I don't like being in the 40+ category...

Options
catpow2
catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
like it's a 'special'--uh, oh watch out; it's all over!--kind of deal. (This is kind of a tongue-in-cheek post not a rant. Well, I don't mean for it to be rant). I've been exploring bodybuilding.com--great library of exercises, good nutrition info, I like looking at the pictures. Folks on that site are hard core--they look great, but I'm not in this to look like that. I probably don't have the discipline to look like that! I might if my life didn't get in the way!. So I'm striving for about about 1/2 of what I've seen on that site, if that makes sense.

Anyhow--I put a together a 'plan' using their tool and the age categories are 'teen', '20-39' and then 'over 40.' Everyone else who's not young and spry--the geysers! Why not have age ranges: 40-50? 50-60; 60-70? I mean, really, 40 and 60 are the same in terms of diet and exercise? I doubt it. I'm expecting this to just get harder. I'm really inspired by the 70 year-old-men on the site, but that's got to be really tough, right? You know it's tougher for them at 70 than it was it was 40; it would have to be. And you know what else? Um, I can do the workouts for the 20-39 age range no problem--so quick patronizing and making allowances for 40+ group! :smile:

Replies

• Mabohlale
    Mabohlale Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I hear you that 40+ should not be an age category in every application ... for instance fitness routines as you suggested. My husband is a 54 year old marathon racer and they do the 40 - 50 and then 50 - 60 etc.

I think the goal of this group (if your rant was targeted at the creation of a women over 40 group) was to create a group for women who are in similar (not exactly the same circumstances). It's been pretty well documented that our metabolism naturally slows as we age and 40 seems to be the number for hundreds and thousands of women to have a real slow down in their metabolism. So ... those of us in this group tend to not take the weight off quite as fast as say a 22 year old man would. It's not a stereotype ... or "making excuses" it just, "is what it is". We find support here amongst others that are losing more like 2 - 4 pounds a month instead of 8 - 10 pounds a month. That's all.