100 grams of carbs, 4 hours of cardio a ketogenic diet?

Options
darrcn5
darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
Hi everyone! My friend brought a diet plan from one of the trainers on I Used to Be Fat on MTV. She says the macro ratios are 30% carbs, 30% fat, and 40% protein. The calories are 1350, and a sample day has around 105-110 carbs. Would eating this amount of carbs combined with doing 4 hours of cardio per day put you into ketosis? She said the cardio called for is 1 hour of intense cardio (circuit training or running), 1 hour of moderate cardio, and 2 hours of low intensity cardio.

Replies

• SmartWhatever
    SmartWhatever Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    The carbs are too high to put you in ketosis. I can get up to about 60 g before it knocks me out of ketosis but everyone is different and I rarely go above 30g. 110 seems pretty high.
  • darrcn5
    Options
    Thank you! I thought it was a bit too high, but I didn't know if all the cardio would impact that.
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Gracious, who has time for 4 hours of exercise? Wow!

I'm really low, about 20g per day. I won't do this forever, but I will keep it up while I'm losing cuz I've got plenty of fuel to burn, 50 lbs worth!
  • darrcn5
    Options
    My friend is a teacher, and she is off for almost three months during the summer, so this is how she said she is spending the summer to get as much weight off as she can.

I still need to find my "max point."
  • AnyaArson
    AnyaArson Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    30/30/40 is your standard vanity diet. I honestly can't find any way this could be considered keto, no matter how much exercise you do, since burning through all those carbs is the opposite of running a fat-based metabolism. Yes, she will lose weight (mainly because that is a stupidly low amount of calories for that much exercise), but not by being in ketosis.

Also, a ketogenic diet is aimed at a weight lifting-based exercise regime, not cardio. So again, yes, this will work, but it is not keto. Tell her to look into paleo instead.
  • djf23
    djf23 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    i think i read some where for "athletes" you can eat much more carbs and still be in keto state...but 4 hours of training would probably go through all those carbs...the bodybuilder usually do like on weekends just load on the carbs to retain muscles while still losing only fat

alot of sites and articles say people can be in ketosis under 150 grams for moderate weight loss...but under the 50 and what most people are doing like under 20 or 30 is classified as "extreme weightloss"