How do you train? Treadmill or Outdoors?

Options
jenbroussard71
jenbroussard71 Posts: 219 Member
I normally run on a treadmill, mainly to keep a consistent pace. But also there is no nearby location to run that is safe - busy roads, no shoulder. If you train on a treadmill, is there anything that you do to transition to asphalt for races? Thanks for your input!

Replies

• BrandiH2007
    BrandiH2007 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I don't do anything differently as my pace outdoors tends to be faster than on the treadmill. The only negative effect this has is my endurance can't always keep up with the outdoor pace.
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    When I can make it to the gym...its treadmill time. Otherwise its usually pushing a stroller on the asphalt. On rare occasions, I run offload wooded trails. I've noticed that treadmill is by far the easiest. It helps on asphalt to slow your pace because it takes more effort to propel yourself forward, since the ground isn't moving under you like the treadmill. Food luck!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Now that I've started to run outdoors, I can't run on the treadmill! I find it so much harder on the treadmill.

I started training solely on the treadmill. On the advice of a long time runner, I trained at a 3% incline. When I shifted to running outside, it was so easy! No going back for me. Those treadmills hurt!
  • cutekidblue
    Options
    I prefer outdoors. I feel like I am working harder, therefore, I burn more calories. i don't know if this a fact, I just feel it :smile:
  • laceylou0702
    laceylou0702 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have been using my treadmill & outside, I prefer outside but somedays depending on the time I go it's not safe, I live in the country and there are no sidewalks.... I'm hoping once school is out I can go use the track at the highschool.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I started out on the treadmill, but I can't run on it anymore since I started running outside. The gym is stuffy compared to the great outdoors, watching the clock is boring and if I were to try and take in my surroundings on the treadmill, I'd probably fly off. Plus, I find that running solely on a treadmill makes transitioning to outdoors that bit more difficult, since it can't take into account the terrain outside.
  • jenbroussard71
    jenbroussard71 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your responses!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I just started and am using a treadmill because the gym is convenient when I'm out of work and it's getting dark out. BUT, I'm going to try running in a park near my house this weekend. I just hate the idea of running along the road, I did that once in college and someone honked at me and I was SO embarrassed I didn't run again until now.
  • stomcavage
    stomcavage Posts: 3
    Options
    I've only been running outdoors, but it's been tough because my neighborhood is very hilly. I've been keeping to the sidewalks and I've found some flat sections that I'll repeat several times.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I tried both, and definitely prefer outdoors!! I planned myself out a nice scenic route and I love it :smile:
  • coatsie79
    coatsie79 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Outdoors and actually quite enjoy it, especially on colder days, the chilled air on the lungs :smile: