Are we doing this right?

Options
My gf and I have been working out pretty solid for about 3-3.5 weeks now. Some days we workout once a day and others we work out twice. We do cardio 6-7 times a week, weight lift 4 days (chest and triceps Monday, back and biceps Tuesday, Shoulders and calves Wednesday and Legs Thursday), and do abs 1-2 times a week.

In the first two weeks we both lost about 4 pounds. I weighed myself today and it showed no weight loss. I do feel smaller and my gf commented to me that I look smaller. We both are fitting into our clothes better too, I just thought it was weird that I am showing no loss on the scale. I eat between 1500-1850 calories per day. Any thoughts/advice?? Could it be gain from lifting?

Replies

• mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Yep, everyone told me to put away the scale and bring out the measure tape. Many times it's not really a gain per say, since you're eating at a deficit. When you start lifting water gets held in the muscle to help with growth and repair.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    You are working out a lot! But as long as you are watching what you eat, initial weight loss could be masked by water weight, as the above poster said.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Also consider that the first week you lost water weight, then you lost fat but got some water back, so the weight's the same, but you lost fat!
  • crazyb257
    crazyb257 Posts: 3
    Options
    Okay, cool, that makes sense. Thanks girls!
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Agree with other poster's comments. One additional comment--you all are working out a lot. Are you taking at least one rest day?
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    You fit better in your clothes, and loosing inches-that is great! Throw away the scale! When you lift heavy things the scale is not your friend. Go by the tape and mirror. Great job!
  • crazyb257
    crazyb257 Posts: 3
    Options
    I am having to remind myself that the scale lies in terms of fat loss vs muscle gain... We have cut back a little on the working out, having at least one day rest and most times just working out once a day.This week we worked out in the morning and afternoon twice a week. Since I posted this, I still have yet to show weight loss on the scale, but there is def a change in my clothes... gonna ignore that stupid scale now and just focus on what I see and how I feel. Thanks again ladies :-)