Birth Control and Thyroid Medication

Options
Has anyone had any problems/side effects with being on both birth control and thyroid medication? My PCP says my thryoid medication may have to be a bit higher to compensate for the birth control, but my gyno says there shouldn't be a problem. However I am having side effects that I am not sure if it's from the combo of the two or just the thyroid meds?!

New Side effects: swollen feet, muscle/bone ache and pain
Meds: Loestrin 24 and Levothyroxine (25mg)- just started levo 3 weeks ago.

Any advise or info would be great!

Thanks!

Replies

• Ktbug613
    Ktbug613 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    none of the doctors ive seen in the past year have ever mentioned BC interfering with my thyroid meds. Only thing I have been told is that it has to be more closely regulated when TTC or pregnant.
  • Daydreams406
    Daydreams406 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have been on both for several years. My Drs never mentioned it. I didn't seem to have any effects from they thyroid meds, but from the BC, yes.
  • alh228
    alh228 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have been on that same combination for about 6 months, but with 50mcg of Levothyroxine. I did not notice that adding Levothyroxine caused any changes, swelling, or pain. But everyone is different, so you probably want to talk to your doctor if they are really bothersome, or do not go away.
  • ajwang
    ajwang Posts: 11
    Options
    I called my pharmacist, who recommended going off BC. My PCP says my thyroid med may have to be raised higher than normal to compensate, but it should be fine. My gyno said he has plenty of people on both and it should be fine.

I am going to stop the BC for a month and see if the symptoms get better. Who knows, maybe I am the weird person who made all those symptoms and warning labels be on the meds!

Thanks everyone
  • kimimila86
    kimimila86 Posts: 424
    Options
    I'm on Nature-Throid (desiccated thyroid hormone) and taking birth control too. I didn't know I was supposed to take them separately and noticed spotting mid-cycle. I told my doctor and she told me to wait 1-4 hours after taking my thyroid pill to ensure they were both working properly... but that's just my doctor. Let me know if your symptoms get better! :flowerforyou:
  • ajwang
    ajwang Posts: 11
    Options
    So I took it upon myself to stop the birth control. It isn't medically necessary and between my hypothyroidism and a prolactin level of 45 I haven't had a menstral cycle in months anyway. I stopped last Wednesday and since then, I have had NO swollen feet, and MORE energy. So far it looks like I may be one of the few that does have symptoms.

Thank you all again for your comments!
  • montanadanni
    montanadanni Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    never had my endo or gyno say anything about them clashing in any way. i wouldn't take them at the same time, just because its adviced to not take anthing with your thyroid meds (food, vits, or meds).

the symptoms your describing could be either of the two.

when i was TSH was high i was very achy, like my very bones hurt, energy is low and generally not in a good mood

estrogen based BC made me achy as well and made me have bad mood swings. went to pogesterine ( i don't think i spelled that right lol) based and i don't have that :)

i guess trial and error to find the culprit