Questions about metabolism reset

Options
jomatho
jomatho Posts: 311 Member
I have enjoyed reading through all the information in this group and feel like this is the place for me. I have been struggling for the past 6-8 months to get out of the 170s. Here is a brief synopsis of my journey:

Start date 12/01/10 at 230#. I just started jogging on the treadmill, not dieting, just being a little more conscious of how much I ate. In hindsight, I should have just continued with that because the weight was coming off and I was happy and energetic.

January 2011, I started counting calories, figured I was eating too much since everyone else only ate around 1200, so I dropped my calories to about 1400 (I think) and of course, jogged more, faster, longer. The weight loss slowed down, but I was still losing. I also started doing some weight lifting through that winter/spring.

By mid summer, I was exhausted, fed up with not losing very fast if at all and I believe that was my first plateau around 190#. I took a mental holiday some of July and most of August, settled into the 180s, but by September was ready to get going again.

Like an idiot, beginning of September, I slashed my calories and upped the workouts and was able to get into the 170s within a month or so. And there I have stayed. . . .

Since September of 2011 to now, I have been monkeying around with the 170s. Up a few, down a few. I have tried lower carb (not for me), I have tried Spike dieting that I liked, but had a hard time eating so little throughout the week to support my workouts. And then the day after Spiking, I always felt like crap when you were supposed to feel amazing.

My workouts are typically a one hour walk 4-5 days per week, weight lifting 3-4 days per week, HIIT 2-3 days per week, jogging 1-3 days per week with one day being a little longer run. I try to take one rest day.
My calorie intake has been all over the board from 2000-1200 gross. Net has been extremely low at times.

I broke my tailbone this winter and was laid up from exercise for a month and I could kick myself for not doing a reset at that time. Instead, I foolishly dropped my calories to 1200 since I wasn't burning anything through working out.

So that all brings me to this group and I am very interested in eating more to weigh less, but I think I am one of those people that would benefit from doing a full metabolism reset since I have been at this for well over a year now and have had at least 2 plateaus.

Here are the couple questions I have:

1) I understand weight lifting is a good thing while resetting, to take advantage of the extra calories and hopefully build some muscle. Do I need to be over maintenance for this, or is eating at maintenance enough?

2) Sounds like the goal is to avoid much cardio during this reset time? I was thinking of just some walking maybe 3 times a week along with the cardio. Does that sound like to much or is it not enough?

3) Currently I would put my TDEE at between moderate exercise and heavy exercise, but if I drop down what I am doing, I should go by that activity level correct? So with weight lifting 3 times a week and a walk here and there, keep it to moderate? I have worn a bodybugg in the past and always average 2500 calorie burns per day if that helps.

4) Last question, how do I know when my metabolism is reset? I have seen reference to 2-4 weeks or more. When do I cut to 15%?

Here are my numbers if anyone would like to do a double check for me

Current weight 170
Goal weight 145
Age 42 (female)
Current bmr 1506
Moderate exercise 2334 (Scooby says to gain muscle, I would need 2474)
Macros set 40p-30c-30f

So I am thinking I need to hit around 2400-2500 calories per day.

So am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!!!

Replies

• Livin_Large
    Livin_Large Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm curious too, I'm also trying to reset.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Hey girl,

WOW you sound so much like me! I hope you've watched my vid about the reset, as you'll see our experiences were similar, and I was just SO over it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COzMKkXeiFo&feature=relmfu

I would absolutely recommend a reset after what you have gone through.

1) Lifting heavy at maintenance is enough, you don't necessarily have to be in surplus, although you can if you like (and it can be beneficial to do so). The reason why it's not necessary, is because, straight outta the gate, your body is gonna look at everything as surplus, because it doesn't know what's going on. So lifting heavy just kinda gives it something to do, while figuring things out. This puts you at more of a body recomposition than a bulk, but it will take your body a bit of time to realize that :wink:

2) yes, the goal is to avoid tons of cardio, because your body needs to re-learn how to do the job of burning cals on its own. Adding in massive cardio during a metabolism reset just confuses the process.. Are you saying you want to walk 3xs week on top of the hitt and jogging, etc? :huh:

3) If you cut back on the cardio, then yes, figure your TDEE based on that, because you are SUPER active currently, so there should be a difference if you cut back. Or, if you wear a bodybugg, then just eat what it says.

4) Knowing how long you need becomes a VERY personal choice. Many people go for 4-8 weeks, I went longer. The way I saw it, I was willing to give my body years of "trying to make it work" with lower cals, there was no reason for me to short change my reset. I NEVER planned on going back down to lower cals again, so I just took my time....

Kiki
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the information! And yes, I did watch your very helpful video, I watched them all! I have learned so much from those and from this group, thank you, thank you, thank you.
    I am sort of at that point in the process where the scale is starting to matter less and less and I just want to eat healthy and recomp. and hopefully gain back some of the muscle I no doubt burned away in the process, ugh. In doing so, I am hoping my sizing will go down, but if the scale doesn't go with it, I could really care less.

No I don't plan on running at all during the reset, just a couple walks and I would only do that because I have a walking partner who is counting on me. I feel bad about that, I will have to think about it some more. I have to figure out how to not hurt her feelings and also do what is best for me. We usually go for an hour at about a 3.5 pace, so not too strenuous, but I do burn 400-475 cals each walk. Hmmm...

Thanks again for all your help, I truly appreciate it.