BodyMedia Fit vs. Bodybugg

swingkid1975
swingkid1975 Posts: 105 Member
What can you guys tell me about Bodymedia Fit vs Bodybugg. They look very similar but BB is cheaper but BMF gives you sleep info. I'm definitely interested in getting one; I'm just not sure which one.

If you have one do you like it or not? Would you recommend it or not?

Replies

• scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    What can you guys tell me about Bodymedia Fit vs Bodybugg. They look very similar but BB is cheaper but BMF gives you sleep info. I'm definitely interested in getting one; I'm just not sure which one.

If you have one do you like it or not? Would you recommend it or not?

Ive had the bodymedia fit for about 1month now and i love it. I got the bluetooth link version so i can get real time info on my phone. As far as the differences if you go to their website they have a comparison tool. It will tell you everything you need to know about either. I really don't know the differences off hand.

The only issue I have with mine is it seems with lower intensity cardio i get low calorie estimates compared with what I feel I should get, but if I up the intensity it seems to be more in line with what I should be burning. I don't mind that at all as imo if it is under estimating my daily TDEE by a little thats a little bit of a cushion. I would rather have that then over estimating by TDEE.
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    I just got the BMF and I LOVE it!!! I also have the Link model, which links with my phone. I'm obsessed with it now. :)
  • slammy1079
    slammy1079 Posts: 97
    Are there any that don't involve arm bands? I am really curious but wear a lot of tank tops!
  • scottc561
    Are there any that don't involve arm bands? I am really curious but wear a lot of tank tops!

there are others like the fitbit and nike band and few other companies make em, they are basically pedometers and they wont be as accurate as bmf.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    I have one and I love it. I just need to stop fighting against it. Some days I do & others well I don't like to listen to it. On the days I work I sometimes wonder if it over estimates my calories burned and I've questioned it but I always gotten no as a response. On those days I burn about 3500 calories with only 30 minutes of strength training. If I don't strength train its about 3200 calories. I'm a salesperson at a department store so I'm on my feet for 9 hours and I'm always moving. I don't like to stand still & do nothing.
  • scottc561
    I have one and I love it. I just need to stop fighting against it. Some days I do & others well I don't like to listen to it. On the days I work I sometimes wonder if it over estimates my calories burned and I've questioned it but I always gotten no as a response. On those days I burn about 3500 calories with only 30 minutes of strength training. If I don't strength train its about 3200 calories. I'm a salesperson at a department store so I'm on my feet for 9 hours and I'm always moving. I don't like to stand still & do nothing.

I have the opposite problem, I always think it under estimates lol
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member

I bet that is pretty close if you are on your feet all day. I have had a BB for a few years now, I wear it on and off, love the data, hate wearing the band just like the other poster said about tank tops/shorts sleeves.
    What I have learned over the years: Make sure you are wearing it in the correct spot, on your LEFT arm at the BACK of your arm, right over your tricep area. When I first started out, I think I wore mine more to the side of my arm and was getting higher readings that way, darn it.
    Also, I know a lot of people subtract a little bit like 10% from the total number to account for error. I also notice I don't get as big of burns on an elliptical vs. running or walking on a treadmill and have read others complain of low burns on that and also with biking. Not sure why that is. I have read of some people putting it on their lower legs (not sure of placement) during these activity with more accurate results. Not sure what they are comparing to, but you could play around with that. I like a little cushion too, like Scott, but when you are talking about eating more to lose and wanting to get as close to 15%, I hate to be too far off.
    I have worn mine so much, I can pretty much guess at the end of the day what my total will be, even if I haven't looked at it. I know exactly how much I burn with what types of workouts and I can tell by my NEAT (non exercise activity) how much more I probably have burned. I just popped it back on this week (even though it is short sleeves weather) because I am upping my calories and I want to make sure I am estimating my activity level correctly at this weight/time.
    Another tip, if you are getting ready to let your subscription expire, make sure you log in and clear all the information, that way, you can wear it at least 7 days here and there (if you have the display) and see what you are burning. I like to do that for the warmer months, (that is what I am doing right now. Unfortunately, once it fills up on info, I will have to decide whether I want to renew right now or not. I was hoping to wait until Fall and if I was lighter by then, I would have/need different info. I have a feeling I will probably renew to get me through this eating more transition. Just wanted to add, I really don't like the website, I still use this one. The only reason I log in is to unload the info, and maybe look at averages. If I could find a way to hack the thing to unload the info, I would be one happy camper. Then I would just use the display for daily readings when I needed it.
    I have read where some girls wear it inside their bra band over their left ribcage with success. I may try that one of these "normal" activity days to see how it reads.
    Oh, and I am jealous! I have the stupid ugly watch readout, I would love the one that links to my iphone!!! Someday maybe I will splurge.
    Good luck to you guys!
  • aeiche
    aeiche Posts: 6
    The BodyMedia and the BodyBugg are identical devices produced by the same company. The BodyBugg is a 24 Hour Fitness sponsored product. 24 runs the website for the bodybugg and provides the service for it. If you're not a 24 Hour Fitness club member, the BodyBugg will not work for you.

I have a BodyMedia sensor, and have been using it for a couple of weeks. I think it's awesome. I don't really rely on it to guide my weightloss, I just like having the data to review. It's good to have a gauge of what I'm doing, rather than generalized information.
  • swingkid1975
    swingkid1975 Posts: 105 Member
    Thanks all. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get the Bodymedia.
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    The BodyMedia and the BodyBugg are identical devices produced by the same company. The BodyBugg is a 24 Hour Fitness sponsored product. 24 runs the website for the bodybugg and provides the service for it. If you're not a 24 Hour Fitness club member, the BodyBugg will not work for you.

I have a BodyMedia sensor, and have been using it for a couple of weeks. I think it's awesome. I don't really rely on it to guide my weightloss, I just like having the data to review. It's good to have a gauge of what I'm doing, rather than generalized information.

I have a bodybugg and do not have a 24 hour fitness membership, but I bought mine before the bmf was out, maybe that is the difference? The website works fine for me. The main difference I have heard is bmf measures your sleep time/quality too.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    I have a BMF and I love it!! The sleep feature is very interesting. I always thought I got at least 7 hours of sleep but on most nights I average about 5-6. Had no idea!! I guess I toss and turn a lot!!!

Also my TDEE is a lot higher than I estimated so I'll have to adjust my calories at some point. I've only my BMF for 14 days so I'm going to give it another 2 weeks so I can get a month's average and then go from there.
  • jennys11
    jennys11 Posts: 118 Member
    My bodybugg says bodymedia on it. Made by the same company, so whichever you choose, does the same thing, that is the important thing! You will love it.
  • scottc561
    If it matters for those interested the bodymedia fit link version can show real time info on your smartphone. That's real important to me so I would suggest it if you like that option. If you go to the bodymedia websight you can compare all the models together including non bodymedia devices. It shows everything and makes it simple to decide what you want to buy.