Step up question

Options
Tigermad
Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
Hello. About to start my first day on Sunday. Quick question, it says 2 sets of step ups and I have read how to do them. Problem is do I keep using the same leg as the main leg for both sets or do I swap on the second set?

Replies

• cpa8198
    cpa8198 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You will lead with both legs to complete a set (i.e., 15 reps on left, then 15 reps on right (1 set)). Start with your weaker leg.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    No...you need to do reps for each leg. If you do 10 for the left leg, you do 10 for the right in each set.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    You will lead with both legs to complete a set (i.e., 15 reps on left, then 15 reps on right (1 set)). Start with your weaker leg.
    This.. and make sure you start with your non dominant side..
  • Tigermad
    Options
    Thanks :-) sorry if it was a dumb question. Can't wait to get started.
  • Tigermad
    Options
    I'm a twit. Just noticed I still did them wrong on Sunday after making this thread. I only did 15 with the one leg and Swiss balled then 15 with the other leg and Swiss balled.

Sames as the lunges. Like an idiot I only did 15 of one leg, balled then 15 of other leg.

Oh well we are all learning on our first few workouts and hopefully next time I will do them right! Silly me
  • lostalykat
    lostalykat Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I'm a twit. Just noticed I still did them wrong on Sunday after making this thread. I only did 15 with the one leg and Swiss balled then 15 with the other leg and Swiss balled.

Sames as the lunges. Like an idiot I only did 15 of one leg, balled then 15 of other leg.

Oh well we are all learning on our first few workouts and hopefully next time I will do them right! Silly me

I think I did this as well, it still felt hard!
  • LizCO2DC
    LizCO2DC Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Glad I saw this. Turns out I've been doing them wrong too! Oops...
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options

Actually, I'm pretty sure this is correct. I do 1 set using one leg, then whatever alternate set, then the next set using the opposite leg. I'm in stage 3 now, and this is how I've been doing it the whole time.
  • Tigermad
    Options
    The book is a bit vague I must say. The wording can easily be interpreted for both ways. I wonder which one the author meant?
  • Tigermad
    Options
    Actually I have been reading through some of the blogs on here and there are plenty of people only doing the step ups the same as me.

Pity the book author doesn't post on the official site forum any more or I would post a question on there.
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Actually, I'm pretty sure this is correct. I do 1 set using one leg, then whatever alternate set, then the next set using the opposite leg. I'm in stage 3 now, and this is how I've been doing it the whole time.

Um, no, actually it's not correct and you've been doing it wrong. You are supposed to do the number of reps each side for each set. Exception is the Stage2 workout A one point dumbbell row where you switch legs midway thru the set.
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Actually, the book is quite clear. At the end of the "descend" description it says "Finish the set, then switch legs and repeat." I would give you a page number, but I'm looking at it on my Kindle app.

So it's 15 reps one leg, 15 reps with the other leg, then move on to the next exercise.
  • tinkerbell42381
    tinkerbell42381 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Um, no, actually it's not correct and you've been doing it wrong. You are supposed to do the number of reps each side for each set. Exception is the Stage2 workout A one point dumbbell row where you switch legs midway thru the set.

^^^This - it wouldn't make sense to do one leg per set, especially when you get towards the end of stage one and you move up to three sets - one leg would get more of a workout than the other!
  • Tigermad
    Options
    Actually, the book is quite clear. At the end of the "descend" description it says "Finish the set, then switch legs and repeat." I would give you a page number, but I'm looking at it on my Kindle app.

So it's 15 reps one leg, 15 reps with the other leg, then move on to the next exercise.

Yes finish the set then switch legs You only do 2 sets in total with the Swiss ball in between. So you repeat with the other leg after the Swiss ball to make 2 sets. Otherwise that would be 4 sets!
  • Tigermad
    Options

Yes finish the set then switch legs You only do 2 sets in total with the Swiss ball in between. So you repeat with the other leg after the Swiss ball to make 2 sets. Otherwise that would be 4 sets!

Maybe the author should not have used the word set. Rather finish the 15 on 1 leg then repeat on the other. This would then make more sense.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options

If you say so. But I'm pretty sure if you're doing 15 reps, you're not supposed to be doing 30 in one set (15 each leg). But this has been discussed before in multiple threads and others came to the same conclusion as me.

Again, I do all my Step Up reps in one set on one leg (usually the left)
    Do my next alternating set
    Do all my reps on the opposite leg (usually the right)
    Do my other alternating set

Not gonna change it because you're telling me I'm doing it wrong. I mean really? Look through the other threads.
  • tinkerbell42381
    tinkerbell42381 Posts: 44 Member
    Options

If you say so. But I'm pretty sure if you're doing 15 reps, you're not supposed to be doing 30 in one set (15 each leg). But this has been discussed before in multiple threads and others came to the same conclusion as me.

Again, I do all my Step Up reps in one set on one leg (usually the left)
    Do my next alternating set
    Do all my reps on the opposite leg (usually the right)
    Do my other alternating set

Not gonna change it because you're telling me I'm doing it wrong. I mean really? Look through the other threads.

What do you do when you get to the end of stage one and there are three alternating sets - two sets on one leg and just one on the other?
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,003 Member
    Options
    I'm 100% convinced you are supposed to complete all reps on both legs (doing all reps on the non-dominant leg first and then doing all reps on dominant leg) during each set.
  • Tigermad
    Options
    Did each set using both legs tonight. It killed me :-) with only 7kg weights.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have trouble keeping the lower leg from helping? It's like the more I think about it, the more my lower foot scoots up on the toes a little to give my working leg a break :)

But I figured out last night, if you go up on your toes with the lower leg-- but keep the leg and the rest of your body still-- the correct leg will do the work.

Took me about a month to figure that out.