30 DS Plus Eating

Options
tmacmoto
tmacmoto Posts: 286 Member
I was MFP surfing (like we all do at the office, when we're not supposed to) and I found someone's personal quote for their wall that made me just stop, think, then re-think, and act on one particular habit.

What I eat.

The quote: "What you eat in your personal life shows up in your public life"

So, we're all doing the 30DS, but are we also eating/drinking properly? Making sure we get enough protein, carbs, and even fat. Getting enough water. Are we going to far over on our 'Cheat Day' or does it become 'Cheat Weekend'
So, to be honest...i've never been the best at food consistency. MFP is definitely trying to change that and trying to change me to see what I eat and how it affects me.

I just want to open this up to all in this group. Yes, we're here to shred, but we can also be here to help motivate, encourage, and learn from what we eat.

Happy Shredding Y'all! (didn't expect the "y'all" did ya?)

Replies

• hmerri
    hmerri Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've been doing pretty good at eating since starting the Shred. I've kept it under my calorie goal most days. I've also been drinking water a lot too...usually getting in my full 8 glasses MFP has you track. My biggest goal is to eat clean, which to me is less processed. More fruits and veggies, and no to little crap. Really trying to get out the refined stuff as well, including sugar.

Glad you posted about eating. Doing the Shred daily (almost) makes me want to stick to eating healthy as well. No way am I going to suffer Jillian to just eat whatever! :)
  • aasshhll33yy
    Options
    Since joining MFP I've definitely has much cleaner eating. I think over the last year I've done well with stopping myself. On days where I cheat, I stay within my calorie goal.. I've also stopped drinking anything but water..so I always drink atleast 8 cups a day, sometimes more. I've found that I'd rather eat my calories than drink them. so for the last couple months I've had only water.. (unless I've had milk in my cereal) lol, but that's the only time. I'm hoping to be able to stick to it. my weaknesses are cookies and candy, and I'm doing what I can to stay clear of those items. I've subbed candy and that for popcorn (and I've even switched to my own pop, vs the bag..).. and fruits when im hungry.I try to go to veggies more, but at the end, I eat them at lunch, and don't favour them to fruit lol..
  • tmacmoto
    Options
    I think that working these ideas of proper eating and exercise is the key really. I agree, I don't want to suffer this much and have it all go to the wayside because I'm not eating properly Amd that means tracking and tweaking what we do.
    I'm still battling the drinking my calories at times, but that's just one more challenge to face. Cold water with lime juice has been my personal savior.
    For my sweet tooth, I'm substituting a good trail mix that I found trying to incorporate good omega-3 and good nuts. Though I still do popcorn from time to time. Gotta snack a little on date night. Thanks to the both of you for your responses. I hope this helps others.
  • jcmjim22
    jcmjim22 Posts: 162
    Options
    I definitely get my water in every day. My breakfasts and dinners are usually really good and healthy. Sometimes going out to lunch with co-workers is tough. I've been choosing lower calorie and fat dishes but I'm learning the sodium is off the charts at some of these places. So I've been also trying to keep sodium and sugar in check. And I've really been trying to get my fat intake from the good fat sources. I still have coffee with cream and sugar and a diet coke everyday though...both caffeine free. I do snack on popcorn if I have leftover calories and usually do the small 100 calorie bags. I'll definitely eat more clean this summer when the local fruit and veggie stands open.

Good topic! :)
  • jetsgirl
    jetsgirl Posts: 50
    Options
    Great discussion!

I drink a coffee in the morning with 5% cream and the rest of the day I drink Mint Green Tea (3 cups) and then for this month my goal is to drink at least 10 cups of water which I've been successful with so far. I've also been trying to keep my eye on sodium which was much higher than I would have thought and am trying to get lots of potassium to counteract it. So this week I started drinking one cup of coconut water after my morning workout (2miles Leslie Sansone) to help with that.

