Success without hitting macro goals?

Options
guava6982
guava6982 Posts: 26 Member
Hi! I am a few days into upping my calories. My calories are set at 1900 (moderate activity), and my macros are 40/30/30, as they have been for over a year. With the calorie increase, I am having a very hard time fitting in enough protein (143g). I am a vegetarian, and despite careful meal planning and including whey protein in my diet, I am almost always under my protein goal and over my carb goal. 143 grams of protein is a lot when a serving of tofu has less than 10g. So, I'm curious to know if people are having success with eating more calories if they aren't hitting their macro goals. I will continue to work on my diet, but it's definitely a challenge. Thoughts?

Replies

• lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Do you eat eggs and dairy? I'm a vegetarian too, and while I don't hit my goal everyday, I'm getting a lot better. Feel free to look at my diary. I get to eat 2200 cal a day, and my protein goal is 156 I think (MFP always adds more to my goal when I exercise, which I ignore).
  • lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    More specifically, pretty much everyday I eat:

greek yogurt
    almonds
    eggs
    cheese
    beans or lentils
    whey
    whole grains
    "fake meat" (boca, morningstar, etc.), usually at dinner
    cottage cheese
  • guava6982
    guava6982 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    More specifically, pretty much everyday I eat:

greek yogurt
    almonds
    eggs
    cheese
    beans or lentils
    whey
    whole grains
    "fake meat" (boca, morningstar, etc.), usually at dinner
    cottage cheese

Thanks for the reply :) Yes, I do eat eggs and dairy. A typical day looks like this:
    Breakfast: Greek yogurt
    Lunch: It varies. Sometimes it's bean/veggie/tofu chili, or baked tofu with roasted veggies and quinoa, or salad with hard boiled eggs, beans, and feta.
    Dinner: Also varies. It always includes tofu, tempeh, seitan, beans, eggs, or prepared meat substitutes (like veggie sausage)
    Snacks: Almonds, fruit with peanut butter, protein bars, cheese sticks, cottage cheese, and protein shakes (soy milk and whey protein).

After about a year or working on it, I am finally getting over 100g of protein on a pretty consistent basis, but it's rare to get over 115g without multiple servings of protein powder. I don't know...maybe it's a matter of having multiple servings of the foods that I know will work.