Going over on my protein

Options
janecarol61
janecarol61 Posts: 45 Member
Hello, I go way over on my protein every day. Is that bad? I thought more protein, less carb was the way to go.
Thanks for any help!

Replies

• FunMomof2
    FunMomof2 Posts: 11
    Options
    Are you exercising? How much over are you going?
    If you are consistantly on a higher protein diet you could put yourself at a Ketosis state which can cause health issues.
  • Peita3
    Peita3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow I didn't know that. I am always over on my protein as well and thought it was a good thing.
  • maxmariesfo
    maxmariesfo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hi, new to the group. High protein, Low carb is a lie people have been told for a very long time. It causes all kinds of health problems.

We need carbs for energy. We need carbs to repair ourselves.

The reason a high protein diet helps you lose weight is because your body can only use so much protein a day. The rest is flushed away. Literally. You are pouring your money down the toilet.

Fat is not the enemy. Carbs are not the enemy. Highly processed food IS the enemy.

The more fresh food we eat on any given day the better. Especially for those of us who are older. Fresh food contains more enzymes. Enzymes help us repair ourselves.

My 65 year old friend finally got desperate enough to get a book and start eating healthy. She was constantly tired. Desperately over weight. Had trouble sleeping. But didn't relate that to the huge amount of beef and cheese she regularly ate. She'd always sleep well after one of my vegetarian dinners.

She got a book on healthy living and started following it. She's using one of those personal blenders to make smoothies every morning. She's dropped 30 pounds and about 10 years. Her skin is radiant. Her doctor just took her off the cholesterol meds she's been on for ages. The same meds she'd been told she would have to take for the rest of her life.

Fresh kale, berries, citrus fruits, chia seeds, flax seeds, hemp oil, flax oil. I just introduced her to raw cacao powder. You don't need a recipe. Just play mad scientist.
  • yogamom4life
    yogamom4life Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, new to the group. High protein, Low carb is a lie people have been told for a very long time. It causes all kinds of health problems.

We need carbs for energy. We need carbs to repair ourselves.

The reason a high protein diet helps you lose weight is because your body can only use so much protein a day. The rest is flushed away. Literally. You are pouring your money down the toilet.

Fat is not the enemy. Carbs are not the enemy. Highly processed food IS the enemy.

The more fresh food we eat on any given day the better. Especially for those of us who are older. Fresh food contains more enzymes. Enzymes help us repair ourselves.

Hi, I'm new to the group as well....I have to back up maxmarie on this one.I did Atkins in the past, and yes, I did lose weight but I just don't believe a lot of protein is the answer. In fact, I recently read, if you are eating a lot of plant based foods, you are getting all the protein you need. I now invested in a Vitamix blender and I go to town with fruits, vegetables, flax, chia, and anything else I find in my farmers basket. I feel a lot better! My 65 year old friend finally got desperate enough to get a book and start eating healthy. She was constantly tired. Desperately over weight. Had trouble sleeping. But didn't relate that to the huge amount of beef and cheese she regularly ate. She'd always sleep well after one of my vegetarian dinners.

She got a book on healthy living and started following it. She's using one of those personal blenders to make smoothies every morning. She's dropped 30 pounds and about 10 years. Her skin is radiant. Her doctor just took her off the cholesterol meds she's been on for ages. The same meds she'd been told she would have to take for the rest of her life.

Fresh kale, berries, citrus fruits, chia seeds, flax seeds, hemp oil, flax oil. I just introduced her to raw cacao powder. You don't need a recipe. Just play mad scientist.
  • yogamom4life
    yogamom4life Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the group as well. I actually just wrote over a paragraph after quoting maxmarie and lost it! So I'm technically challenged too. In my original post, I was saying I have to back up maxmarie on this one. I did Atkins in the past and although I lost weight, I was unable to maintain it. I also found that my internal plumbing was all messed up when I was on it too (you know, like taking BM's)! I have since invested in a Vitamix blender and throw anything I get from my farmers market basket in it. I also add in chia seeds or flaxseeds. These smoothies taste amazing and guess what? I stay regular! I know, TMI!! But truly, a diet rich in plant based foods seems to agree with me. I recently read, if you are eating a diet rich in plant based foods, you are getting all the protein your body needs. Processed foods are hard to give up, but are filled with so much crap! "Eat from the farm not from the lab" and truly when you eat processed foods you are just putting a lot of chemicals into your body. Fresh is Best!
  • briebebe
    briebebe Posts: 21
    Options
    Here's a formula based on your body weight in kilograms that will give you an idea.

1. Weight in pounds divided by 2.2 = weight in kg
    2. Weight in kg x 0.8-1.8 gm/kg = protein gm.

Use a lower number if you are in good health and are sedentary (i.e., 0.8). Use a higher number (between 1 and 1.8) if you are involved in consistent and intense weight or endurance training.

Example: 125 lb female who is a regular exerciser and lifts weights
    125 lbs/2.2 = 57kg
    57kg x 1.5 = 85 gm protein/day

I almost never hit my protein goal. I'm always on the low end, but I am trying to put muscle on. Hope this helps! Keep in mind your fitness goals when deciding how much protein to eat.
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Here's a formula based on your body weight in kilograms that will give you an idea.

1. Weight in pounds divided by 2.2 = weight in kg
    2. Weight in kg x 0.8-1.8 gm/kg = protein gm.

Use a lower number if you are in good health and are sedentary (i.e., 0.8). Use a higher number (between 1 and 1.8) if you are involved in consistent and intense weight or endurance training.

Example: 125 lb female who is a regular exerciser and lifts weights
    125 lbs/2.2 = 57kg
    57kg x 1.5 = 85 gm protein/day

I almost never hit my protein goal. I'm always on the low end, but I am trying to put muscle on. Hope this helps! Keep in mind your fitness goals when deciding how much protein to eat.

^^This. I aim for 40/30/30.
  • FunMomof2
    FunMomof2 Posts: 11
    Options
    Well said maxmariesfo

Protein however is good for your after your workouts but the right protein and like maxmariesfo said we need the carbs to lose the weight as well.

Update us on how you are doing.

Don't forget to add exercise as well....IT WORKS with the right (non processed) foods. :)