Foods to eat for success?

Options
I've seen a couple of posts here and there about the best foods to eat for weight loss success for people with hypothyroidism.
I already avoid soy, and I try to limit foods such as broccoli, kale, strawberries ( yummy but goitrogenic ) .
Should I also try to limit carbs from wheat and sugar?
Has anyone had success with limiting these, or if I just limit overall calories it won't matter if I limit these things?

Replies

• Ktbug613
    Ktbug613 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different. I know there are people on this board who have had sucess eliminating some of the things youve mentioned but I feel it has more to do with what works for their body than it having a direct corelation to the fact they have a thyroid disorder (with the exception of soy). There is no widely accepted "thyroid diet" Its really about trial and error for what works best in your body.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    its really hit or miss. you have to see what works for you. I have PCOS, hypothyroidism, and IR..so I do tend to go low carb...but I do eat some of the other foods once in a while.....like yesterday..went to carls jr and had a western bacon burger and 1/2 of my fries and a soda..i am up in weight today..but I know why..so it didnt bother me...it also helps to have a good workout routine...i lift heavy weights..(NROL4W)...but then again..i have been at it a year and i know what works...keep at it...and experiment..give it a few weeks before you decide to move on..
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Morgaine_on_the_move Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Yes, exercise has worked really well for me, and I lost 15 pounds initially, but now I need to change up my diet if I expect to lose any more. Just wondering what worked for others, food-wise. I know that every person's body is different, but if we all have thyroid issues, there we might have some things in common.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Fresh, wholesome, unprocessed foods... lots of nutrition. Forget about the empty calories in sugary and starchy food.
    My Naturopath has me eating organic - lots of fruit and vegetables - and protein from natural (antibiotic/hormone free) beef, chicken, salmon (wild only), shrimp, etc.

Food ratios of 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein seem to work best... although some with hypothyroidism do extremely well on low-carb. I workout a lot, so I need the carbs.

Unbelievably, I've been slowly increasing my calories over the past few weeks and still maintaining (I'm in maintenance)... so I you may want to try bumping up your calories in order to get out of a plateau -- but make the increase something like lean protein.

Good luck!
    Terri
  • newclothesat120
    newclothesat120 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    ok this may sound silly to some....Dr. Oz gave the advice to those of us with hypo, heat up your vegies. Metabolism is slowed so cold raw veggies only take that much longer. Have not practiced it yet...
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    ok this may sound silly to some....Dr. Oz gave the advice to those of us with hypo, heat up your vegies. Metabolism is slowed so cold raw veggies only take that much longer. Have not practiced it yet...
    Hmmm... hadn't heard that one! I eat a gigantic cold salad every day! But I do heat up all the cruciferous veggies like broccoli, cabbage, etc... because they have something in them that aggravates the thyroid and causes goiters... but heated up they are safe to eat.

I think that food that takes a little longer to digest is good for us -- that's why I eat a little protein with all my carbs... because carbs can quickly be digested and turned to fat!! But adding protein slows it down and burns more calories. I also drink ice water after meals for the same reason.