Overdoing It?

Options
It's so funny how I'm suddenly worried about too much exercise - or at least, not getting enough fuel or rest.'

I've been playing around with my workout schedule. I play roller derby three nights a week (usually Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday, two-hour practices but we're not moving the whole time), according to my HRM I burn anywhere from 400-800 calories depending on what we're doing that night. Usually it's around 600. I just finished reading NROWL and am thinking of tackling that on a Monday-Wednesday plan with a bootcamp-style class on Fridays - or committing to doing my gym's WOD (crossfit-style) on Mondays and Wednesdays with the bootcamp on Friday.

But! I also love to run and still want to squeeze in a couple of runs a week. I'm fine with those being "recovery runs," and I was thinking of doing them Tuesday and Thursday mornings - 3-4 miles or so.

Saturdays are pretty flexible meaning on this schedule I don't feel like I need to workout, but with summer coming I know I'll be biking and hiking and swimming, etc.

I'd like to fit it all in because I am one of those people who is happier when I've exercised, and too much rest makes me antsy. Should I just bump up my activity level and TDEE estimate? Right now it's at moderate.

I've always been active but it's usually been just one thing - marathon training, or hiking all the Adirondack High Peaks, or roller derby. I've never enjoyed strength training but I understand how important it is. So now I just want to do it all! Or am I crazy and at risk for overtraining?

Replies

• BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    See reading your activity makes me think I have mine set up wrong. On the days I work I burn so many calories I set the TDEE calculator to Heavy Exercise. Maybe I should change that....??? This numbers game is exhausting. You are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more active than I am.
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    It's so funny how I'm suddenly worried about too much exercise - or at least, not getting enough fuel or rest.'

I've been playing around with my workout schedule. I play roller derby three nights a week (usually Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday, two-hour practices but we're not moving the whole time), according to my HRM I burn anywhere from 400-800 calories depending on what we're doing that night. Usually it's around 600. I just finished reading NROWL and am thinking of tackling that on a Monday-Wednesday plan with a bootcamp-style class on Fridays - or committing to doing my gym's WOD (crossfit-style) on Mondays and Wednesdays with the bootcamp on Friday.

But! I also love to run and still want to squeeze in a couple of runs a week. I'm fine with those being "recovery runs," and I was thinking of doing them Tuesday and Thursday mornings - 3-4 miles or so.

Saturdays are pretty flexible meaning on this schedule I don't feel like I need to workout, but with summer coming I know I'll be biking and hiking and swimming, etc.

I'd like to fit it all in because I am one of those people who is happier when I've exercised, and too much rest makes me antsy. Should I just bump up my activity level and TDEE estimate? Right now it's at moderate.

I've always been active but it's usually been just one thing - marathon training, or hiking all the Adirondack High Peaks, or roller derby. I've never enjoyed strength training but I understand how important it is. So now I just want to do it all! Or am I crazy and at risk for overtraining?

One thing you may consider also is if you are in great shape as it sounds, you wont burn as many calories as someone not in great shape doing the same exercise. I beleive as long as you are eating enough you can workout/exercise as much as you wish. Just make sure to put rest days in there as your body needs rest regardless of your fitness level. There are signs of over training and if you are not experiencing those then I doubt you are overtraining.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    You are not moderate. Use the scooby calc in the tdee sticky and recalc tdee with the correct activity level and eat that cut value daily.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    See reading your activity makes me think I have mine set up wrong. On the days I work I burn so many calories I set the TDEE calculator to Heavy Exercise. Maybe I should change that....??? This numbers game is exhausting. You are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more active than I am.

Desari,

I am doing heavy lifting 3 times a week and zumba once and chose moderate.
  • slammy1079
    slammy1079 Posts: 97
    Options

One thing you may consider also is if you are in great shape as it sounds, you wont burn as many calories as someone not in great shape doing the same exercise. I beleive as long as you are eating enough you can workout/exercise as much as you wish. Just make sure to put rest days in there as your body needs rest regardless of your fitness level. There are signs of over training and if you are not experiencing those then I doubt you are overtraining.

I've definitely noticed that I burn fewer calories working out than I used to, according to my HRM - I guess being more in shape and lighter will do that! I feel like I'm somewhere in between moderate and very active, depending on the week and how busy I am, etc. I'm going to split the difference and bump up my cut amount to 2,000 daily, whether or not I workout, and try to keep those calories as healthy as possible, and continue eating enough to net my BMR on days when I burn a lot, and try to keep this schedule but not feel bad for taking a day off when I feel like I need it - like today!

Right? Right!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options

Desari,

I am doing heavy lifting 3 times a week and zumba once and chose moderate.

Ok. I will change mine to moderate because that's basically my workout. I get so caught up in the numbers at times. Wearing this BMF gives me my entire calorie burn for 24 hours. I was told by another pal to just track from the time I wake up to the time I go to sleep for my TDEE so thats what I will probably do.