Mods for Deadlift? Also info about lunges.

Val_from_OH
Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
Last night I did Workout 2B and nearly killed myself trying to do deadlifts with only 10lbs added to the bar. I think part of the issue is that the bar is so close to the floor. If I was lifting more like 100 lbs, the plates would keep the bar off the floor by several inches. Has anyone tried any modfications to these?

Also, for the lunges, please confirm that each repition consists of a right lunge and a left lunge. The pics show the girl holding probably 15 lb dumbells, but I cannot complete a full set with 5 lb barbie weights.

Replies

• mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    I am glad you asked this! I am doing deadlifts tonight for the first time, but I don't have a bar. Any mods that don't require a bar?? I have dumbells, bands, and a bench...
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Not sure on modifying deadlift.

For lunges, 1 rep is definitely 1 lunge on each leg (alternating). I struggle with holding 10 lb. or 12.5 lb. in each hand, but I'm hoping to move up to 15 lb./hand by the end of stage 1. I think these are going to be my slowest weight increase.
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Second on the lunges. I've been doing them with 25's in each hand, going to up to 30's on my next set. Step up's for me are the worst >.< One thing, however, is to really focus on getting that back leg down and that front leg bent. It'll make a big difference. But the plus is that the further you go in the program the less you have to do :p
  • cpa8198
    cpa8198 Posts: 154 Member
    For the deadlifts, you can probably put the bar on a step with 2-3 risers so the bar is level to your shin???? :ohwell:
  • lu123
    lu123 Posts: 247 Member
    I am glad you asked this! I am doing deadlifts tonight for the first time, but I don't have a bar. Any mods that don't require a bar?? I have dumbells, bands, and a bench...

you can do deadlifts with dumbells :smile:
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    You are correct about deadlifts. If you're lifting less than 135 lbs. (Olympic barbell [45 lbs.] plus two 45 lb. plates) the bar is too close to the floor and you could injure yourself. Some gyms have training plates that are the same diameter as the 45 lb. plates but are made of lighter materials. If your gym doesn't have these then do Romanian deadlifts (see pg. 168) until you're able to lift 135 lbs. doing regular barbell deadlifts. Another option would be to stack other barbell plates until the height is the same as a 45lb. plate. It was a major error on the author's part not to include this warning.

Your assumption of lunges is confirmed. One rep is one lunge per leg. Make sure you're going deep enough so your forward leg is parallel to the floor.
  • DrG3n3
    You are correct about deadlifts. If you're lifting less than 135 lbs. (Olympic barbell [45 lbs.] plus two 45 lb. plates) the bar is too close to the floor and you could injure yourself. Some gyms have training plates that are the same diameter as the 45 lb. plates but are made of lighter materials. If your gym doesn't have these then do Romanian deadlifts (pg. 168) until you're able to lift 135 lbs. Another option would be to stack other barbell plates until the height is the same as a 45lb. plate. It was a major error on the author's part not to include this warning.

Your assumption of lunges is confirmed. One rep is one lunge per leg. Make sure you're going deep enough so your forward leg is parallel to the floor.

Oh, wow! I did not know that. I'm 5 ft 2 if you round up, with short arms. Should I still prop the bar up some inches so it's not all the way down? I don't feel like I'm doing any thing unnatural to reach it, sitting with with the 10lb plates on it it reaches my shins, but should it really be halfway up them? And when I go down, should I not touch the floor but whatever I use to raise the bar?
  • bubbles1212
    bubbles1212 Posts: 206 Member

I don't have a bar either. I just use two dumbells.
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    I struggle with those darn lunges. I want to add weight, but my balance is off when I alternate legs. So, I've been staying in one place, back foot on a bench and do all of the lunges on one side and then switch. I can feel them more in my hamstrings this way so I hope it's okay. Last week, I did walking lunges, but felt like I was pulling something in my right hamstring with every step. Ugh.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Second on the lunges. I've been doing them with 25's in each hand, going to up to 30's on my next set. Step up's for me are the worst >.< One thing, however, is to really focus on getting that back leg down and that front leg bent. It'll make a big difference. But the plus is that the further you go in the program the less you have to do :p

I found a video that helped with the step ups.. the tip was to lift up your toes on your bottom foot and keep the weight in the heel. This "forces" you to put more pressure on the leg on the step and help push it up:) The difference in my last workout to this one was crazy!!
  • DrG3n3

I found a video that helped with the step ups.. the tip was to lift up your toes on your bottom foot and keep the weight in the heel. This "forces" you to put more pressure on the leg on the step and help push it up:) The difference in my last workout to this one was crazy!!

Ooh! Do you have the link still?