Help! I'm facing my kryptonite tonight - the MOVIES!!! : (

Options
TiffyChick
TiffyChick Posts: 89 Member
Hey all...just need some encouragement/motivation/tips. I'm going to see the live broadcast of "This American Life" at the movies tonight. My three favorite things in the world are movie popcorn, candy and coke icee's (I assure you, I'm not 9 years old). ; ) I could use some ideas for avoiding the urge to give in. Any thoughts on good snacks to take to the movies? How do you enjoy your time but avoid the guilt? This will be sooooo hard for me. : /

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Oh my, ummm, I eat all of those when I go...I tend to plan my macros and if I go over...SO WHAT? It is NOT an everyday thing. It is about enjoying life, maybe a little planning, and some living too!
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Oh my, ummm, I eat all of those when I go...I tend to plan my macros and if I go over...SO WHAT? It is NOT an everyday thing. It is about enjoying life, maybe a little planning, and some living too!

I agree...I've also found it's quite easy to fit in the popcorn if you plan for it...all of your favorites might be a little harder depending on your calorie allowance, haha, but maybe settle for one of your favorites if you can't plan them all in? (and forget about the macros for one day....like Lucia said, enjoy life! You have lots of days to hit macros. :happy: )
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I get a small popcorn and a diet coke every time I go to the movies. I just plan ahead and work it into my day.
  • TiffyChick
    Options
    Thanks, ladies. I am definitely going to hit my macro's today...just worried about going over in calories. A small popcorn is 400 calories! And the butter...well, I won't even go into the fat grams - it's pretty bad. Not sure yet if I'm going to bite the bullet and do a small popcorn and diet coke or try to take something else with me that's a bit healthier. Still pondering...hmmmmm... : /
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I've been avoiding the movies for that reason! I have to have popcorn when I go!!

My husband took my kids to see The Avengers and he came home with a large tub of popcorn....but once the kids all had their hands in the bucket, it was pretty easy to avoid eating...heehee!!!
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Do you have a kids size popcorn available? Here we have a kids popcorn and drink and sometimes it comes with a chocolate, for a way better price, and the serving size is smaller than the small popcorn. That way you could still have it and not feel guilty:)
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options

Omgoodness...love this answer so much! Although I have been known to smuggle in some raw veggies, nuts, etc. to snack on if my day has been less than stellar...or so I can go out for frozen yogurt afterward!
  • TiffyChick
    Options
    After changing a few dietary choices for my late-afternoon snack and dinner, I'm going to get to eat a kids size popcorn and have a small diet coke. I'll be 95 calories over on my daily goal, 30 grams under on my carbs and 19 (yikes!) grams over on my fat, BUT I'm only one gram away from my protein goal. I guess I have to stop listening to the obsessive/compulsive voice in my head. A girl needs a break every now and again. Now...let's see how I do for the weekend...going on a girls weekend to Zion National Park...thankfully there are a few other gals going that are also health-conscious, but I'm REALLY going to watch the empty snacking and instead choose to fill myself up with good conversation and good laughter (and maybe a bit of good wine - that's one thing I allow myself to enjoy in moderation on the weekends). :drinker:

You ladies are AWESOME! Here's to enjoying popcorn at the movies! :wink:
  • lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Don't forget, this is all about eating like you want to eat for the rest of your life... I for one do not plan on giving up my occasional movie treats. Remember, you'd have to overeat by 3500 calories to gain a pound!
  • nutritionwhiz
    nutritionwhiz Posts: 221
    Options
    Don't forget, this is all about eating like you want to eat for the rest of your life... I for one do not plan on giving up my occasional movie treats. Remember, you'd have to overeat by 3500 calories to gain a pound!

^^^^^this

although I'm glad the small movie house by me uses real butter instead of the fake stuff :happy:
    Now if I only had money to go to the movies:tongue:
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

ME EITHER...the whole reason many have gotten to the weights they have is because...too much restriction and who can do that all the time...I rather lose weight slowly while enjoying the things of life, then to deprive myself of everything. I eat snacks I love every single day...man today I did stress eat and ate THREE of my fav dark choc covered yogurt bars...I AM NOT GOING to GAIN a pound because I did that...it is in my macros and I don't do it every day...and I am not stressing because I did it either...lol

I always think if I died tomorrow....I have to enjoy everyday in "moderation".

And please guys do research on diet "anything" it so isn't good for you...another blog we will do on EM2WL site...it too works against you and causes the body to act as though it is getting sugar...insulin still spikes...yadda yadda...it also causes you to crave more too...it has been a big help in causing the obesity crisis we are seeing today...ok off my soap box and in to bed I go...
  • lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I immediately gave up everything "diet" when I started eating more... that included my beloved diet soda... and since regular soda tastes gross, I have officially been soda free for a little over a month now. I don't even miss it. I didn't even realize I hadn't had any until I was almost 3 weeks in. But nobody will ever be able to convince me that my coffee is bad for me. :) I figure I drink 150+ oz of water a day, a cup or two of coffee ain't gonna kill me. (I drink it black w/o cream or sugar anyway.)
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    This thread made me have microwave popcorn tonight...:)
  • TiffyChick
    Options
    The show was great and the popcorn was yummy. I did have a diet coke, but I very, very rarely do diet soda and don't drink regular soda's anymore. I cut out ALOT of sugar that I was eatingwhen I started getting healthier about 2.5 months ago and after I did that sugary soda's made me feel sick after I drank them. Typically if I have a soda craving I mix seltzer water with my daily serving of Pom juice and a twist of lime. It's oh-so-yummy and refreshing and curbs those cravings very nicely.