First time running!

Options
secretlobster
secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
Hi all!

I should say that running makes me really nervous. I have crappy knees, probably from carrying an extra 40lbs around with me for years. I lost all the weight about 3 years ago and I'm a lot happier now. My fitness routine is boxing or kickboxing for an hour every days or so, and it's really an amazing workout. I'm not doing C25K to lose weight, I'm doing it to prove to myself that I can run a 5k. I signed up for http://runforyourlives.com/ in October and I really want to be able to accomplish it.

It's cold and rainy here, so I decided to start C25k on a treadmill. Yesterday was week 1, day 1. And yes, it was my first time on a treadmill! I didn't die! It wasn't really a hard challenge for me, which I felt good about, but my left knee started feeling unsteady near the end. Like the bones in my knee were clicking against one another or something.

I tend to strike with my heel, so I have been going slow. 3.8mph walk and 5.0mph jog, in order to make shorter strides and hit the tread with the sole of my foot rather than my heel. I have long legs so pacing myself is difficult.

I'm proud of having finished the first day, as lame as that sounds :P Does anyone have any running tips, specifically on a treadmill, for someone who is completely new to running? How do you handle joint problems, if you have them (I just started taking glucosamine chondroitin)?

I'm interested in answers to the "calories burned" thread, since I have a tough time figuring that out. I am guessing that for a 5'7" 140lb female it's probably around 200 calories for week one...

Replies

• mathersb
    mathersb Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When I started running I had knee problems that too - they felt unstable and clicked. I didn't want to mess around so went to physical therapy. My IT bands were too tights (and getting tighter from runnning) and the inner quad muscles weren't strong enough so the IT bands were pulling my knee caps out to the side. The PT taped my knees (differently than I've seen online) and I immediately felt a huge difference. I could run painfree with no instablility as long as they were taped.

To fix the other issues (and so I'd no longer need the tape) I needed to stretch my IT bands really well (foam roller was painful but effective) and did exercises to strengthen the vastus medialis muscles. You can google those, but one that can be done any time was when sitting with knees bent, push your heel into the floor. You should be able to feel the muscle contract. One other note: I was told to stop doing leg extensions at the gym during recovery because they worked the other quad muscles and created more of an imbalance.

Good luck!
  • secretlobster
    Options
    Thanks, that is awesome advice. I'll look into finding a PT :)
  • secretlobster
    Options
    Week 1, Day 2 down! I increased speed from 3.8 walk/5.0 jog to 4.0 walk/6.0 jog. It was a little more intense obviously, but it fit my stride better and I did not have any knee issues.

I'm using the C25K app from coolrunning and I really like it. I think Saturday I'm going to try to go for a run down by the shore, there's a nice park area that's good for running.

I feel good about where I am but I still don't see myself being able to run 5k!
  • secretlobster
    Options
    I just started Week 2 Day 1 yesterday! I did pretty well for my first time running outside, except for getting blisters on my ankles from a combination of new sneakers and low socks. Ouch. C25K is a lot of fun with the iphone/android app!

Can anyone advise me on how to find a good pace for running/jogging? I think have a tendency to run faster than I should, but I have a tough time finding a groove that feels comfortable and sustainable for more than a couple minutes.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    Finished week 2 day 2 yesterday on the track at the university near my house. My ankles were hurting from the blisters. The last 90 seconds I ran 12mph. I don't know why, I just felt like it. I was huffing and puffing afterward for sure!!

I think today is going to be a rest day even though I really want to go back at it for week 2 day 3 today!!