As for food, I try very hard to have 1 or 2 salads a day with spinach. I eat a few fruits during the day for snacks. For dinner, usually chicken or turkey (white meat only) with lots of veggies. And of course I eat bread, rice etc but its all whole wheat or whole grain. Chocolate is usually my only weakness but I went from eating it every night to eating it maybe once or twice a week and only a bite or two.

As for cheat times, I do really well all day but most weekends we order a pizza but I only have 2 or 3 slices and that's it. And I get veggies and ham on it....better than meat lovers right? Right? :wink:

Oh, how do you guys get your ticker to show up? I would like to do that but can't figure it out.
  • hmerri
    hmerri Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Cold water with lime juice has been my personal savior.

Thanks to the both of you for your responses. I hope this helps others.

Oh my goodness...me too on the lime in cold water!! So good. I've been using fresh key limes.

You're welcome for the response. I 'm glad you stated it, as I love to see other people's ideas as well. For the record..I cheated today, but am still under calorie goal. Made HOMEMADE onion fries...and they were so good. Thought I should share my cheat and be held accountable somewhere. :)
  • kwheelock
    kwheelock Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    In the past my biggest issue with food has been portion control. So, that's where I started when I began this lifestyle change. It has now evolved to cutting back on the sweets and carbs...both are my absolute favorite. I'll be honest though, I had a really hard time thinking calorie counting would help me. I was afraid I'd be so focused on the calories that I wouldn't be able to enjoy my meals because I was obsessing. It's proven to be much better than I thought. I stay under my calorie goal almost every day. Even on cheat days I really try to stay under or just over (not excessive). There have been a couple days that I fail to realize I haven't eaten much until later in the evening and because I don't want to get the "you're eating too few calories" note I grab a snack, but sometimes I splurge and have a little more, totally defeating the purpose.

I have 9 days left of the 30 Day Shred and I really want to see a difference. I'm a bit discouraged because even though I've lost a few pounds and a few inches, I feel I should have lost more. I've worked really hard though and I'm determined to lose this weight...it's just been really hard lately feeling encouraged. Gotta stick with it!
  • Lmdaniels
    Lmdaniels Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Since returning to MFP I have been more conscious of what I eat. Drinking more water is my struggle. If I'm working out I can get in 24 oz esasy, but it's the other times that I go for the diet mountain dew (switched from regular) and also usually one a day, not 3. Also, we are big on fast food, or were. We have cut back to weekends only, and never McDs. Usually a sit down and then, I go for the Skinny Menu. Sodium is definitely a killer when eating out. Because I've had high blood pressure,that's one I watch closely. Since my diet change and weight loss, been off the meds and doing great. Now I have something to share with my patients.:happy:
  • jetsgirl
    Options
    I'm a bit discouraged because even though I've lost a few pounds and a few inches, I feel I should have lost more. I've worked really hard though and I'm determined to lose this weight...it's just been really hard lately feeling encouraged. Gotta stick with it!

I don't think The Shred was designed to lose weight. If you search through the boards you will see very few lost much weight. Seems the average was 2-6 lbs. Keep working at it and maybe next month try something different. I'm going to do the Ripped in 30.
  • jetsgirl
    Options
    Because I've had high blood pressure,that's one I watch closely. Since my diet change and weight loss, been off the meds and doing great. Now I have something to share with my patients.:happy:

That is awesome that you are off the meds!!! GOOD FOR YOU!!!!
  • tmacmoto
    Options
    I'm a bit discouraged because even though I've lost a few pounds and a few inches, I feel I should have lost more. I've worked really hard though and I'm determined to lose this weight...it's just been really hard lately feeling encouraged. Gotta stick with it!

I don't think The Shred was designed to lose weight. If you search through the boards you will see very few lost much weight. Seems the average was 2-6 lbs. Keep working at it and maybe next month try something different. I'm going to do the Ripped in 30.

