Question re: weightlifting and calorie deficit

Options
Phoenix59
Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
It's my understanding that lifting while at a calorie deficit does not allow for musle GAIN, but it does build up muscle alread present. Correct? I have read and reread every possible thread and I'm just plain dizzy now. The scale really isn't all that important, but I would like to lose unwanted body fat, so I've gone from 1800-2000 calories to 1400-1600, sometimes a bit over 1600, but not much. I've used the fat2fit calculators and my bf is at 32% and I'd love to get to at least 20-21%, lower if at all possible, but at 53 that may be a stretch.:smile: Aside from lifting, I've also started running 2-2.5 miles 3x a week. Do my calories seem reasonable?

Thanks for any input.

Replies

• MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Gosh, it's difficult, isn't it? I know what you mean about getting dizzy. I think it would help to know how tall you are. And did you use the formula in the book to work out your maintenance level?
  • Phoenix59
    Options
    Miss Maggie,

I'm 4'10.5" and I did work out my maintenance level, which was approximately 1,980. I stayed at that for a month as the book suggested, then recalculated according to the table on page 65 and got a result of 1,849. I adjusted my MFP calories to 1,800. Recently, I readjusted to 1600. I've been doing this for about a week, but I don't want to sacrifice too much muscle, thus the 250 calorie deficit. I haven't felt hungry and still have plenty of energy, so I'm hoping the 1600 is the way to go for fat loss.

Ugh...I hate math!*lol*
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    Well I'm definitely no expert, but it sounds like a reasonable level for someone of your height. But wait, I'm sure I got my maintenance level to be about 1880, and I'm 5' 4" (and age 54). I'm guessing one of us is wrong! I may have to go back and recalculate ...
  • Phoenix59
    Options
    Miss Maggie,

I wouldn't doubt my calculation are off. I'm horrible when it comes to math. At this point, I don't even remember what I used to come up with that number. I went back to my book and had "maintenance" underlined and the number 1980 written beside it! I do know, however, that while eating between 1800 and 2000, I was not gaining or losing weight, but I did lose inches. That gives me the assumption that I was in, at least, the general area of maintenance.

Thanks for any help you can give me. :smile:
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    Right, just did it again. My results are:

No workout - 1688 cals
    Active workout day - 1930 cals
    Strenuous - 2170

I prefer to eat my exercise calories rather than use a general estimate, but I've set my maintenance level at about 1800 as I seem to be a generally fidgety person. I know if I go under that I get hideously hungry. You know what? I think it is a case of trying it out and seeing what level works for you.
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    Miss Maggie,

I wouldn't doubt my calculation are off. I'm horrible when it comes to math. At this point, I don't even remember what I used to come up with that number. I went back to my book and had "maintenance" underlined and the number 1980 written beside it! I do know, however, that while eating between 1800 and 2000, I was not gaining or losing weight, but I did lose inches. That gives me the assumption that I was in, at least, the general area of maintenance.

Thanks for any help you can give me. :smile:

Sounds like you've got it about right then. How long have you been eating at 1600?
  • Phoenix59
    Options
    I adjusted my calories on April 30. After going through my diary just now, I realized that over the past couple weeks I'm averaging around 1,400. Boy, this is maddening!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify your 1st question at the top of this thread: if you are eating at a deficit, you will NOT gain muscle. Period.

The point of lifting heavy, while you are eating at a deficit, is to try and PRESERVE, as much muscle as you have, from being lost during the weight-loss period. (Obviously, when a person is losing weight, they are losing BOTH FAT and MUSCLE and, the whole point of NROL4W is to make sure that, when eating at a deficit, that weight loss is MORE from FAT than from MUSCLE.)

The only way to GAIN muscle is to eat at a gain - and to make sure you are lifting heavy. You will still gain BOTH FAT and MUSCLE, but with lifting heavy, the whole point of NROL4W is to make sure that, when eating for a gain, the gain is MORE MUSCLE than FAT.

Why are you eating at a deficit, at all?? You have indicated you are losing inches while maintaining....
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I am also eating at a 250 calorie deficit from maintenance. Curious to hear some answers to this. I believe the book says you can add a small deficit if you are trying to lose a few pounds. I am stil in Stage 1 week 3. and to be perfectly honest.. I have not stepped on the scale yet... Scared!!!!