Hysterectomy and belly fat

Options
sunnyrunner77
sunnyrunner77 Posts: 47 Member
Hello ladies! I've been working steadily toward improving my health and weight loss over the past 70ish days, and have lost 11 pounds. I'm doing the Couch to 5K program 3 times a week, plus various other exercises (yoga, pilates, Zuma, cardiosculpting) at least 2 other days a week.

I realized from day one that with my hysterectomy in January, weight loss would be more difficult than when I've lost in the past. And I'm pleased with my progress so far - I'd rather lose slow and keep it off, than lose quickly and run the risk of it piling back on.

However, I do have a concern about my belly. My surgery in January was the 3rd time I'd had my belly cut open vertically from the belly button downward, and as I heal up this last time, I notice that the left side of my belly seems bigger than my right. I"m just curious if anyone else has experienced this, and would love to hear success stories and/or see pics of belly fat loss after an abdominal surgery.

Thanks!!

Replies

• lakebreezewi
    lakebreezewi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had a total abdominal hystorectomy in Oct 2011 - with a horizontal incision from hip to hip. I still have a great deal of belly fat and it seems to be taking forever to heal up. I can tell that not all of the bulgeing is fat as it feels very different and is related to swelling of the muscles as I use them and they try to continue to heal. The shape of my belly is now very "odd" I'm hoping that as I heal it will go back to normal and that the extra weight I've accumulated over the last year will go away too!
  • NeverGoinBack2012
    Options
    I have the same issue with the belly fat except mine is on my right side. I had my hysterectomy in 2007 and noticed that I accumulated belly fat after that surgery. I'm on a journey to lose 60 lbs. I know that the belly fat will be the last to go...
  • berthamh
    berthamh Posts: 5
    Options
    Hello ladies!
    I had my radical hysterectomy Oct. 2011 and it was a horizontal incision. At first, I felt like I had a flatter stomach and was in not too much pain. The excitement was short lived. Now, above the incision is belly bulge and almost everyday is a constant battle with the pain. Even my incision continues to hurt. The NP at the gyn's office said it was normal and all I need to do is exercise, so, here I am, eight months later, FINALLY overcoming my fears and hitting the gym! Wish me luck! I wish the best for all of you as well! :D
  • wendyj441
    wendyj441 Posts: 17
    Options
    Hello Ladies.....I had a hysterectomy on April fools day of last year after 3 c sections....I have noticed that my weight seems to have shifted from everywhere else to my belly and it sucks.....I work a pretty active job and nothing figured I would jump back into this and give it a try...I don't want to have a 20 something body but this mess is out of control and insane...I think it is so crazy because Iwhere the same size of clothes that I did 20 years ago but ewwwww....any suggestions would be great....I just want to get rid of some of this mess that was left behind...I know it's not going to be as easy as it was before my hysterectomy...all but gave up pepsi and nothing trying to eat healthier and watch what goes in been doing a vitamin regimin for the last two years and just maintaining not getting anywhere fast......anyhow enough rambling....good luck everyone
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Very interesting post and comments.
    I had my hysterectomy in 2005 and I too noticed an accumulation of belly fat over the following months , years. But I had no incision and so no scar and no muscle tissue to heal. I was told the reason for the 'fat tummy' was caused by beginning menopause, different metabolism etc.
    With regular workouts (6 days a week) and clean eating my belly looks much better now , is flat but not a fat-free zone by all means :bigsmile:
  • MeliciousGibson
    Options
    I had a TAH in October, 2006 - a horizontal incision. Then I had my left ovary out a year later - and my right ovary out last October. The docs said that my abdomen has definitely been traumatized and that it will take longer to heal and firm back up - especially now that I'm on HRT (at the age of 38). Boy, was HE right - but it's never been this hard for me in the past, why should NOW be any different?

My body has very MUCH changed it's composition - and it sucks. But it's my body, it's unique to me - and even though it's a daily struggle with my self-image, I work very hard to try to love and appreciate it every single day!
  • Charece
    Charece Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy almost 5 years ago and also have the lower belly bulge now. At my post surgery check ups my surgeon jiggled my belly bulge that had appeared and said don't worry this will go away. Well now I have this hanging pooch of skin and fat and can't manage to get rid of it. The only way I see it going away is via tummy tuck (which I can't afford) . It hangs there and I can't stand it. So embarrassing. I have friends who are more over weight than me and that part of their tummy is flat. Not mine. I can't even wear a one piece swim suit because the bulge hangs so low and is so thick it prevents the suit from covering it. If I get a bigger size it won't fit anywhere else. My jeans are loose in the legs because they have to be big in the waist for my lower belly. HELP, I am only 34!
  • dimple_gal
    dimple_gal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy almost 5 years ago and also have the lower belly bulge now. At my post surgery check ups my surgeon jiggled my belly bulge that had appeared and said don't worry this will go away. Well now I have this hanging pooch of skin and fat and can't manage to get rid of it. The only way I see it going away is via tummy tuck (which I can't afford) . It hangs there and I can't stand it. So embarrassing. I have friends who are more over weight than me and that part of their tummy is flat. Not mine. I can't even wear a one piece swim suit because the bulge hangs so low and is so thick it prevents the suit from covering it. If I get a bigger size it won't fit anywhere else. My jeans are loose in the legs because they have to be big in the waist for my lower belly. HELP, I am only 34!

This is me! I had an ectopic pregnancy and then cesarean 24 year ago. It does flatten out after a while, but you must take care not to gain too much weight or it will grow. I too cannot wear a one piece and two pieces must be heavy fabric or else the c-shelf shows through! I have been working the past year on shrinking it and it does shrink! Cardio to lose weight all over and ab exercises do help with the appearance and posture which makes a big difference. Still can't wear a one piece though, so I gotta work with the two piece.