This is a very important distinction to keep in mind regarding the 30DS. We are incorporating a lot of toning which we all know have been some dreaded exercises, and due to that we are putting on some muscle....maybe, not a lot but enough to have the appearance that we are not losing 'weight'.
    It is key that we measure ourselves at the starting weight, current weight (through the process) and the end weight of these 30 days or take pictures. Don't let yourself get discouraged, because what you are doing is creating a sustainable lifestyle change and key is sustainable. Yes, we can have some fun from time to time, but being consistent is key.
    I know that we can keep this up and have great results in the next 21 days!
  • tmacmoto
    Options
    Eating in and Eating Out. We work out so much in this group..that sometimes, we just want to treat ourselves, but at the sametime we don't want to destroy all of our hard work by one meal. Our food log only saves what we input into the system. It doesn't tell us what to eat.
    I have to admit, that on the weekends I like to go out and not cook and just have fun. But bearing in mind proper food choices. Here is what I had for Sunday brunch. Roasted beet salad, arugula, goat cheese, walnuts, grilled salmon with balsamic dressing. All in all it ended up being somewhere under 500 calories. I never thought that I would like roasted beets, but the great natural sugars and it's texture actually made it 'meaty'. The grilled salmon with the rich omega 3 and good fatty proteins were great after my 600 calorie burning elliptical workout earlier that morning. See picture.

beetsalad.jpg

So, here's the big question2: How are you eating? Are you logging everything in? Are you getting enough protein, carbs, and fats? How can we help you?

We're working out and Eating out as well....So, here's to Good Eats...wait, that's another show.
  • jcmjim22
    jcmjim22 Posts: 162
    Options
    That looks really yummy! I've never tried beets....might have to give them a try.

I definitely eat better during the week. I just feel that my whole day is more structured. And like you tmacmoto I want to eat out during the weekend and take a break from cooking every night. I have been making better choices. My husband is not watching what he eats right now but he's been a good sport when we eat out by letting me pick places where there are decent choices for me.

My dinner last night was decadent...filet, potato gratin with Gruyere cheese and an iceberg wedge salad with blue cheese crumbles and blue cheese dressing. Blue cheese dressing is not good for you...150 calories for 2 tbsp. But hey it was my first mother's day and I managed to still stay within my calories but went over on fat. Sorry no picture to make you all jealous. :)

I do log everything I eat. Even if it's really a guess I tend to pick a higher calorie entry from the database to be on the safe side. I am trying to keep sodium and sugar under the daily goals. I'm also trying to make better choices when it comes to the fats I eat. I'm trying to choose the good fats like avocados and nuts. I need to add in more good fat fish. I tend to stick with tilapia the most...I need to branch out more. I don't eat very much red meat anymore and I think I may not be getting enough iron so I think I need to starting taking a vitamin again which I should be doing anyway since I'm still breastfeeding. I'm also trying to eat at least one non-meat meal a week.
  • tmacmoto
    Options
    So, with Memorial Day Weekend coming up and the inevitable Bar B Que, picnics and fairs throughout the nations there will be people bringing food, sharing food and gorging on food.
    There will be a lot of good, bad, and just all yummy food. But, being the bearer of MFP motivation, I would like to encourage you to eat in moderation, log everything in, take pictures if you forget what you ate and too busy to log in.
    I would also like to offer a great desert to take to one of those family/friend BBQ.
    Watermelon cake with yogurt and slivered almonds with blueberry topping.

watermeloncake.jpg
  • AdiposeRapture
    Options
    LOVE this and my daughter asked me to make a watermelon cake ALL the time and I couldn't fathom how I would manage that- she will be SO excited. *and so am I*
    So, with Memorial Day Weekend coming up and the inevitable Bar B Que, picnics and fairs throughout the nations there will be people bringing food, sharing food and gorging on food.
    There will be a lot of good, bad, and just all yummy food. But, being the bearer of MFP motivation, I would like to encourage you to eat in moderation, log everything in, take pictures if you forget what you ate and too busy to log in.
    I would also like to offer a great desert to take to one of those family/friend BBQ.
    Watermelon cake with yogurt and slivered almonds with blueberry topping.

watermeloncake.jpg
  • jld66
    jld66 Posts: 18
    Options
    Looks mouth watering DELICIOUS!!! :tongue: