What's more important: Meeting Macro's or meeting calories?

TiffyChick
TiffyChick Posts: 89 Member
I am finally starting to get the hang of planning my eating out so that I'm hitting my macro's (or very, very close to them - like, within 5 grams or less). The only problem is, I am sometimes off on what my calorie consumption should be. If I hit my macro's but am 100 calories or less away from my calorie goal for the day is that okay?

Thanks for the help - I love this board - it is getting me on track and I feel REALLY positive about my fitness journey because of it. I <3 this place! : )

Tiffany

Replies

• lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Definitely try and hit your calories. If you have your macros to almost perfect by the time you are 100 calories away from your calorie goal, you deserve an ice cream bar or something... :wink: But really, I think the calories are more important, though you definitely want to try and get your macros in pretty good order.
  • TiffyChick
    I would LOVE to enjoy an ice cream bar or something LOL! I'm just worried that I should never go over on my carbs or fats (somehow I think that going over on my proteins is okay). Is it okay to cheat a bit and have that mini splurge that sends you over on carbs and/or fats if it helps you reach your calorie goal?
  • lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    I think so. I look more at the weekly big picture. There are some days I go over on fat, some days on carbs, I try and get it to kinda even out on a weekly basis.
  • TiffyChick
    That makes so much sense, Lillebanon. Thank you so much for the assistance - I sometimes need a fresh perspective for the light bulb to go on. Thank you! : )
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Remember this is a life journey...we all deserve to enjoy food. I have been off on my menu lately just been so busy to log but I always have snacks. I enjoy what I love and fitit in...moderation is key.

So if one da a little over on any....it is ok.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    There is no Banhammer that comes down if you go over on something for a day.. nor is there alarm bells if you are under.. the goal is to get as close as you can to your macro numbers and still be within your cals.. overall in your week, you want to be breaking even on them, but in the end, it wont make a huge difference if on Monday you were over on carbs, and wed you were over on Fat.. you know?
  • TiffyChick
    All of this input from you ladies means a lot to me. I struggle with that compulsive/strict inner voice every time I try to "get healthy"...it led me down an unhealthy path of deprivation and near-anorexia 8 years ago, and when I realized how unhealthy I was living, I stopped fitness cold turkey. No more exercising, no more logging every little thing (including sugar-free gum), and no more obsessing about every little thing I put in my mouth. Only problem is, I've gained 43 pounds in the time since. I am REALLY trying to keep my obsessive tendencies "in check", but I struggle on some days. Or I binge and then feel super guilty about it. I'm really hoping that EMTWL will help me be healthy AND happy at the same time without the constant "mea culpa" in my head over things that really shouldn't matter. You ladies have really encouraged me tonight - thank you for being a blessing. <3