Can see the gain, keep going?

TripleJ3
TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
Tomorrow will be one week that I have upped my calories. It has been so nice to not be starving. To not have to eat carrots, cauliflower and cabbage (well I still eat it when I want to) but to eat real food, feel satisfied and even fit in some extras! But all the definition that I had in my stomach is completely gone. I vowed not to weigh or measure since every one says you will most likely gain at first. I can understand that, but I didn't realize it would be such a difference in my body!

I am 34 and 5ft 8. Currently I do the 30 day shredd in the .am. then about an hour plus of half walk, half jogging in the evening. I am getting back into running for a local run thats a pretty big deal around here and tons of fun! I do that 6 days a week. During the day I run a daycare in my home but I am mostly on my feet. I am not much for just sitting around before 9pm.

Fat2fit gave me about 2345 calories for someone who works out about 5 days a week. I try to stay under 2100. I am not sure how much I actually burn so I didn't want to choose the next cals up in case I am not actually burning enough for that amt.

Did anyone else gain more than just 5lbs and gain a few inches to see it go down in another week? If you look in my diary you will see items that sound more decadent then they are. The "dip" is actually a white bean dip. I like desserts but when I make them I use half the sugar and I use coconut palm crystals. Cookie dough pancakes are made from oatmeal I ground into flour and then I did add a few chocolate chips but again like the "balls" and other foods they sound junkier than what the ingredients actually are. My milk shakes are actually just almond milk, frozen banana and spices.

Yesterday was pretty busy so I did do quite a few quick adds. I home make most of meals, always measure and weigh. I get a tad over 7.5 hrs of sleep. I admit, this way of eating has me feeling so much better other than feeling like a whale. And I tell myself I wasn't losing before (I lost 10lbs doing the 17 day diet then slowly started to gain back, thats typical for me to lose 10, then gain back) and atleast now I have so many other positive things happening but lets be honest, my goal is to lose weight.

I was about 165lb and I am really only looking to lose 10lbs. I have been a very lean muscular 145ish with a 6pack but not sure if I can fathom that again. I can't even reach 155 so how do I dream of 145!:tongue:

Hope I gave you enough info to sort of help me along here. I already know I will give it another week but would be nice to hear if I am eating too much or any advice that will help me to see positive results!

Replies

• grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    I wasn't really keeping an eye on measurements at the time before I upped my calories, but I can definitely tell you I did get an initial 5lb gain. It happen rather quickly too. I use a Wii balance board to weigh myself and it kept thinking there was some sort of error because I had a 5lb gain in such a quick time. After about 2 weeks, my body weight adjusted to the increase and the 5lbs went away.
  • sugarsquare
    sugarsquare Posts: 60 Member
    I also gained 5 pounds. I started upping about 2 weeks ago. Yesterday I weighed and was 1 pound down. Today another 1 pound down! I feel great also so keep going! I am eating maintenance for one month before I cut so I am eating about 2100 calories when before I was eating 1200-1400.
  • laurajordana
    laurajordana Posts: 48 Member
    I would suggest incorporating a tougher strength training routine. What size weights are you using for 30 day shred?
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    I had about a 4 pound gain over the first few weeks, I was up and down with it for a little while and then eventually it went down and has stayed down.
    As for the "gain" in inches.. you cant really gain inches like that in a very short period of time. Since you just increased your cals, and to go alongside your 5 pound "gain"... you have a lot of water retention going on right now... Ask yourself this... did you eat 3500x5 extra cals in a week?? Likely not. so its not a true gain at all.. And water will cause you to bloat, which will cause your inches to go up.

Its only been a week.. give it a few more weeks and I am sure you will see that gain down and the inches down
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    I upped my calories last week at 130 and promised not to weigh. But I did and weighed 135. I weighed again this morning and was back to 130. Keep at it. I think it takes everyone different amounts of time to adjust. Good luck.
  • TripleJ3
    Thanks for the encouragement!

I use 5 and 10lb weights. There are just a few moves I can only use the 10lb weights for the first round. I have always had weak shoulders.

