Maintenance calories vs calorie deficit

Options
kbresso
kbresso Posts: 40 Member
Hi everyone,

I thought this may be helpful for some who is just starting NROLFW. I started Stage 1 back in January and calculated my calorie intake based on the formula in the NROLFW book. Non-workout days my calorie intake was about 1980 and work out days, something like 2205 (or something like that I don't have it right in front of me). I didn't cut any calories as the book recommended to see how this would work for me.

So, at the end of stage 1 I did lose a few pounds, lost inches and overall was happy with the result. My starting weight was around 155, I was 152 by the time of ended Stage 1. I took a hiatus from NROLFW and did an upper body/lower body split, lifiting 4 days a week and cardio the other 3 days. I ended up overtraining and after a week off lifting I went back to Stage 2. During that 4 week upper body/lower body craziness, I used the calorie intake that I calculated back in January when I first started New Rules. My weight did not change, my body didn't change. I was more than a little annoyed at my body's refusal to get in the 140s.

Ok, so after reading all the great stuff on MFPI decided to try a small 200 calorie deficit to see if I can lose some of the jiggle I was seeing around my stomach, butt, hips and thighs. I told myself to stay away from the scale for at least a month. I lasted two weeks (I know the scale is an evil, evil thing but I just couldn't help myself). My weight was 148.2!!

I just wanted to pass this along. If you're are just starting New Rules, I recommend doing what the book says and not cutting calories and seeing where you are after the first month. If you are going to cut calories, keep it small. Your body needs them to build muscle, too.

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    I liked your post, kbresso, very much.

I also like the *message* that was in it, unintended or not, which suggests that 'switching programs too often' will likely lead to disappointment and frustration.

NROL4W is a good program. And, it isn't *that* long - 6 months (it isn't a 6-YEAR program, for example....).

Follow the program and you'll get the results that the program hi-lites - don't follow the program and you won't.

Simple.