference. He looks amazing and knows his stuff, so I am going to try it.
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I was actually thinking about starting C25K as well. I've gotten so close to finishing in the past and always stopped mid way through. My husband seems to think that if I do all this strength training its going to make a big difference. He looks amazing and knows his stuff, so I am going to try it.

he's right, if you had only time to do strength or cardio strength would be the best for weight loss, body recomp, and overall healthy living imo. I'm trying to incorporate more strength training myself but have felt very weak during the last couple months while eating a large deficits. I think now that i'm starting this new way of eating (smaller deficit) i will have more energy to workout more on the weights.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I'm still doing the JMBR program which has 2 days of cardio and then the rest is circuit training.

I do cardio on top of that program though but mainly bike riding and swimming. Bike riding, probably 4-6 times a week and swimming, probably 1-2 times a week (but that will increase probably to 5 days a week once summer vacation starts!)
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I mix it up. I have several DVDs that I rotate or I will do HIIT on the elliptical once or twice a week. My total workout goal was 30 mins when I started. It's gone to 60 and now 75 mins. I include circuit, strength and cardio into most days. I workout 6 days per week for the most part.

I have the following DVDs when I want to add more cardio:
    17 Day Diet - 17 min Cardio Abs, Cardio Buns
    Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds)
    Dancercise 4-Pack (Belly Dancing, Hip Hop, Jazz and Salsa)
    The Firm Cardio Explosion (a series of 12 min cardio workouts)

I didn't lose many lbs with just strength/circuit training, but I went down 2 pant sizes. When I add at least 30 mins of cardio to the training, the scale starts to move.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I used to be a huge cardio junkie...not so much that I loves it as I thought I needed those huge burns. Now that I have cut it down to 2-3 days a week things seem to be going better. I had an injury and can't lift for 10 days...bummer, looks like it will be ALL cardio for me for awhile. Can't wait to get back to the weights! I think 2-3 days is quite sufficient.
  • TiffyChick
    TiffyChick Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Wow! I do not know HOW you guys burn so many calories doing cardio! I do a stationary bike for 25 minutes with level 3 resistance and I keep a pretty good pace. I definitely sweat and have to push myself to get through it. I only burn 120-150 calories each time (machine readout). Hats off to you all - I must be a major wimp. LOL

And for the life of my I can NOT figure out why when I do the elliptical and I'm sweating harder and my heart is beating faster (because I'm engaging my arms, also) I show LESS calories burned. Very frustrating and I don't understand it. : /
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I usually do one 5+miles run a week.