Hello, new to this group

Options
scottc561
scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
Hi, I have been reading up on most of the info from this group and I beleive it is time for me to do this. Just alittle about myself. I have been actively trying to better myself on MFP since January. My start weight and heaviest weight ever was 278. I am currently hovering around 245 as I have been in a off and on plateau since losing 30lbs. I am 5 11..5 to 6 ft depending on the day of the week lol and am 39.

I have been using a bodymedia fit for 1month and my normal daily burn is about 3000 if I dont hit the gym and 3300 to 3700 if I do, or if I do alot of yard work outside on weekends. Up until this point i have been eating imo alot less then I should have with the beleive that I have plenty of fat to withstand a large daily deficit. I have been shooting for a 1000k daily deficit hoping for 2lbs of lose per week. But when I count workout calories my net calories are alot of times very low as I had been doing 60 to 90 minutes of cardio at the gym. I doubt I have eaten my net bmr more then a couple times in the last 4months.

So since I have a pretty good handle on what my usual burn is I have decided to just eat 500 calories less then my previous days TDEE. This is pretty close to 15% cut as you recommend. If I burn more then 3300 I just substract this by 500 and the next day eat that amount. I like doing it the day after since perfectly estimating my current day is not known until very late. Hence the day after seems to make sense and I know some bodybuilders do this day after for eating the next days calories.

If I go by the fat2fit estimates it says I should eat around 2700 to 3000 depending on my activity level. Does this plan sound like it would work? I did notice last nite after eating a very large dinner to make up for alot of calories I actually lost weight on the scale this morning which was a surprise. As I usually gain weight after large meals.

Anyways I love this group already and all the videos and info you have worked so hard to put out.

Replies

• lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Hello! For consistency (which your body craves), it might be better to track your burns with your BMF and average out the calories to a daily TDEE cut to eat everyday, rather than varying off of the previous day's burn. I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make, but I'm sure somebody more experienced than me will chime in soon!
  • scottc561
    Options
    Hello! For consistency (which your body craves), it might be better to track your burns with your BMF and average out the calories to a daily TDEE cut to eat everyday, rather than varying off of the previous day's burn. I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make, but I'm sure somebody more experienced than me will chime in soon!

Ya i originally was going to do that, but my workout and burn has changed pretty drastically the last week or so with me cutting back on my massive cardio that I had been doing. I just started c25k yesterday and I plan on doing weight training for 3 days a week also. So my bmf estimate for the last month would be off. Which is why I thought using my last days burn-500 for current day calories made sense. Plus that way I can also eat more if I had a really large burn day. I'd love to hear more opinions on this or any other suggestions. As I am not completely locked into this mode of thinking.
  • scottc561
    Options
    was hoping to hear from you guys, what you think?
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Scott,

Whew, I am all about ease...if you are comfy with your BMF numbers, then go ahead with your original plan of doing the cut from the previous day and eating that figure. The reason I love the TDEE-15% cut, bam, you know your number and you don't have to think about it. With the BMF you should have a more accurate account and consistently eat a good amount while maintaining a decent deficit.

See how that works for you for the next four weeks. Consistency is key so be sure to eat the allotted amount you are supposed to.
    Lucia

Again, sorry I didn't catch this one yesterday...please forgive me:flowerforyou:
  • scottc561
    Options
    Scott,

Whew, I am all about ease...if you are comfy with your BMF numbers, then go ahead with your original plan of doing the cut from the previous day and eating that figure. The reason I love the TDEE-15% cut, bam, you know your number and you don't have to think about it. With the BMF you should have a more accurate account and consistently eat a good amount while maintaining a decent deficit.

See how that works for you for the next four weeks. Consistency is key so be sure to eat the allotted amount you are supposed to.
    Lucia

Again, sorry I didn't catch this one yesterday...please forgive me:flowerforyou:

Thanks for the response. I have been reading about this idea of eating <500 calorie deficit (or your goal weight TDEE) for awhile and it has always made alot of sense but I just couldn't bring myself to increase my calories so much. At my worst I was getting a 1500 to 2000 calorie deficit or more on some high cardio days and now that I think about it, I'm sure that was not healthy at all. I have just since monday raised my daily goal to 2750 and I will stay pretty close to that number daily unless I have a huge calorie burn the day prior, although I have also lowered my cardio greatly so I shouldn't burn to much more then what I plan on (3250 est tdee).

And you know what I am pretty surprised at the fact that even though I have increased my eating so much, I have not gained, I actually have lost a little since I started. It seems that when I go to bed hungry I would wake up and check the scale and find that I didn't lose anything, but when I go to bed satisfied(or full) as last couple days due to late eating) i wake up weighing less. I know I shouldn't jump on the scale, but it keeps me motivated and I realize most gains are water weight.

Anyways thanks for making this group, and all the videos. This is the most active group I have been a part of. My only concern is my weight loss will/should take alot longer but I know this is a lifestyle change and I plan on keeping the weight off forever. I know quick loss=quick gain and vice a versa.:smile:
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Look forward to your before and after pics.