Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

New and REALLY need some support

graysmom2005
graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
After people bopping me over the head about this for MONTHS I think I'm going to try it. :-) I'm Lucinda. I'm a 32 year old mother of 2. I'm 5ft 6 and after eating around 2200-2300 all week I'm up from 153.3 to 157. My scale says bodyfat is up from 21% to 24% but I don't know if that's right. My jeans are a little snug.

My story is I'm a group exercise instructor, and I teach 1-3 classes 6 days a week. I now have a Body Media FIT and my average TDEE is 2900-3000.

I went and had my metabolism tested (breathing in the tube etc) and my BMR was 1607. The trainer/dietician said for me to eat 1700 on rest days, 1900 on days with one workout, 2200 on days with 2+ workouts. This helped me lose the 8 pounds I lost over Christmas/vacation and I went from 158.6-153.2. I then stopped losing. Again. For over 2 years I haven't been down past 152. No matter how much I worked out, or kept my cals in check. I asked him about my high TDEE but he insisted no higher than 2200. On a day like today ( my ONE rest day) 1700. I get super hungry.

So going back up AGAIN, and my jeans being snug AGAIN after finally losing those 8 pounds is hard....but with 3000 calorie a day burns, I feel like I should be out of the 150's for my height. I'm glad I finally weighed and did my measurements so now I can see how I tread at eating 2300 a day. Any support/help would be great.

Also....my husband will probably order us thai for dinner on Saturday, and for Mother's Day we are going to an awesome brunch...and it will be a calorie bomb. Should I eat less today since I know these are coming up...or dince my deficits are super high should I stay at 2300 today? Thanks guys!

Replies

• getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Hi Lucinda,

I am the queen of fluctuating 8 or so lbs since last September 2011. How close are you to your goal? I finally broke down and got a trainer suggested by my husband who will blast these last 14 lbs for good to reach my goal. He gave me a meal plan and a weight lifting plan (5xs a week). The meal plan consist of high protein and moderate carbs per day but very clean eating. I tried the heavy lifting/high cardio/increased calorie thing and it really did not work and I ended up gaining 9 lbs from my lowest reached from 129lbs to 138lbs. I'm a lot shorter than you 5' 3" so everything shows when I gain. My pants started fitting tighter so I knew I needed a drastic change.

I figured it out it's my eating every weekend I indulge a little to much w/ social events, family outings, etc. and it caught up with me. Also my trainer/nutritionist is anti-cardio. I am allowing myself NO cheat meals/days/weekends until I reach my goal. My trainer guarantees I will reach my body fat % and weight goal in about a month if I stick to his plan. I'm currently lifting 5xs a week with no cardio. I started at 23.6% body fat and striving to reach 14%. I'm currently going down in weight finally and plan to keep it off.

I hope this helps you may need a customized plan that will fit your body.

Tamara (getfitdiva)
  • graysmom2005
    My problem is my job. I teach Bodypump 4 times a week which is low weight/high rep. The rest are spin, core classes...and soon to be added is a mixed martial arts format (Body Combat) and a dance format (Sh'bam) I can't get rid of my cardio because it's my occupation. LOL! I don't know where I"d fit in heavy lifting with 10+ classes a week. I'm not even sure what that means. Squats etc but with heavy weight a few reps at a time? Bench press, tricep extensions etc but heavy? I'd like to try but don't know what to do and how I could fit it in...especially with teaching Bodypump. GRRRR!
  • graysmom2005
    My problem is my job. I teach Bodypump 4 times a week which is low weight/high rep. The rest are spin, core classes...and soon to be added is a mixed martial arts format (Body Combat) and a dance format (Sh'bam) I can't get rid of my cardio because it's my occupation. LOL! I don't know where I"d fit in heavy lifting with 10+ classes a week. I'm not even sure what that means. Squats etc but with heavy weight a few reps at a time? Bench press, tricep extensions etc but heavy? I'd like to try but don't know what to do and how I could fit it in...especially with teaching Bodypump. GRRRR!
    Oh...and I'm 10-15 pounds away from my goal. I'd love to be 145 pounds.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Oh...and I'm 10-15 pounds away from my goal. I'd love to be 145 pounds.

