Metformin before 5k?

Options
I am doing my first 5k since being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I will probably walk/run at about a 15 minute/mile pace. My question is whether I should take my morning dosage of Metformin before the race. I plan to have a bowl of cereal & a banana for breakfast. Thanks for the input!

Replies

• chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    i posted a topic about this yesterday.....

the other morning i was on my way home and turned a corner and a lady had just crossed the two lane road. she turned back and saw the man on the street. i than saw him too. as i was passing i noticed him shaking. i pulled over and got out. he had passed out crossing the street, and came too. he had blood coming from his head, arm, leg. come to find out as i was calling 911. he was diabetic and hadn't eaten or taken his insulin. it was 10:30/11 in the morning. i knew right then it was his sugars that caused this. what would have happened if he had been driving? or on a busier road? the what if's could go on and on.

take your medication as directed. you could go high or low while doing this. most people say when they exercise they drop in levels. i am one who goes higher. either way your medication is what helps control your levels.

good luck on your 5K. i loved my first one. did it with my 11 year old granddaughter so it was sorta slow, but, under an hour. she is not a runner. we walked 75% of it. when we saw the end, she turned to me and said "let's go ganny, we can do this". she calls me ganny, cause she never could pronoun the r when she was little. the high of running feels so good. have fun.
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I suggest speaking with your doctor about this. I know from my doctor that metformin won't cause lows. When I go work out I take glucose tablets along. They are easy to carry and there in case.

I am on a med that can cause me to go low. Had it happen yesterday during a 4mph walk. Good luck and have fun in the 5K
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Check with your doctor, but you are probably safe to take your Metformin, as it is not known for causing people to experience severe lows. I would be sure to eat breakfast first. I put in a hour of cardio several times a week immediately after taking my morning dose and haven't had any problems. It would be wise to carry glucose tablets with you just in case. I always carry them when I am on the bike or exercising away from home. I've never had to use them, but it gives me peace of mind knowing I have them if I need them.