After the shred I will do Ripped in 30, then probably onto kettlebells. This is my normal routine. I have tried P90x but I didn't really see a huge difference in a month and it felt like a lot of just standing there. I would like to do some more strength training but its much easier for my schedule to fit in a 20-30 min workout dvd. Plus I like how Jillian is fast paced, not a lot of just standing there. I am in the market for finding a tougher routine but again, I am very busy with my daycare, 3 daughters and everything else I do so would like something within 30 min.
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Hi,

I've gained 3-5 lbs (depending on the day) since upping my calories almost 6 weeks ago. Hoping it goes down soon :) hang in there!
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    keep going! my weight popped up in the beginning too, but now i am 4-7 pounds down from when i started eating more. the more amazing difference is in my actual size and body shape. i took a pic a few days after starting to eat more (on a day i felt kinda bloated) and another just last weekend, and the difference was crazy. the bloat was gone and so was a good bit of unsightly flab. do go ahead and take your measurements though. it's fun to watch those numbers go down even when the scale might be the same or going up. if they don't go down in a few weeks (takes longer for some), you may need to tweak something - recalculate based on a different activity level (probably higher for you) or decrease activity or watch your macros and sodium more closely.
  • TripleJ3
    Thanks again. It just seems like a too good to be true type of thing. What? I can eat, feel satisfied, actually not turn down another lunch/dinner/night out with friends and still lose weight!? I can take my daughters out for ice cream and have some with them? Normally i just sit there and watch them eat, planning on taking them this weekend and having some too!
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Thanks again. It just seems like a too good to be true type of thing. What? I can eat, feel satisfied, actually not turn down another lunch/dinner/night out with friends and still lose weight!? I can take my daughters out for ice cream and have some with them? Normally i just sit there and watch them eat, planning on taking them this weekend and having some too!

I feel the same way! I am doing a maintenance reset and am eating at about 2500 calories a day now when I have been so used to restricting myself for a year and a half! I am trying to stick to eating good foods, but there is now some room for other things that life brings my way! Did someone say ice cream? Also, I like that I don't have to worry too much if I go a little over or under on the amount of something, it won't matter in the bigger picture. Food Freedom.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Oh I love this thread!

Stay encouraged...as we get older it is harder to hit the numbers we used too....but I am finding, it isn't hard to get the "look" I have always wanted with strength training hard core...I literally workout 3 times a week....3 Cathe STS routine and one zumba on back day...

I am literally 14lbs heavier than my "dream weight" but a half size from my "dream weight" clothes size....so, bottom line, you strength train you will have more lean mass which will be heavier, but your size will be smaller.

I am finding that most focus solely on the scale and some number, but really we want to see in the mirror more of a "toned" you....so that is why we emphasize the strength training...and during the process you may not see huge scale movement, but you will see huge fat disappearance...lol and nice inches lost, hence smaller clothes size.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Oh I love this thread!

Stay encouraged...as we get older it is harder to hit the numbers we used too....but I am finding, it isn't hard to get the "look" I have always wanted with strength training hard core...I literally workout 3 times a week....3 Cathe STS routine and one zumba on back day...

I am literally 14lbs heavier than my "dream weight" but a half size from my "dream weight" clothes size....so, bottom line, you strength train you will have more lean mass which will be heavier, but your size will be smaller.

I am finding that most focus solely on the scale and some number, but really we want to see in the mirror more of a "toned" you....so that is why we emphasize the strength training...and during the process you may not see huge scale movement, but you will see huge fat disappearance...lol and nice inches lost, hence smaller clothes size.

Lucia, just curious...if you are working out 3 times per week what did you put your activity level as? I do 3 strength per week as well, plus walking and my activity is set to light.
  • TripleJ3
    I agree Lucia!

Really, the scale weight isn't my goal. Its more of a size/look I want. I am judging my "goal weight" on where I was at my happiest (with my body) and to use for the calculators, but really if the scale never says that number but I fit back in those clothes and look fit, then that will be my happiest, body wise anyway! :wink:
  • ANewLucia
    Oh I love this thread!

Lucia, just curious...if you are working out 3 times per week what did you put your activity level as? I do 3 strength per week as well, plus walking and my activity is set to light.

My activity level is moderate...I workout for 4hrs per week.
  • ANewLucia
    I agree Lucia!

Really, the scale weight isn't my goal. Its more of a size/look I want. I am judging my "goal weight" on where I was at my happiest (with my body) and to use for the calculators, but really if the scale never says that number but I fit back in those clothes and look fit, then that will be my happiest, body wise anyway! :wink:

Yeah you...that didn't sink in for me until months after I started the process here...whew, it was a rough process. But finally I can walk past the scale...and don't care what it says...as long as I see wonderful progress all while enjoying life...whew...just so very thankful!