That is quite a challenge!!! I would get a specialized program to suit your active career. Meet with a trainer w/ all the calories you burn per week. It may just be all up to your eating and to be extremely strict meaning VERY CLEAN no cheats. . . use a food scale (a must!), and ensure you are getting the right macro ratios especially protein w/ all that work you are doing. I didn't realize what exactly was 5oz of lean protein (chicken & fish) until I started using a food scale. Heavy lifting is gradual. I would try for 3-4sets of 25 reps and then as you get stronger you will increase your weights and write them down. My trainer has me specialize two muscle groups a day so I don't over exert the same ones over and over again.

I am 10-15 lbs away from my goal depending on the day. I plan to remove these pounds ASAP!
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    After people bopping me over the head about this for MONTHS I think I'm going to try it. :-) I'm Lucinda. I'm a 32 year old mother of 2. I'm 5ft 6 and after eating around 2200-2300 all week I'm up from 153.3 to 157. My scale says bodyfat is up from 21% to 24% but I don't know if that's right. My jeans are a little snug.

My story is I'm a group exercise instructor, and I teach 1-3 classes 6 days a week. I now have a Body Media FIT and my average TDEE is 2900-3000.

I went and had my metabolism tested (breathing in the tube etc) and my BMR was 1607. The trainer/dietician said for me to eat 1700 on rest days, 1900 on days with one workout, 2200 on days with 2+ workouts. This helped me lose the 8 pounds I lost over Christmas/vacation and I went from 158.6-153.2. I then stopped losing. Again. For over 2 years I haven't been down past 152. No matter how much I worked out, or kept my cals in check. I asked him about my high TDEE but he insisted no higher than 2200. On a day like today ( my ONE rest day) 1700. I get super hungry.

So going back up AGAIN, and my jeans being snug AGAIN after finally losing those 8 pounds is hard....but with 3000 calorie a day burns, I feel like I should be out of the 150's for my height. I'm glad I finally weighed and did my measurements so now I can see how I tread at eating 2300 a day. Any support/help would be great.

Also....my husband will probably order us thai for dinner on Saturday, and for Mother's Day we are going to an awesome brunch...and it will be a calorie bomb. Should I eat less today since I know these are coming up...or dince my deficits are super high should I stay at 2300 today? Thanks guys!

Hi, Lucinda! Welcome to the group.

I really think that you need some input from the senior (in the established in this lifestyle and knowledgeable way, not the old way) ladies of this group regarding the conundrum created by your occupation. I will say though that the basic premises of the eat more philosophy apply to you (as they do to just about everyone). Since you have your exact TDEE from your BMF, you should eat TDEE-15% (2500 if you use 2950 as your TDEE). Eat this every day since it is based on your average TDEE. You don't have to log exercise or anything since it is all accurately figured into the number BMF is giving you. Just check every now and again to see if your average burn is trending up or down and adjust accordingly, but consistency in how much fuel you are giving your body is important. Your body has to trust that you are going to consistently give it what it needs. Also, be sure that you are watching your macros - 40 carbs, 30 protein, 30 fats and watch your sodium and fiber.

I'm sure some other BMF users will chime in to veriy or correct what I've said. Either Lucia or Kiki will be around at some point as well.
  • graysmom2005
    Thank you! I used the report function of my BMF to see what my average burn was. I will keep checking and fix it if it changes. 2300 already seems a lot...but maybe I will slowly move up to 2500. Some days I think it says I burn less. Yesterday it said I burned 3100. I taught three classes including 2 spin. On a day off running errands and walking the dog I'll be at 2800, so I think I may burn even higher on Thursdays but it doesn't work well on a bike? I eat a lot of lean meat and salad/veggies etc, so I'm going to have to rock the avocados and nuts to get up there without eating junk. Any input from Kiki or Lucia will be awesome! Thanks for the welcome!
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member

Also remember, that when upping your calories like this, you are most likely adding back in a good amount of carbs (not a bad thing).

Increasing carb counts by a significant amount does increase water retention for a short time.
  • graysmom2005

Also remember, that when upping your calories like this, you are most likely adding back in a good amount of carbs (not a bad thing).

Increasing carb counts by a significant amount does increase water retention for a short time.
    Thanks! I had really cut back on carbs...so I'm sure that isn't helping. :-D
  • rebekahgo
    there are always a couple of "what do i eat" threads floating around, if you want some ideas for ways to up your cals. i eat greek yogurt like it's going out of style. also eggs, full fat cheese, lean meats, full fat dairy, nuts, natural nut butters. my cut value is 1900 but i eat up to 2200 some days after i lift. seriously, i would have no problem adjusting up to 2500 with the additions of all the healthy stuff i am eating now that i wasn't before. your body adapts to it pretty quickly. you might just be surprised. do try to get to that cut number though because that 200 calories can make the difference between success and remaining stagnant in your weight loss/getting fit program. i've read several accounts of people hitting a plateau while doing this and coming out of it by upping their calories by 100. that little bit can make a big difference!

eta: and CARBS...like mike said. you can eat carbs again. yay!
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    I think you just need to give it some time.

It has only been a week and when you up your calories you can see water retention that could last 5-10 weeks.
  • graysmom2005
    there are always a couple of "what do i eat" threads floating around, if you want some ideas for ways to up your cals. i eat greek yogurt like it's going out of style. also eggs, full fat cheese, lean meats, full fat dairy, nuts, natural nut butters. my cut value is 1900 but i eat up to 2200 some days after i lift. seriously, i would have no problem adjusting up to 2500 with the additions of all the healthy stuff i am eating now that i wasn't before. your body adapts to it pretty quickly. you might just be surprised. do try to get to that cut number though because that 200 calories can make the difference between success and remaining stagnant in your weight loss/getting fit program. i've read several accounts of people hitting a plateau while doing this and coming out of it by upping their calories by 100. that little bit can make a big difference!

eta: and CARBS...like mike said. you can eat carbs again. yay!
    Quick question. My husband and I usually get Thai food once a weekend which I'm sure is over 1000 cals. Would maybe having that 1-200 calorie deficit during the week, but a bit of an increase over the weekend end up evening out? Or should I just increase to 24-2500?
  • rebekahgo
    i think it is probably better to meet your daily needs instead of doing the save up for a splurge thing. you might just be setting yourself up for failure if you aren't giving your body everything it needs 6 days of the week and splurging 1 day. with this lifestyle, it isn't a huge deal to eat full TDEE or go over a bit one day a week. some people actually schedule that in. but i'm betting that you could even fit it in somewhat if you are careful throughout the day and make the healthiest choices that you can at the restaurant. you really shouldn't be afraid to treat yourself now and again though. that's what EM2LW is all about...being healthy, eating what we need, enjoying life instead of totally obsessing over what we want to eat but are denying ourselves all the time.

another thought...that thai food is likely high in sodium, so if you weigh several pounds heavier the next day, don't assume that it's fat!! just drink a lot of water to flush out all the salt.
  • graysmom2005
    i think it is probably better to meet your daily needs instead of doing the save up for a splurge thing. you might just be setting yourself up for failure if you aren't giving your body everything it needs 6 days of the week and splurging 1 day. with this lifestyle, it isn't a huge deal to eat full TDEE or go over a bit one day a week. some people actually schedule that in. but i'm betting that you could even fit it in somewhat if you are careful throughout the day and make the healthiest choices that you can at the restaurant. you really shouldn't be afraid to treat yourself now and again though. that's what EM2LW is all about...being healthy, eating what we need, enjoying life instead of totally obsessing over what we want to eat but are denying ourselves all the time.

another thought...that thai food is likely high in sodium, so if you weigh several pounds heavier the next day, don't assume that it's fat!! just drink a lot of water to flush out all the salt.
    Oh it's way high in sodium? My favorite dish is this basil pork crisp...which is basically pan fried pork belly in a spicy sauce over white rice. Oops. LOL! I eat so well all week and workout SO much that I enjoy it that once. I bet with the rest of my day being clean it doesn't put me over maintenance. This weekend we are going out for Mother's Day though and I don't want to stress over calories! I already know I'm getting vanilla cream french toast. LOL. That will be way over 1000 cals. I'll probably be stuffed the rest of the day though, and hopefully will keep me at maintenance. I teach that day anyway. Now I have to squeak in a nothing couple hundred cals. Eek!